Rate this Entry
Drylands:

1. Warm up:

1 x 25 broomstick twists

3 x through:

100 bicycles
100 jump ropes
alternating hammers, 15 x 3 x 15, each arm
3 position arm extensions (15 reps each position)

10 minutes stretching

2. Core:

reverse lunges w/straight arm twist w/15 lb DB, 2 x 15 (this was from my "crazy core" link -- http://www.ab-core-and-stomach-exerc...-workouts.html)
straight leg raises in captain's chair (forgot ab slings), 2 x 25
squat swing w/25 lb plate, 2 x 15
russian twist on incline bench w/25 lb plate, 2 x 25
snatch windmill, 15 x 2 x 15
back extensions w/25 lb plate, 2 x 15
push ups, 2 x 25
internal & external rotators

3. Cross Fit WOD (Workout of the Day): "Swimming Tabata Death"

5 rounds of 5 exercises done tabata style (20 seconds @ 100% + 20 seconds rest). Rest until heart rate returns to normal between rounds. I stretched between rounds.

1. med ball slams
2. jump rope
3. crunches
4. lateral bench hops*
5. row**

* I substituted these for push ups. That many fast push ups is contra-indicated for my shoulders.

** I did this on the seated rowing machine with the weight set at 60 pounds. It was like explosive lifting.

The original tabata protocol involves the following:

5 minutes of warm-up
8 intervals of 20 seconds all-out intensity exercise followed by 10 seconds of rest
2 minutes cool-down

http://www.tabataprotocol.com

This would be very inadequate warm up for me. Though perhaps I should have done the WOD prior to my core work today ...

Commentary: As Geek would say, this WOD was a mother scratcher. Every exercise was hard, but the lateral bench hops were the worst. My legs were burning. Jump roping is an absolutely fantastic tabata exercise. You don't have to worry about form degradation the way you have to with other exercises. For exercise #1, I was getting about 25 slams per 20 seconds. For exercise #3, I was doing 23-24 crunches per 20 seconds. For exercise #4, I was getting in 30-35 hops on the first 3 rounds and then went down to about 25.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

For today's PM swim, I stole one of Tall Paul's recent workouts. It was a good one too. I modified it to do main set #1 as kick instead of swim.

Warm up:

600 variety

TP Main Set #1:

4 x through:

1 x 200 dolphin kick w/MF & board @ 3:15 descend
1 x 100 dolphin kick on back w/MF @ 2:00 ascend

50 EZ

I ended at 2:11 on the board kicks (#4 = pain) and started with :55 on the 100s (forgot Fortina).

TP Main Set #2:

6 x through:

1 x 100 back w/fins @ 2:00
1 x 50 evil w/fins @ 1:00

I ended at :55 on the 100 backs (dead legs and a cramp) and started at :33 on the 50 evils.

100 EZ

Mini Speed Set:

3 x (4 x 25 AFAP + 25 EZ)
AFAPs = free & fast doggy paddle drill

100 EZ

Total: 3350

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Nuthin to say except that I am absolutely dead and, as my daughter would say, "can't move my legs." I think I will slather them in Traumeel tonight and take some ibuprofen. Or liberally use my new Stick. http://www.performbetter.com/detail....tegoryID_E_201

Tomorrow is definitely a recovery day. Then, on Thursday, I'll do Geek's lactate set with Speedo. I miss all the sleep I was getting over the long holiday break. Quality sleep makes such a difference!

P.S. I am completely pissed off that licorice, my fav treat, is not gluten free.

Running Shoes Bad?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/...ectid=10618479

Submit "Death by Tabata + Tall Paul Sets, Tues., Jan. 5" to Digg Submit "Death by Tabata + Tall Paul Sets, Tues., Jan. 5" to del.icio.us Submit "Death by Tabata + Tall Paul Sets, Tues., Jan. 5" to StumbleUpon Submit "Death by Tabata + Tall Paul Sets, Tues., Jan. 5" to Google

Updated January 5th, 2010 at 11:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

That's a solid day of working out.

And, that settles it, I'm done with running.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    That's a solid day of working out.

And, that settles it, I'm done with running.
    Ack, I'm totally dead.

