View RSS Feed

Random Nonsense

12/21: PM Weights

Rate this Entry
Not sure if it is worthwhile blogging my weights.

Broomstick twists, 1x20
Squats
- Warm up: BWx1x5, 45x1x5, 135x1x5, 205x1x3
- Working Set: 275x5x5
Bench
- Warm up: 45x1x5, 135x1x3
- Working Set: 180x2x5 180x1x4 failed on 5th rep
- will repeat 180 next Monday
Single arm bent over row
- 50x5x5

Submit "12/21: PM Weights" to Digg Submit "12/21: PM Weights" to del.icio.us Submit "12/21: PM Weights" to StumbleUpon Submit "12/21: PM Weights" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Do you do these sets on any kind of interval? About how long did the whole thing take?
    No set intervals. For me, lifting is all about strength, not about cardio.

Took about 30 minutes as I was pushing the pace on the squats because I got home late. That probably hurt my bench so, but oh well. 180 is new territory for me. I would say 2 Mondays took 45 minutes with 270 squats and 175x5x5 bench, lots more rest on the squats.
    Thanks that helps. I usually take a min or 2 rest between sets and a little longer between different lifts, but that's not set in stone. Usually enough time to change weights (a chore in itself when using dumbbells), and some time to catch my breath.

Are you trying to bulk up? Not sure if it is true, but I've always been told and read that high weight/low reps are for bulk and low weight/heigh reps (15+) for tone. I try to stay somewhere in between, about 8-12 reps.

Do you have a spotter? If you're lifting to failure, I hope so.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Are you trying to bulk up? Not sure if it is true, but I've always been told and read that high weight/low reps are for bulk and low weight/heigh reps (15+) for tone. I try to stay somewhere in between, about 8-12 reps.

Do you have a spotter? If you're lifting to failure, I hope so.
    I really believe there is a strong correlation between strength and muscle size. So by being able to lift more weight, you will have larger muscles, no matter the number of reps. I am lifting to get stronger, I am gaining weight, and I am not really worried about it.

As for a spotter, I lift in a power cage. Yesterday when I failed the bar was sitting an inch from my eyes. It is important to have the stops set appropriately Scared the crap out of me. Usually I fail mid rep in a fairly controlled fashion above my chest. Not yesterday
    Yea that sounds way too close for comfort. If that happened to me, I'd probably need to change my shorts . I can usually sense when I'm weakening and stop. I'll certainly grab someone to spot when I go into new or fringe territory.

I don't really want to get bigger, you don't see too many marathoners who have a bodybuilder look. Heck, my running partner from summer wears a 38" chest size!
    I am trying to get large enough to make a run for a HCwDB of the Year award.