View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Stole Ande's Workout Again, Monday, Dec. 28

Rate this Entry
by , December 28th, 2009 at 04:56 PM (2697 Views)
Drylands:

Did the P90X Plus interval DVD this morning. 10 minutes of warm up and 30 minutes of workout. I made the same modifications as before (no medium pace -- 40 second slow + 20 seconds fast). The DVD is somewhat similar to the plyo DVD from the original P90X. One thing I like about P90X is all the DVDs seem to have a core focus -- key for swimming.

Here's a sample exercise from the DVD (the easiest one on it):

[ame="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2914189/p90x_interval_x_plus_sample/"]P90X Interval X Plus Sample - Video[/ame]

Swim/Solo/SCY:

Warm up:

600 variety

Main set:
(Unlike Ande, I used fins & MF. In part, I was just really pressed for time.)

10 x 100 @ 1:30
(2 IM + 2 back kick + 2 breast + 2 back kick + 2 IM)

50 EZ

8 x 100 kick-swim @ 1:25
(kick-swim backstroke by 50s)

50 EZ

6 x 100 kick @ 1:20
flutter kick w/board
(this wasn't that easy since I'm much faster underwater than with board, went 1:09-1:10s)

50 EZ

4 x 100 kick w/MF @ 1:15
odds = on back (8 SDKs)
evens = w/board (barely made last one)
(struggled with cramps on the 1st one)

50 EZ

2 x 100 kick w/MF @ 1:10
(on back, 9 SDKs per 25)

50 EZ

1 x 100 kick @ 1:05
(on back, 10 SDKs per 25, went :58)

100 EZ

Total: 4050, 2300 kick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I had considered doing the whole Ande set with my MF. But my legs felt tired in warm up from yesterday's run and this am's plyo/interval workout. So I decided to do some swimming early in the set. Probably got less rest this way. lol

I have no New Year's Resolutions particularly. Except possibly to do my RC exercises more consistently and stretch more. (I saw that Keiko had resolved to do 2 x 30 minutes of strength + flex every day. Every day!) I'll have to mull this over, though I"m not really a resolutions person. Any suggestions? (Aside from "ditching fins." lol)

My legs are already feeling rather dead ...

Submit "Stole Ande's Workout Again, Monday, Dec. 28" to Digg Submit "Stole Ande's Workout Again, Monday, Dec. 28" to del.icio.us Submit "Stole Ande's Workout Again, Monday, Dec. 28" to StumbleUpon Submit "Stole Ande's Workout Again, Monday, Dec. 28" to Google

Updated December 28th, 2009 at 05:08 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

Any suggestions?
    Swim every event in a meet at least once! Seriously, it's fun. I even did the 50, 100 and 200 evil without complaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    Any suggestions?
    Swim every event in a meet at least once! Seriously, it's fun. I even did the 50, 100 and 200 evil without complaining.
    Its actually a reasonably fun idea IF I could swim in enough meets. And, unfortunately, sprints require practice. The other hitch is that I may retire from evilstroke without my cheating suit. But I will definitely swim a new event this year!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    And, unfortunately, sprints require practice.
    What are you talking about? I swam the 50s in fly and breast this summer at a meet without actually swimming either in practice AT ALL.

I think you mistake "swimming" and "top ten times".
    Except possibly to do my RC exercises more consistently and stretch more. (I saw that Keiko had resolved to do 2 x 30 minutes of strength + flex every day. Every day!)
    Daily RCs
    Daily Strength
    Daily flexibility

I could make up some stuff for you to experiment with during the year, but you are actually really good at that already, so I will leave that to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    What are you talking about? I swam the 50s in fly and breast this summer at a meet without actually swimming either in practice AT ALL.

I think you mistake "swimming" and "top ten times".
    Nah, if you want to improve your sprint times and technical aspects in general, you have to practice under racing conditions. Meets are the best for that, if you have the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain

I could make up some stuff for you to experiment with during the year, but you are actually really good at that already, so I will leave that to you.
    No, please make up stuff and share!
    You are doing some long workouts these days Fort! Are you going to throw some distance free into your meet program?
    You really seem to like the PO9X dvd's. I've been cruising e-bay and trying to find a bargain on them. I'd pay full load but I'm afraid I'd let them sit around and not use them.
    Your resolution should be to just keep up what you've got going now. You have a great woorkout agenda and fantastic motivation!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    You are doing some long workouts these days Fort! Are you going to throw some distance free into your meet program?
    No! I'll leave that to you! And notice I'm not doing much freestyle in practice. I'm just in an aerobic phase while I reboot this training cycle. It's also valuable (I think) to do some kicking volume early in the season. Also, frankly, after so much race pace and tapering and a taper meet, I just mentally want to do something else for a month or two. (Though I'll start back with more race pace work fairly soon.) Ande calls this "layering" -- getting in great shape first and then shifting to strength and speed. Though I'll never be in his kind of aerobic shape.

And even though these workouts seem "long," they don't take any longer than my sprinter workouts particularly!

Yeah, I think my main resolution should be stretching, though I just dislike it. Haven't done a lick of it lately. It'll literally have to wait to New Years. Though there is some stretching in the P90X DVD too. Not sure you need all of them by the way. Depends what you want to focus on. You don't need any of the cardio ones; perhaps core?
    Yes definitely core! I'm waiting till I can purchase a couple singles on e-bay or anywhere for that matter.
    Are you finished with "hot yoga"? It sounded grueling!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Yes definitely core! I'm waiting till I can purchase a couple singles on e-bay or anywhere for that matter.
    Are you finished with "hot yoga"? It sounded grueling!
    I'm not sure actually. I ilke it better than regular yoga and it's automatic stretching. I haven't done it lately b/c there's no way I can take that much time with the kids out of school and relatives in town. But I may do another month of it and decide. And I still need to take Jazz.

Do you do any yoga?
    Updated December 29th, 2009 at 09:56 AM by The Fortress
    good job
    that set'll give you jelly legs
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    good job
    that set'll give you jelly legs
    And I stole another set today that gave me jelly legs!