View RSS Feed

Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton

Merry Christmas & Mood Tips

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Comrades!

Merry Humanist Christmas one and all.

I suspect today's vlog may not be exactly the "big present" you were hoping for.

In fact, it might not even qualify as much of a "stocking stuffer" for those of you whose minds are "right."

However, if somewhere out there in the greater community of swimmers there exists a single seasonally affected soul, and if this solitary seasonally affected soul have already watched ad nauseam Its a Wonderful Night and/or A Christmas Story and/or any of the other innumerably rerun TV shows that are on tonight and tomorrow night and every night for the foreseeable future, it is to you--fellow traveler in this veil of tears!--that I dedicate this brand new Yuletide triple feature.

The first film is a brief introduction by me to the second film, which is an overly long review of some of the current psychiatric literature on mood improvement.

You will note I have left out some of the strategies that have received attention of late, particularly data from the TC-5214 phase 2 trial, which indicated that targeting Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptors may prove to be a beneficial augmentation treatment with promise for providing relief to millions of patients who do not respond well to first-line SSRI therapy.

I jest!

Everyone is familiar with that research, so I have concentrated my droning lecture on other findings that are not only of scientific note but which will perhaps prove a little more actionable in the near term for patients like you and me.

The final, and without doubt best, of tonight's triple feature is yet another Christmas mood enhancing charmer by my twin brother John.

I think those of you who live in hot house climes like California, Florida, Texas, and Arizona may find this brisk little glimpse into the world of snow quite refreshing and soul cleansing.

Again, Merry Christmas one and all! And I will not be at all offended if you use my two filmic contributions as a form of sleep aid. I have been told that my haltingly monotonous lecture style may soon attract the attention of regulators at the FDA itself, so powerfully soporific is its influence of listeners.

Turn the lights down low, get under your comforter, click the first film, and....
You are getting very sleepy....

1. Introduction to Jim's Seasonal Mood Tips for Swimmers:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb8es8vh778"]YouTube- Introduction to Jim's Seasonal Mood Tips for Swimmers[/ame]

2. Jim's Seasonal Mood Tips for Swimmers:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kfa-R_yOS8"]YouTube- Video 17[/ame]

3. Jingle All the Way:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoA3WUda6OU"]YouTube- Snow Day[/ame]

Submit "Merry Christmas & Mood Tips" to Digg Submit "Merry Christmas & Mood Tips" to del.icio.us Submit "Merry Christmas & Mood Tips" to StumbleUpon Submit "Merry Christmas & Mood Tips" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Snow day is your best creation to date Jim. I applaud your creativity and hope you win a golden globe for best supporting video distributor on all of USMS.
    Mr. Q, I am so grateful for your compliment to my DNA! You, sir, have a merry christmas very soon--12 hours and 56 minutes, by my reckoning.
    I'm playing all 3 videos at the same time... try it!
    You have a Merry Christmas too Jim. Don't do anything under the tree I wouldn't do.
    Q--I can't fit under our tree, so not to worry!

A--once again, the National Treasure discovers the perfect way to experience the Thornton twins. The Thornton Tower of Babel!
    If Gabrel Byrne could please, for the love of God, be nudged off the set of HBO's "On Treatment", I for one know who I think should be TV's newest caring nurturer, none other than the magnificently knowledgeable and empathetic Jim Thornton. Brud, you really are amazing, funny and yet so completely idiosyncratically profound!
    Thanks for the insights. I have a Sharpie lodged in my mouth sideways and I bid you all a Merry Christmas and a Good Night!!!
    Thanks, Rusty. I am a peaceful natural mystic right now. well, maybe not natural. but peaceful. sleep in heavenly peace...while phosphorescent lime green moths swarm gently over the white skies of your ceiling
    MERRY CHRISTMAS AND THANKS FOR THE FUNNY VIDEOS!
    You are more than welcome, Mr. Rodent! By the way, John's sledding video took place on some hill-like slope in Ocean City, very close to where you currently prosecute scumbags for a living, protecting us all who visit the Jersey shore from the wages of scumbaggery.

Anna Lea Matysek emailed me a link--after I posted my movie, I might note--from a LA Times blogger discussing the Tylenol and hurt feelings/social rejection research. It is pretty interesting, if you ask me. I know that Merck was researching a promising drug that was supposed to target so-called Substance P in the brain, the P standing for pain. The idea here was much the same: that physical and mental anguish share much in common, and that kibboshing "pain" in general can help ameliorate an anguished mood.

Alas, the Substance P antagonist drug failed to live up to initial hype. But who knows? Between the acetaminophen research and the look into acetylcholine nicotinic receptors, perhaps the future of misery itself looks bleak. Bleak for misery, that is; and bright for misery sufferers.

Here's the link (with considerable thanks to the always eagle-eyed and affable Anna Lea)-- http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/boos...e-morning.html
    Thank you for the informative vlog!
    I've never heard the Tylenol theory. Is that a large enough dose to cause stomach problems?
    I tend to get my feelings hurt in social situations alot lately. It started happening around the time I turned 50. I probably need older friends, a personality redux, or perhaps tylenol.
    Anyways as always very interesting.
    The sledding video was great! If we would have had snow today instead of rain I would have hit the slopes!
    Tylenol is not the drug that hurts your stomach. That's the various NSAIDs, like naproxen and ibuprofen, which kibbosh these prostaglandin compounds that maintain the integrirty of your stomach lining.

But Tylenol can get you in trouble with drinking. Too much of both combined can hurt your liver.

Bob, I think what you were trying to tell me before is that my tendency to wallow in winter blues and social rejection does not make things better. I need to break the cycle by distration, activity, and prosocial deeds for others. Thanks for the advice, which I did try to incorporate into the vlog.
    Yes I was! And the rumination theory is right on. Cycling negative feelings/thoughts is total self destruction. Of course like everything else it's easier said than done.
    The next time I go to a social event I am going to take tylenol. I would gladly give up a drink or two if the tylenol helped me feel more socially in tune. (I can't believe I just said that. I sound like a whiney mis-fit)
    Just take Emma with you. She will be your wing man, and you will be surrounded by adoring fans wherever you go.