View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Woohoo! Tues., Dec. 22

Rate this Entry
by , December 22nd, 2009 at 10:30 PM (5168 Views)
Core Work:

I did the P90X plus 20 minute ab DVD today. (Well, I didn't do the hanging parts as I don't have a pull up bar in my house; I substituted other floor work.) I prefer this DVD to ab ripper. The movements use the whole trunk (not just abs) and are more complex than the other DVD. There is also an increased emphasis on balance. I can't seem to find a list of all the exercises anywhere, and can't remember all the names. There were 3 different variations for hanging ab work that I like and will try at the gym. Two of the exercises resemble the squat swing that I'm fond of.

Then I got out my power wheel and did

roll outs, 4 x 25
pike ups, 2 x 15

Swim/SCY @ Mason:

Drove out to Mason tonight. Not terribly crowded. We had a "12 days of Xmas Workout."

Warm up:

400 swim
200 kick
4 x 25 scull
400 pull (I did 3 x 100 dolphin kick w/board @ :20 RI)
200 IM drill
2 x 25 shooters

Pre set:

8 x 25 kick @ :30
odds = IM order
evens = free

8 x 25 swim @ :25
odds = IM order
evens = free

Main set: 12 Days of ...

(I don't remember most of the intervals. It was hard enough to keep count!)

12 lengths: 300 IM
11 lengths: 275 free
10 lengths: 250 kick (board, free)
9 lengths: 225 stroke (1st & last length fast) + 1 minute rest
8 lengths: 200 IM
7 lengths: 175 free
6 lengths: 150 kick (board, dolphin)
5 lengths: 125 stroke (1st & last length fast) + 1 minute rest
4 lengths: 100 IM
3 lengths: 75 free
2 lengths: 50 kick (board, dolphin)
1 length: 25 AFAP (did shooter w/fins, went 9)

150 EZ

Total: 3900

Commentary:

The legs were still tired after yesterday's kick fest, and I started with the calf cramps on the last 4 "days." But this was a nice aerobic workout for me.

Woohoo:

I was very happy and relieved that the meet director found my 50 evil split in the time records. And here it is in the event rankings:

USMS Times Reported for Women SCM 50 Breast Ages 45-49
2009 Season (2009-01-01 through 2009-12-31)

# Name Age Time Club Meet
1 Livingston, Leslie C 48 37.62 GMUP New England LMSC SCM Championships

I have to say this gives me a huge chuckle. I've never cracked the Top Ten in evilstroke before. In fact, I'm not sure if I even did 10 lengths of evil kick in the last year ...

When converted to yards, it's a 33.4 -- .7 faster than I went tapered in yards earlier this year and 1.4 faster than I swam at the Sprint Classic in October. I swam this event at NE Champs in 2007 and went 41.5. No idea what the cause of my evilstroke success is (although I know the pre-pullout dolphin kick helps me) ... I suspect it's the suit. Q thinks it's the squats. Whatever it is, I may just retire on top if/when the suits are banned. lol

It's also good to know that in my gridge re-match with Stud, I out-touched him by .07 after he crushed me at the Sprint Classic in this event. Of course, he had not yet donned the magic stretched out B70 at this point ... But that was the same scenario when we squared off at the SC.

I also see that the final LCM TTs were released, and my 200 back and 100 fly from the USA meets that were omitted from the prelim list were included. So all is happy in Fortland this December.

Submit "Woohoo!  Tues., Dec. 22" to Digg Submit "Woohoo!  Tues., Dec. 22" to del.icio.us Submit "Woohoo!  Tues., Dec. 22" to StumbleUpon Submit "Woohoo!  Tues., Dec. 22" to Google

Updated December 23rd, 2009 at 04:55 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

Congrats on your evil stroke glory Fort! Your sprinting trifecta is now a quadranium (I think I made that word up but it seems pretty accurate).
    I like the 12 days of Christmas workout. I'm going to copy it and take it to Nasti's tomorrow
    Oh I think the evil success may be a momentary joke of a magic elf ...

The 12 Days workout was not that easy and kinda funl.
    Updated December 23rd, 2009 at 10:07 AM by The Fortress
    It's also good to know that in my gridge re-match with Stud, I out-touched him by .07 after he crushed me at the Sprint Classic in this event. Of course, he had not yet donned the magic stretched out B70 at this point ... But that was the same scenario when we squared off at the SC.
    I was tired and it was still early...
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    Did you have a hang nail by chance?
    I suspect it's the suit. Q thinks it's the squats.
    I suspect that Q is a sarcastic little ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    I thought it was mid afternoon by then ....

I do love Q's hangnail "excuse." I will have to invoke it sometime ...
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I suspect that Q is a sarcastic little ****.
    Really? I'm sure that's escaped us all.
    good news
    you might be a closet breastroker
    good news, glad they found it
    What types of hanging work did you miss without the pullup bar? While I generally like pullups now (I could barely do them in high school), I'm starting to get bored and could mix things up.

Congratulations on that 50 breast! Now you gave me something to shoot for. Unfortunately, I suspect the mens 40-45 times are a bit tougher to crack.
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    good news, glad they found it
    Thanks, Ande. I'm going with fluke for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    What types of hanging work did you miss without the pullup bar? While I generally like pullups now (I could barely do them in high school), I'm starting to get bored and could mix things up.
    I love hanging core work! It's harder, more effective and more fun than using that captain's chair. Plus, you build forearm strength from the hanging.

Here's some things to try while hanging:

straight leg raises (do slowly)
    straight leg circles (very tough)
    reverse crunch (bring knees up and back down)
    kick outs (bring knees up, kick out legs and slowly lower)
    twists (bring knees up and circle or twist from side to side)
    swing crunches (bend knees with bottom of feet pointing at opposite wall. do isometric crunches forward and back with torso. hard!)

I think there was another one on the DVD, but I'd have to watch again to see what it was.

If you're tired of regular pull ups, do jumping pull ups on a box (CF exercise). These are exhausting! Do them fast and furious.
    Can you give me the idea where to get P90X plus ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyman
    Can you give me the idea where to get P90X plus ?
    http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...s/p90x_plus.do

Or try ebay. That's where I got the one DVD. It's intended to supplement the P90X original version not to be a stand alone program.
    Thank you Leslie
    Congratulations on securing those times for the history books (having swum them first!)!
    I like the "12 Days of Christmas" and will try it in January.
    My latest bug - and your enjoyment of P90X brought it back to mind - is circus school. Under "adult classes" in the site linked there is a "circus fitness" class. Somehow I think you'd get a kick out of it. As would I! I'd love to do the aerial work, especially the Spanish web.
    http://www.actorsgymnasium.com/

(I should do this before I congeal any further, LOL!)
    Marjorie
    Quote Originally Posted by ViveBene
    Congratulations on securing those times for the history books (having swum them first!)!
    I like the "12 Days of Christmas" and will try it in January.
    My latest bug - and your enjoyment of P90X brought it back to mind - is circus school. Under "adult classes" in the site linked there is a "circus fitness" class. Somehow I think you'd get a kick out of it. As would I! I'd love to do the aerial work, especially the Spanish web.
    http://www.actorsgymnasium.com/

(I should do this before I congeal any further, LOL!)
    Marjorie
    I would love the flying aerial work!