View RSS Feed

A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming

New Year, New Goals?

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
by , January 5th, 2010 at 08:12 PM (1149 Views)
I guess I should sit down and come up with some goals for the new year.

But before I do maybe a short recap of last year would be in order.

I was still able to swim a few personal bests though not as many as in previous years. These were as follows:

SCY
50 Fly - Tie with previous best.
200 Back - An event I just started competing in with my first race at this distance being in November 2008.

LCM
50 Free - Bettered my previous best for this distance by 0.60 sec.
200 Free - A race that I had never done in this course and only swam it once this past year. My time converts to nearly the same as what I had swam for a 200 SCY in 2006, the last time I swam this distance in a meet.

50 Back - Bettered my previous best for this distance by 0.57 sec.

Goals for 2010
I'm not going to set specific time goals for this year. If I swim a PB I'll be very pleased but am going into this year with no time expectations. What I do want to do is add a new event or 2.

So with that in mind, I'm going to focus on 2 new distances, the 200 Free and the 100 Fly.
I also want to do more open water swimming. With respect to that goal I began the New Year by swimming the Ft. Lauderdale Rough Water Swim on January 2nd. It was an ocean swim, my first ever and I finished 2nd in my age group (55-59) and was also 2nd of all men over 50.

So the new year is off to a good start, though I've yet to do a pool workout. I hope to get that in tonight.

Submit "New Year, New Goals?" to Digg Submit "New Year, New Goals?" to del.icio.us Submit "New Year, New Goals?" to StumbleUpon Submit "New Year, New Goals?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Great job in 2009, Floyd! And it looks like 2010 is off to a great start with your first OW swim. So you loved it, the open water? You didn't write up your thoughts on the race ...
    I warn you, the 200 free brings a lot of heart ache and sorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I warn you, the 200 free brings a lot of heart ache and sorrow.
    At least he's not jonesing for a 200 IM -- the worst misery ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    At least he's not jonesing for a 200 IM -- the worst misery ever.
    I've done that twice, once LCM and once SCY. It's beyond misery. Maybe next year.