Well, you will always have high heels, I guess.
    Updated January 5th, 2010 at 11:34 PM by The Fortress
    Brutal workout Fort. I'd be dead for days!
    Quote Originally Posted by KEWebb18
    Brutal workout Fort. I'd be dead for days!
    Thanks, Katie. I very well may be!
    anything with the word swing in it makes my back tighten in anticipation of a spasm
    Ouch. Is that really XFit, or LL-Fit?
    Licorice also is a source of arsenic, especially if low-quality extract is used. It's yummy and there's nothing like it <sad face>. Jimby would be interested in the side effects of licorice root used as an herbal, such as conversion of testosterone to estrogen. There's a nice article there: the intersex benefits of common food toxins.
    Anyway, I hope you recover in a day or so and post another adventure! Makes for thrilling reading!
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    anything with the word swing in it makes my back tighten in anticipation of a spasm
    The squat swing is, in fact, very hard on the lower back. You should avoid. But it is a good compound exercise for healthy backs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ViveBene
    Ouch. Is that really XFit, or LL-Fit?
    Licorice also is a source of arsenic, especially if low-quality extract is used. It's yummy and there's nothing like it <sad face>. Jimby would be interested in the side effects of licorice root used as an herbal, such as conversion of testosterone to estrogen. There's a nice article there: the intersex benefits of common food toxins.
    Anyway, I hope you recover in a day or so and post another adventure! Makes for thrilling reading!
    Haha, more estrogen for Jimi, eh? (I guess it's not a PED then ...) I'm not sure if Jimi's a licorice eater. He's more a protein (steak, steak, lamb) and carbs guy. I am devastated about the licorice issue. I don't think I've had even one gluten free day yet ...

That is a Cross Fit WOD that I pulled off one of their local sites (Oregon, I think). It is LL adapted with the lateral bench hops instead of push ups. (Bench hops are harder IMHO anyway). It's certainly LLFit in the exercises that preceded the WOD.

It will be interesting to see how I actually feel tomorrow ..

Exercise is a nice adventure. A friend asked me today how I stayed motivated, and the word "adventure" (and variety) definitely figures into that.
    Sorry to neglect your blog...it seems after getting my head beat against a wall all day at work, I'm more attracted to fluff (a.k.a Jimby vlog). So a few things:
    1) TYR backpacks do suck; I have one with about a 6 inch hole in the top I keep taking to meets thinking, I'm going to have an explosion in the airport, but not yet. Unfortunately, I have a backup that my wife got for a smoking deal so I shall be TYR positive for awhile. I like previous recommendations of back packs.
    2) I'm just a simple ER doctor and usually only care about abdominal pain if your aorta or appendix is ruptured but how do you know you have celiac? Have you seen a GI, scope, biopsy, etc? I believe gluten allergy could potentially give you lactose intolerance by destroying the intestinal lining (thus losing lactase enzyme) but not vice versa. If you really do have gluten problem it is tough because it is in everything.
    3. Tabata sounds as fun as pulling nose hairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    Sorry to neglect your blog...it seems after getting my head beat against a wall all day at work, I'm more attracted to fluff (a.k.a Jimby vlog). So a few things:
    1) TYR backpacks do suck; I have one with about a 6 inch hole in the top I keep taking to meets thinking, I'm going to have an explosion in the airport, but not yet. Unfortunately, I have a backup that my wife got for a smoking deal so I shall be TYR positive for awhile. I like previous recommendations of back packs.
    2) I'm just a simple ER doctor and usually only care about abdominal pain if your aorta or appendix is ruptured but how do you know you have celiac? Have you seen a GI, scope, biopsy, etc? I believe gluten allergy could potentially give you lactose intolerance by destroying the intestinal lining (thus losing lactase enzyme) but not vice versa. If you really do have gluten problem it is tough because it is in everything.
    3. Tabata sounds as fun as pulling nose hairs.
    Kuuuurrt!

I feel so fortunate and special.

Nope, no small intestine biopsy. I did have an endoscopy in September for apparent gastritis, but it showed no ulcer that would explain anemia.

I have loads of symptoms, all hideous: hives, rashes, anemia, GI problems, tingling in my hands, distention, breathlessness at times, sore throats, flatulence, fatigue, etc. My GI and regular doc both said it was a pretty straightforward case of gluten intolerance. (I definitely seem to be lactose intolerant; I guess it could be from the gluten, as you say.) And the symptoms seem to be escalating. It's damn annoying. Could all that just be lactose intolerance?

I do tabata and you do those creepy distance events. And when's your next race?
    Updated January 6th, 2010 at 09:45 PM by The Fortress
    Well, sounds like celiac. That sucks. I guess I won't be taking you to dinner any time soon (I love my carbs too much).

Not sure about swimming races as my daughter just switched teams and is all serious making all my meets secondary afterthoughts (if I will be able to go at all). The next race I've actually entered is Ironman St. George 5/1 (actually entered about 7 months ago). I'm thinking it might be time to actually start biking and running but it will probably be like the others I have done with little biking and running (which to spectators appears like top two or three out of the water then get passed by about 1500 people the next 13-14 hours). Take care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    Well, sounds like celiac. That sucks. I guess I won't be taking you to dinner any time soon (I love my carbs too much).

Not sure about swimming races as my daughter just switched teams and is all serious making all my meets secondary afterthoughts (if I will be able to go at all). The next race I've actually entered is Ironman St. George 5/1 (actually entered about 7 months ago). I'm thinking it might be time to actually start biking and running but it will probably be like the others I have done with little biking and running (which to spectators appears like top two or three out of the water then get passed by about 1500 people the next 13-14 hours). Take care.
    Yes, it does suck.

Ironman, eh? You've definitely got the mentality for it. Just go on some bike rides with your stud wife to get in shape.