Aerobic Set:

5 x 200 FRIMs @ 3:00
FRIMs = free IM done as free/fly+free/back+free/breast+free/free

50 EZ

Drill Set:

5 x through:

100 breast PLD w/fins @ 2:00
50 breast pull w/pullbuoy

I like these drills, but my L (lunge) and D (dolphin) seem awfully close together timing wise.

50 EZ

Kick Sets:

Chris S.'s Mini Backstroke Kick Mountain, no fins:

1 x 25 @ :30
1 x 50 @ 1:00
1 x 75 @ 1:30
1 x 100 @ 2:00
1 x 75 @ 1:30
1 x 50 @ 1:00
1 x 25 @ :30

12 SDKs per 25 -- I should have done more SDKs, but my breathing is somewhat impaired by food and xmas tree allergies.

Ideally, I would have liked to do 2 rounds of this set, but I didn't have sufficient time today. I had plenty of rest, which was welcome with the hypoxic work. I might bump the intervals down by :05 next time I do this set.

Speed set:

10 x 50 dolphin kick on back w/MF-Dolphina @ 1:00, strong effort

Went: 25, 25, 25, 24, 24, 24, 24, 23, 23, 22.5

200 EZ

Total: 3600

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Not sure if it was the crappy night's sleep on the coach last night or yesterday's somewhat intense drylands, but I was beat today and felt really crappy during warm up and the first set. Finally started to find a cruiser pace on the evil drill set. My shoulders and arms were quite sore and tired, and I didn't even think I did that much upper body work yesterday. Hmmm ...

I can't decide what to do tomorrow: gym/swim or yoga/swim or gym/yoga. I was going to check out the Reston Bikram yoga place to compare it to Falls Church. I still feel like I need to get some yoga in b/c it's a ton of stretching, and I'm awful about doing it on my own at night.

Meets:

I'm thinking I may cruise in late to the Tropical Splash on Jan 31. Have to check my kid schedule. The 100 IM and 50 free are toward the end of the meet. I didn't swim those events at the Sprint Classic. And, I guess it's possible the tech suits may still be legal then if FINA uses a grace period and/or USMS hasn't issued a ruling yet on SCY. I would have loved to do the 100 back, but it's way too early in the am for me. (And, on the other hand, manual timing means slippery backstroke starts.)

Suits:

I was checking out the newest generation of suits. It's hard to believe the Speedo LZR Elite kneeskin is $375. It can't be that different than the regular Pro ... Here's the new B70: http://www.blueseventy.com/nerotx. If/when our current suits are banned, I'm going to stick with B70.

Miscellaneous Questions:

1. Anyone have any tips for teaching 10 & unders flip turns?

2. Anyone have any backpack recommendations? I've had two TYR backpacks recently and they have both torn across the front near the zipper area. I've lost a pair of goggles and a shirt from falling out the top.

3. Anyone else a Lactard?

Is anyone else a lactard with a lactose allergy or lactose intolerance? If so, have you tried lactate tablets and do they help the symptoms and allow you to eat some dairy? I have surveyed some friends and done some internet research and it seems to vary depending on whether you have an allergy (don't work) or an intolerance (may work, especially wrt cheese). I'm not sure whether I have an intolerance or an allergy.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=43471
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-allergy/AN01109

My symptoms are all similar and/or overlapping with my gluten problems. (Which suck -- I was tempted to rip my daughter's tasty Whole Foods burrito out of her hands today and dreamt of bagels and bread last night while I tossed and turned.)

4. I've been enjoying not doing heavy weights. But does anyone think it's good to cycle a period of mostly body weight/plyo/core (my current regimen) with a cycle of heavier weights, say from season to season?

5. Random. I saw "Up in the Air" with George Clooney Saturday night, and there was a brief scene with him swimming. He had a terrible catch with his left hand, and this reduced his hotness factor somewhat. lol

Submit "Swim, Monday, Jan. 4" to Digg Submit "Swim, Monday, Jan. 4" to del.icio.us Submit "Swim, Monday, Jan. 4" to StumbleUpon Submit "Swim, Monday, Jan. 4" to Google

Updated January 5th, 2010 at 06:10 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cheese is low in lactose. I wonder about people who say they can't eat it because of lactose intolerance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Cheese is low in lactose. I wonder about people who say they can't eat it because of lactose intolerance.
    From what I can tell, milk seems to be the primary offender. But if you have an allergy, any amount of lactose will cause a reaction. And there are degrees of intolerance.
    Updated January 5th, 2010 at 08:42 AM by The Fortress
    hahahaha on the Clooney factor. I also had a critical eye on his swimming but unlike some people, I didn't hate - I gave his royal hotness the benefit of the doubt (hotel pool) and immediately resolved to work one-on-one with Mr C (in a strictly tutorial capacity),
    Quote Originally Posted by gigi
    hahahaha on the Clooney factor. I also had a critical eye on his swimming but unlike some people, I didn't hate - I gave his royal hotness the benefit of the doubt (hotel pool) and immediately resolved to work one-on-one with Mr C (in a strictly tutorial capacity),
    At least Tom Hanks could do flip turns in Angels & Demons. Though he was crossing over big time. lol
    I have an ongoing backpack obsession. My current swim bag is a Deuter. It is just over 1.5 years old and seems mostly indestructible. Prior to that I had a North Face, which is now my spin bag and it has shown no signs of wear. I also had a great large Jansport and REI bag before those, all great bags. We bought #1 a new Speedo pack for Christmas. It is really sweet but seems kind of flimsy and made of nylon but has all the pockets and is huge.

