View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

The Turducken Workout

Rate this Entry
Today my swimsuits and I decamped to Northwest Florida for the holidays. I had easy flights and arrived before noon, and was able to get in a swim at the Panama City Beach Aquatic Center this afternoon. The pool was set up SCY; hereís the workout I did.

1000 warmup (400 swim, 200 Rev IM K, 200 Pull, 200 Rev IM Drill/swim by 25)
Then one of the other swimmers hailed meóit was my swimming pal Paul--I met him down here several years ago, and look forward to swimming with him whenever I visit. I felt lucky to have run into him on my first trip to the pool. I joined in with him and Joe and Jeff from Germany for the last bit of their workout, which was

100 Swim

250 Pull

150 Pull, desc. By 50s

4 x 75 Pull fast @ 1:30ish

Then they all left, and I had the entire pool to myself for the rest of my workout. It seemed like a good opportunity to do my turducken set, which I hesitate to inflict on anyone whoís not a happy IMer.

Turducken set: A turducken is a turkey that is stuffed with a duck, which in turn has been stuffed with a chicken. Iíve never tasted one, but I feel like Iíve been reading about them as a novelty food item for at least a decade. The latest article I saw about turducken was not about food at all, but about privacy law, and ever since I read it, the word has been rolling around in my head. So I decided I would assemble stroke turduckens by stuffing a 50 of one stroke into the middle of a 100 of another stroke, then sticking the whole thing into a 200 of yet another stroke. I did four rounds of these; on the first, turkey=fly, duck=back, and chicken=breast; the strokes rotate through the IM thereafter. The set looked like this:
4 x 350 @ :30-:40 rest interval
1st 350=100 FL/50 BK/50 BR/50 BK/100 FL
2nd 350=100 BK/50 BR/50 FR/50 BR/100 BK
3rd 350=100 BR/50 FR/50 FL/50 FR/100 BR
4th 350=100 FR/50 FL/50 BK/50 FL/100 FR
On each round I aimed to do the middle 50 at 200 IM pace; the 50 before it as build and the 50 after it as recovery, and the turkey 100s at the front and back at basic aerobic pace.

Kick set: 7 x 100 K @ 2:00
To continue with todayís theme, I made a 400IM/200IM/100IM turducken kick set and sliced it into manageable 100 yard portions. So my 7 100s were:
100 FL
100 BK
50FL/50BK
100 IM
50BR/50FR
100 BR
100 FR

Then I did a quick 200 warmdown and hopped out.

This evening I went to my new (temporary) gym and did arm weights. Tomorrow I hope to get a swim in before driving up to my momís house in Alabama.

Submit "The Turducken Workout" to Digg Submit "The Turducken Workout" to del.icio.us Submit "The Turducken Workout" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Turducken Workout" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I like this idea! I've never had turducken either although I've seen Paula Dean construct one on FN . . . it was interersting.
    I like this. I think this is going to be inflicted on my swimmers over the break
    What a great idea for a set! Very creative. I may be stealing this for later in the week.
    Just saw your comment on the forum. I will do this set soon, I am self coached and always looking for new fun sets and this is definitely one in my style. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cathym
    Just saw your comment on the forum. I will do this set soon, I am self coached and always looking for new fun sets and this is definitely one in my style. Thanks
    Hope you have fun with it Cathy!

I like looking at the blogs when I'm at a loss for a workout. Someone somewhere is bound to be doing something interesting that I want to copy.
    This Turducken has the advantage of being low-cal!

Awesome workout. Happy Thanksgiving (belated). Hope you're enjoying the swimming in FL.

oops, just noticed this was a post from previous year (following the links from rxleakem's blog).... nonetheless, great workout I'll have to try it!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    Hope you're enjoying the swimming in FL.

oops, just noticed this was a post from previous year (following the links from rxleakem's blog).... nonetheless, great workout I'll have to try it!
    I'm not there yet, but being a creature of habit I will visit there soon. And now that the cold weather has moved in here I'm counting the days!
    My team isn't practicing on the Friday after T-day, so I decided to look up the old Turducken to do on my own at the Y.....It's a holiday tradition!
    happy days!

gigi