View RSS Feed

The Labours of SwimStud

1/4/09--Left me breathless...

Rate this Entry
by , January 4th, 2010 at 09:23 PM (2610 Views)
As you may have read in my previous posting, I am focusing on kicking a bit more this year...seeing what I can get in return.

Wore briefs and a drag suit today...sorry ladies not the flag, or the itty-bitty ones...

5 x 100 Swim to warm up...

10 x 50 K 2:00 fast kick. I came in on about :55 on #1, held average of ~1:00 over the set. made sure I got the final 2 in under 1:00. I enjoyed the set in a perverse sadist fashion...my legs feel quite tired now...

Put on my fins and went onto a long drill set, trying to really work my weaker side and punch my hips around on the rotation.
4 x 50 each
Side kick
1 arm free
6 kick switch
3 n glide
Catch up

Removed the fins and did some hypoxic/breath pattern work. I'm trying to get over the emotional impulse to breathe in a 50, and since there's no "nicoderm" patch for breathing, I'm going to have to learn to cut back and then quit...not sure cold turkey is a realistic option right now and could be detrimental to my overall constitution.
4 x 50 FR 1:00 3 breaths. did 3, 3, 4, 3.
Was pissed off that I went 4 breaths on #3 but stoked that I got myself in order to get back to 3 on #4. Try to grab 'em all next time, right?
8 x 25 FR 1:00 no breath. Fairly straight forward on paper, but as a second tier of the hypoxic layer cake it was not so easy to digest.

After this I donned the blue rubber KPN-esque elf fins and did a 500 FR kick. Actually did 5 x 100 on a about :15 RI, made a good steady kick and tried to focus the kick up.

To cool things off I did 6 x 50 nice and EZ but still was going on a bout a minute and trying to glide out as much as I could on each stroke without making it a drill...I'm working of dkeeping my left arm in line with the shoulder and going over the barrel to EVF and punching round on the rotation...I hope it will lead to great rewards.

As usual, I went into the gym for some lifting after my swim, and nearly fell over at he sight of a vast multitude of resolutioners daring to use the gym. I don't mind if they are working out, but a 3 minute chat between sets while not alighting from the nautilus machine will not help you "get fit in 2010." Stand by for a report on what happens when I am undoubtedly compelled to point out this behaviour to some unwitting offender soon...still got a good 40 mins in by thinking creatively and randomizing my order or exercises.

Submit "1/4/09--Left me breathless..." to Digg Submit "1/4/09--Left me breathless..." to del.icio.us Submit "1/4/09--Left me breathless..." to StumbleUpon Submit "1/4/09--Left me breathless..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Maybe do some no breather 25s to prep for a racing 50 with only a couple breaths? At least this works for me. I never do limited breath 50s in practice. But my hypoxic work may help in this regard.

Did you use the elf fins for both fins sets or do you have other fins?

Resolutionists are the worst!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Did you use the elf fins for both fins sets or do you have other fins?

Resolutionists are the worst!
    Just the Elf fins...after the 10 x 50's I didn't have enough legs for the drill set.
    Maybe do some no breather 25s to prep for a racing 50 with only a couple breaths? At least this works for me. I never do limited breath 50s in practice. But my hypoxic work may help in this regard.
    I do 2-2 or 1-2 on sprint 50s in practice when they have lots of rest. You don't do this?

Stud, do you do any LT work, like 50s on 2:00 or 100s on 4-5:00? These are the places where I just take less breaths. It is not some big plan, I just don't need to breath all that much during 30 seconds of work if I am going to rest a couple minutes afterward, so I don't.

I am not a hypoxic fan, but maybe that would work for you too, but I think practicing your racing breathing pattern during long rest sets is a good way to go.