This site has great prices and free shipping:

http://www.rockymountaintrail.com/default.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    I have an ongoing backpack obsession. My current swim bag is a Deuter. It is just over 1.5 years old and seems mostly indestructible. Prior to that I had a North Face, which is now my spin bag and it has shown no signs of wear. I also had a great large Jansport and REI bag before those, all great bags. We bought #1 a new Speedo pack for Christmas. It is really sweet but seems kind of flimsy and made of nylon but has all the pockets and is huge.

This site has great prices and free shipping:

http://www.rockymountaintrail.com/default.aspx
    Thanks Geek. I'll check it out. The TYR and Speedo bags do seem pretty flimsy to me, although all the kids have them. What model Deuter do you think is best for swimming?
    I have the Deuter Trans Alpine 30. It's a bit undersized for a meet day pack but fine for daily use. The JanSport Odyssey is a huge backpack that served me very well if you need to stuff a lot of junk in it. REI is a good place to go compare and then order on the web for better prices.
    WRT backpacks, I recently bought the North Face Recon at REI with my year end dividend: http://www.rei.com/product/770396

Plenty of volume (i keep my fins, 2 sets of paddles, pull buoy in the main compartment, goggles, wallet, etc in the front compartment), and mesh side and front pouches for drying wet suits and microfiber towel. And it's not a swim bag, so I could use it should I ever have a minute to go for a hike. I can show it to you on Thurs if you like.
    Don't know why, but I don't use backpacks for sports but use a normal duffel bag. Several years ago I bought an Ironman duffel from Costco.com, and it looks exactly the same today as when I first used it. Very sturdy zippers, tons of pouches. I do get the occasional question on if I do Ironman races...now that I'm actually doing the 3 sports I don't feel as guilty. Back in grad school I picked up a Jansport backpack at Costco....it has been to Japan (up and down Mt Fuji), to Europe many times, Alaska, Hawaii, and many other places. I've stuck a computer in it, but it isn't a traditional computer backpack.

The movie hit close to home for me, as I'm a major points horder. I also stay at Hiltons (and the family of hotels), but never even attempt a real swim in a hotel pool. Part of the fun (maybe the only fun) of my biz travel is swimming with other USMS teams.
    I also have the North Face Recon. It's my spin bag. I don't find it to be large enough for a lot of gear. The front mesh pocket is nice, however, for goggles, gloves, or anything that needs to dry out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    WRT backpacks, I recently bought the North Face Recon at REI with my year end dividend: http://www.rei.com/product/770396
    Did you get it in Truckee Pink?
    3. Lactose intolerance sometimes goes away once you stop eating gluten. If you are allergic to lactose or something else in milk, lactaid pills won't help in the least.

4. http://www.usms.org/forums/showthrea...ion#post193126

But cycling on and off something to maintain interest seems like a great idea. Last season you put a lot of energy into heavy weights and this season that energy is freed up to try a new experiment.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    I have the Deuter Trans Alpine 30. It's a bit undersized for a meet day pack but fine for daily use. The JanSport Odyssey is a huge backpack that served me very well if you need to stuff a lot of junk in it. REI is a good place to go compare and then order on the web for better prices.
    I think I need something pretty big for all my toys and whatnot. I'll check out the JanSport Odyssey!
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo

Plenty of volume (i keep my fins, 2 sets of paddles, pull buoy in the main compartment, goggles, wallet, etc in the front compartment), and mesh side and front pouches for drying wet suits and microfiber towel. And it's not a swim bag, so I could use it should I ever have a minute to go for a hike. I can show it to you on Thurs if you like.
    Thanks, Pete! I will definitely check it out on Thursday to see whether it's big enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    3. Lactose intolerance sometimes goes away once you stop eating gluten. If you are allergic to lactose or something else in milk, lactaid pills won't help in the least.
    My doc(s) definitely thinks it's gluten. And I seem to keep inadvertently glutening myself. F! In fact, I just had some salad dressing that has malodextrin in it, which I see may or may not be gluten free.

I tried an experiment last night. I took a lactate pill before eating fudge and peanut clusters for dessert. (Apparently not done with xmas binging.) Had a tummy ache + bloat and was totally itchy after and this am. So they may not help me much. However, I will re-test when I've been gluten free for 6 weeks (since it could still be the gluten). That ought to take a few months to achieve at the rate I'm going ...
    Updated January 5th, 2010 at 01:15 PM by The Fortress
    4. http://www.usms.org/forums/showthrea...ion#post193126

But cycling on and off something to maintain interest seems like a great idea. Last season you put a lot of energy into heavy weights and this season that energy is freed up to try a new experiment.
    hahahaha

Well, I didn't really mean periodize. Rather, as you note, I was contemplating cycling on and off routines by seasons. So far, I'm enjoying my new routine. And tabata is hard as sh*t!
    I have a separate wet bag that I hang in my garage to limit the funk.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    hahahaha

Well, I didn't really mean periodize. Rather, as you note, I was contemplating cycling on and off routines by seasons. So far, I'm enjoying my new routine. And tabata is hard as sh*t!
    Apparently I need to tabata my swimming since I don't have much time.
    Apparently I need to tabata my swimming since I don't have much time.
    I've actually seen reference to that on the Internet. I guess you could do it with double turn 25s. I could theoretically do it with MF 50s ... Probably would puke.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast