View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

50 back vid from NE Champs

Rate this Entry
by , December 15th, 2009 at 12:14 PM (5441 Views)
50 back, 31.14

Stud took this 50 back vid with my mini digital. I wish I had had some other races taped, but just forgot in the excitement of the meet on day 2.

I was in lane 5, flanked by 25 and 29 year old Elizabeth Mancuso and Jessica Knight. I knew their seed times were inaccurate, as they went 31+ last year. So I knew the race would be close and it was. And they both had very good underwaters as well. I notice that they both had somewhat splashier backstroke kicks than me. Mike Ross and I briefly discussed this issue. He's working on keeping his bottom half very very still while swimming and keeping the amplitude of his flutter kick and knee bend minimal. I think I won just as much with my stroke as my SDK perhaps ...

I see from the video that I did the same breakout as the Sprint Classic where I pop my head out of the water ala Aquaman. This was a mental error. I simply forgot to lean back with my shoulders and head. I also tucked my chin too much on the start. Need to keep my head up and back a bit more.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28RQ7mbtjBo"]YouTube- Fort SCM 50 back[/ame]

My turnover looked slower to me than in August at Indy, but Q says this is OK.

Dara Surgery:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...l?tag=facebook

50 breast split:

Even though my 50 evil split is seemingly missing from the official MM (meet manager) results, it is still retrievable since it appeared on the scoreboard. My brilliant coach sent me the following email on how to retrieve splits from the Colorado timing system:

"But have no fear, if it showed up on the scoreboard I bet it's on the Colorado printout. The final times print out in easy to read columns but the splits don't.
Every hit to the touchpad during the race is recorded sequentially so if you follow a line across and you know the event, heat and lane you swam in you can find the time that displayed when you touched the touchpad for the first time.

It looks like this 5) 2 25.25 3) 2 25.48 1) 2 25.50 5) 4 53.79 1) 4 54.91
so for this heat lane 5 2nd length 50 split was a 25.25, and 100 split was a 53.79. Lane 3 50 split was a 25.48 etc.

Most meets print out the Colorado printouts during the meet and staple them to the results so it should be easy for the meet director to find. If they didn't print them out, they are still stored on the Colorado and can be printed out anytime."

I forwarded this to Ed Gendreau, the meet director. So hopefully, he will take the time to pull my split since I did submit an official request.

What's Next?

Ande always asks, "what's next?" And I'm not really sure. I'm going to revise my training for a couple months to do more aerobic /endurance work in the pool and gym and lots and lots of kicking (not that the latter is different). I'm going to use my MF more and really work on my belly SDKs. I'm much faster on my back than my belly, and would like to fix this discrepancy.

I am declining Patrick's probably tongue in cheek suggestion to remake myself into a mid distance geek. However, I may try to focus on the 100 back, 100 fly, 100 IM more this season than just pure 50s.

I'm completely up in the air about what meets to attend this year. I'd like to have a taper meet in SCY that is not Zones, since my team is hosting again this year. But I'm not sure about Atlanta. I have a yen to possibly go to Middlebury in June for the LCM meet, which would then make my summer worry free. However, attending travel meets in both May and June would not go over so well at home. For sure, I plan to swim at the Albatross meet on March 20.

As for the gym, can anyone suggest exercises to build up endurance in the lats and delts and terres muscles?

Exercise:

I may take another day off, as I'm tired and uber busy. Or, if I get all jazzed up, I may try the new P90X ab/core Plus DVD.

Fortina:

BTW, I forgot to mention that I wore Fortina for my 100 IM and 50 breast. Liked it, and will do so again! Though I suspect Fortina also contributed to me going out too fast in the 100 IM. My coach said my 100 IM and 100 back should be about the same, and my 100 IM was 2 seconds slower. Part of this must be mental -- I'm just not used to sucking it up and swimming through the pain on the last length of free.

Submit "50 back vid from NE Champs" to Digg Submit "50 back vid from NE Champs" to del.icio.us Submit "50 back vid from NE Champs" to StumbleUpon Submit "50 back vid from NE Champs" to Google

Updated December 15th, 2009 at 10:13 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events , Planning

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Your 50 back SCM might be faster than my 50 back SCY.

If you want to build endurance in those muscles, I recommend swimming. You are keeping the new "core" stuff like the twist and raise of the plate, right? I think you are covered by your existing list of core and plyos.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Your 50 back SCM might be faster than my 50 back SCY.

If you want to build endurance in those muscles, I recommend swimming. You are keeping the new "core" stuff like the twist and raise of the plate, right? I think you are covered by your existing list of core and plyos.
    Nuthin else? Seems like they're always sore ...

I am def keeping all the new core/full body exercises. FYI, Mike Ross is a big fan of med ball slamming as well.
    Could you explain what you and ross talked about in terms of keeping the lower half still?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Nuthin else? Seems like they're always sore ...

I am def keeping all the new core/full body exercises. FYI, Mike Ross is a big fan of med ball slamming as well.
    They might be always sore because you work them out 20 times a week, but no, I don't really have anything else for you. Building endurance in drylands isn't really my realm of expertise (that's wine consumption). Maybe try Jazz

Mike Ross probably knows a thing or two about stress relief. I need to get a medicine ball just for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    Could you explain what you and ross talked about in terms of keeping the lower half still?
    I think that means don't move the lower half.
    awesome 50 back! i thought you had a great start, turn and finish!

I figured that roughly but there is more to it than just that...so I am curious as to the benefits and why and how to train to do it.
    you're such a smartass! Love that!
    They might be always sore because you work them out 20 times a week, but no, I don't really have anything else for you. Building endurance in drylands isn't really my realm of expertise (that's wine consumption). Maybe try Jazz

Mike Ross probably knows a thing or two about stress relief. I need to get a medicine ball just for that.
    In fact, he commented that it was very cathartic!

I sent Jazzy a text, but I think he's still focused on "extra curriculars."
    I figured that roughly but there is more to it than just that...so I am curious as to the benefits and why and how to train to do it.
    I can't speak for why Mike Ross does it, but keeping the lower half still transfers the work up, making it harder on the abs. This probably protects the back as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    you're such a smartass! Love that!
    No idea what you are talking about
    Yikes, I had a lot of convos with Mike over the course of 2 days This was a quickie convo before his 100 free. All I recall is that a USA coach had suggested this. I think it related principally to the flutter kick. To keep it fairly still and with very little amplitude and knee bend. Probably also a bit less rotation, as he has been struggling with some back issues. You can PM him here or on FB for more details.

He has amazing DPK on his SDK, and very little amplitude there as well. Very different than Aquaman.
    Updated December 15th, 2009 at 04:38 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by psyncw
    awesome 50 back! i thought you had a great start, turn and finish!
    Thanks Neill, I felt like I hit all those technical bits too. It was just the first breakout that made me cringe a bit.

So sorry bronchitis ruined your Last Chance meet
    What's next? What's all the confusion? The one hour postal is what's next, anytime in January.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    What's next? What's all the confusion? The one hour postal is what's next, anytime in January.
    Har har, funny guy.

I can't even count past 200. Sprinter ADD.
    Fort...pay no attention to slugopuss. He is doing the 1 hour swim because he is hoping to win his age group. There aren't many in the 90+ age range. He should manage to win it, if he doesn't have to change his swim diaper too often.
    You don't need to count, someone does it for you. Next excuse!
    Short, fast and tight kick. That's what I believe the point was.
    Nice backstroke. I agree about the breakout. I know you're speedy underwater and I know zero about SDK & sprinting, but it seemed like you might have gone maybe 1 or 2 kicks too long off the turn. You seemed to speed up once you started swimming again.

You're right about my comment about becoming a mid-distance person as somewhat tongue-in-cheek ... however ... you want to build endurance in those muscles that seem to be used quite a lot when I'm training for distance ... so, start training for the 1 hour postal, make Geek happy and build that endurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    You don't need to count, someone does it for you. Next excuse!
    It's too far and would be ungodly boring.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast