View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

B70 Practice, Wed., Dec 9

Rate this Entry
For a change of pace and to gage SDKs I wore my very old stretched out B70 with a teensy hole to practice today. Got it on in under a minute.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 variety

Main sets:

3 x (4 x 25, no fins)
#1 = easy speed hypoxic shooter
#2 = easy
#3 = fast SDK to 15 meters, then cruise
#4 = easy

On #1, I was kicking 16-17 x instead of my usual 20-21 in poly tank.
On # 3, I was 14 SDKs to the 15 meter mark from a push. I'll take 13 on my starts this weekend.

This seems to not bode well for the transition to f'in kneeskins. Or maybe I'm just more rested than usual and therefore have a better DPK and it's not all B70 related. Geek is probably correct that I'll be bitter after I take my beloved suit off for perhaps the last time. I think I've been swimming in it longer than everyone but Ande. I've swum in it every meet I've competed in since June 2008 except for a couple USA meets.

50 EZ

4 x 25
odds = easy speed fly
evens = easy

1 x 50 back AFAP w/fins
Went high 22. Maybe 3/4-1 of a second faster than with poly tank.

150 EZ

2 x (25 AFAP free + 50 EZ)

100 EZ

Couple of dives off the side with Fortina, the nose clip. I may use Fortina in my 100 IM this weekend.

Total: 1700

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I need to get organized and print off all my meet info and start packing. Eney recommends that I "practice" rice crispie treat ingestion. I had thought I would just cab it around, but I may rent a car. And I seriously need to update my ipod. Any recommendations?

I felt pretty decent in the water today. Perhaps slightly sluggish from the massage yesterday, though it wasn't a deep tissue. Shoulder and knee are still slightly, but not unduly, twitchy. I'm not going to worry much about "feel." I felt wretched before Rutgers last year and swam well. I've certainly rested more than usual. This is definitely the longest I've been away from the gym for a taper (at least since I've become a gym rat).

Q just alerted me to the fact that my rice krispie bars from Whole Food, in fact, have gluten. Malt, an ingredient = gluten. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_there_g..._Rice_Krispies. This is not going to be easy. I'm just going to eat them anyway, whilst cutting back on other gluten products. It would seem like a tiny amount anyway ... I'll buckle down more after the meet. They're too tasty and efficient to pass up.

Submit "B70 Practice, Wed., Dec 9" to Digg Submit "B70 Practice, Wed., Dec 9" to del.icio.us Submit "B70 Practice, Wed., Dec 9" to StumbleUpon Submit "B70 Practice, Wed., Dec 9" to Google

Updated December 9th, 2009 at 09:15 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

How teensy is this teensy hole and where?

As to ipod, and I can't believe I'm saying this, Coach Patty played some new Bruce Springsteen the other morning and it didn't make me want to throw up like Bruce normally does. Treadmill Trackstar has a newer album out. Dead By Sunrise has some catchy new tunes. The Cribs are a good choice.

Of course, you can never go wrong with The Smiths, the best band of all time.
    Great tips, thanks. I'll have to download the new Lady Gaga tunes as well.

The hole is tiny and in the ass. I'm not wearing it at the meet; it's really shot. It'll be my emergency back up suit. I bought a B70 for $100 for my last fling. Sob.
    Great tips, thanks. I'll have to download the new Lady Gaga tunes as well.

The hole is tiny and in the ass. I'm not wearing it at the meet; it's really shot. It'll be my emergency back up suit. I bought a B70 for $100 for my last fling. Sob.
    I seriously need to update my ipod. Any recommendations?
    Vampire weekend -- 1st album
    Arctic Monkeys -- anything
    Art Brut -- anything
    Kate Nash -- Foundations EP or Made of Bricks
    Lily Allen's It's Not Me, It's You
    Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown
    Swim fast and have fun!
    Keep us posted!
    Good luck! At least, you will have a nice bloodbath in some of your events!
    Since you're going to be in Boston, may I suggest some local favorites:

Pixies - Doolittle
    Dropkick Murphy's - Loud and Proud
    Morphine - Like Swimming (obviously)
    The Neighborhoods - Prettiest Girl (obviously)
    Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers - Road Runner and Government Center

These should make you conversant in some classic Boston stuff

Go more mainstream with:
    New Kids on the Block
    Boston
    Aerosmith
    J Geils

but I don't recommend it!

Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Good luck! At least, you will have a nice bloodbath in some of your events!
    I will? lol Which ones?
    Happy travels and best of luck at the meet!

Q just alerted me to the fact that my rice krispie bars from Whole Food, in fact, have gluten.
    It's a bit challenging to completely avoid gluten. But not too difficult to avoid wheat gluten.
    That's what you should keep to a minimum or stay away from altogether.

Cereal choices for people with type O blood include Rice Krispies...and Rice Chex.
    Enjoy your new found snack knowing that it's quite harmless for your chemical make-up.

Wheat gluten article.
    Quote Originally Posted by gigi
    Since you're going to be in Boston, may I suggest some local favorites:

Pixies - Doolittle
    Dropkick Murphy's - Loud and Proud
    Morphine - Like Swimming (obviously)
    The Neighborhoods - Prettiest Girl (obviously)
    Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers - Road Runner and Government Center

These should make you conversant in some classic Boston stuff

Go more mainstream with:
    New Kids on the Block
    Boston
    Aerosmith
    J Geils

but I don't recommend it!

Have fun!
    Thanks! I think I'll have to skip the mainstream options though. Not for me. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    Happy travels and best of luck at the meet!

It's a bit challenging to completely avoid gluten. But not too difficult to avoid wheat gluten.
    That's what you should keep to a minimum or stay away from altogether.

Cereal choices for people with type O blood include Rice Krispies...and Rice Chex.
    Enjoy your new found snack knowing that it's quite harmless for your chemical make-up.

Wheat gluten article.
    Thanks Quick. Good to know. So maybe my efforts to date haven't been in vain and I didn't potentially poison myself this afternoon by gobbling some rice krispie treats. Or, I would have to blame Eney for telling me to "practice" with them. lol

Love being a "Hunter":

"The profile of an O blood type person (know as The Hunter) is a meat eater with a hardy digestive tract who has an overactive immune system, is intolerant to dietary and environmental adaptations, responds best to stress with intense physical exercise, and requires an efficient metabolism to stay lean and energetic."
    Good luck Fort! Happy packing. Have you thought of making your own rice crispies?
    Quote Originally Posted by KEWebb18
    Good luck Fort! Happy packing. Have you thought of making your own rice crispies?
    Thx. Good point. It hadn't actually occurred to me as I am so busy at the moment, I just don't have time. I'll be lucky to squeeze in packing!
    http://www.chex.com/recipes/glutenfree.aspx

I think that should help. Sorry you don't have time to make your own.

Quick, if you have a gluten allergy, there are a lot of sneaky things that you have to look out for. The rice krispie treats have malt flavoring which could be a problem http://www.celiac.com/articles/331/1...ase/Page1.html.

Some of my favorites that seem to be gluten free, but are not: Soy Sauce is fermented with wheat in all but the cheapest brands; Bleu Cheese is typically started with a bread mold; Most brands of Oatmeal because of cross contamination from flour processed in the same facility.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    http://www.chex.com/recipes/glutenfree.aspx

I think that should help. Sorry you don't have time to make your own.

Quick, if you have a gluten allergy, there are a lot of sneaky things that you have to look out for. The rice krispie treats have malt flavoring which could be a problem http://www.celiac.com/articles/331/1...ase/Page1.html.

Some of my favorites that seem to be gluten free, but are not: Soy Sauce is fermented with wheat in all but the cheapest brands; Bleu Cheese is typically started with a bread mold; Most brands of Oatmeal because of cross contamination from flour processed in the same facility.

I did buy Red Mill the other day!
    Quick, if you have a gluten allergy, there are a lot of sneaky things that you have to look out for
    Very true. Lectins and gluten can have a very negative effect in some people. And more so for the with celiacs.
    Thanks for pointing that out. (I wasn't aware that Fort potentially had this condition.)

Regarding the wheat intake, I discovered through trial and error many years ago that pasta and certain breads are not the ideal foods to be eating (for me) and for the other type O's I've spoken to, who've experienced the same adverse reactions.

Soy sauce, and blue cheese forget about it. Both are like kryptonite.
    Not sure I do, Quick, I just have many suspicious symptoms of late. I'm cutting dairy and gluten to see if the symptoms abate.

I am allergic to mold -- no blue cheese for me. Gets me out of leave removal in the fall too! . I won't mulch either.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Not sure I do, Quick, I just have many suspicious symptoms of late. I'm cutting dairy and gluten to see if the symptoms abate.
    It takes about a week to see a turn-around. Once you cut back on a particular food (for an extended period) and then try it again, any ill effects are instantly noticed. So it should be easy to deduce what's ok and what's not.

The Blood type diet have been unfairly pegged as one of those whacky fads. But there is a bit of science behind it. I'm not a purist in any sense, but know what works (for me). Unfortunately it took a long time to figure it out.

A dairy free diet might suggest to stay away from cheeses and yogurts. But don't not put milk in your coffee. And if you like cheese, Mozzerella can be ok.
    Cheese will definitely be the hardest dairy product to give up. I do love mozzarella though.