View RSS Feed

Random Nonsense

1/5: I'm a genius

Rate this Entry
Yesterday's swim pretty much undid all my rib healing.*

Here is my new goal, not to swim until all the skin I scrapped off my elbow injuring my rib heals. It would make sense that it takes at least as long for skin to heal as ribs right? I will probably still kick.

Walked the dogs and road the bike for 40 minutes. I am going to run out of magazines soon.

* A little overly dramatic. The ribs hurt much worse than they did Monday before swimming, but not much additional movement induced pain, if that makes sense. I think the muscular bruising is still on track, but I jarred loose any of the bone cartilage healing. Of course, I also don't know enough not to swim long enough to get better, so my diagnosis is not worth much.

Submit "1/5: I'm a genius" to Digg Submit "1/5: I'm a genius" to del.icio.us Submit "1/5: I'm a genius" to StumbleUpon Submit "1/5: I'm a genius" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Are you sure you didn't crack or break a rib, QGenius?

Switch from magazines to ipod?
    A kick board is always a great way to get some aerobic activity in. Maybe outstretching your arm during freestyle is only aggravating it?
    Sculling drills are a worthwhile thing as well.

And oh yes...

You need to start drinking again! Pinot Noir is on sale at this time year.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Are you sure you didn't crack or break a rib, QGenius?

Switch from magazines to ipod?
    No, I am not sure, but the treatment is the same unless I manage to puncture a lung.

I am not a music person, so my ipod is pretty boring. When I kill my magazine stack, I will start reading a book.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    A kick board is always a great way to get some aerobic activity in. Maybe outstretching your arm during freestyle is only aggravating it?
    Sculling drills are a worthwhile thing as well.

And oh yes...

You need to start drinking again! Pinot Noir is on sale at this time year.
    It was the fast free that did me in. I managed a solid kick practice Sunday as still improve, but I think I got carried away on the 150s Monday.

No Pinot and since I can't really swim or lift, I have cut my calories in half. I am not really hungry, so even that might be too much, but I am pretty sure I don't need to drink any of my calories while I am out of the pool. But I should go check for Pinot sales and stock up
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    ... but I am pretty sure I don't need to drink any of my calories while I am out of the pool. But I should go check for Pinot sales and stock up
    Just kidding about the Pinot consumption. It's a good thing to be a teatotaler. This is my 10th year of clean living.

I drank enough fermented rice hops and barley in college and in my 20's to last a life time.
    I second the kicking suggestion if you can do it comfortably. "It's the first to leave and the last to return." But hard kicking does get your heart rate up, so if breathing deeply hurts maybe LSD kick. This is a great time to work on your kicking. Just a thought. Hope things get better.
    Just kidding about the Pinot consumption. It's a good thing to be a teatotaler. This is my 10th year of clean living.

I drank enough fermented rice hops and barley in college and in my 20's to last a life time.
    You can't joke with me Quick, I have no sense of humor.

I live a balanced life on average by seesawing my way through it. Over consumption followed by abstinence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    I second the kicking suggestion if you can do it comfortably. "It's the first to leave and the last to return." But hard kicking does get your heart rate up, so if breathing deeply hurts maybe LSD kick. This is a great time to work on your kicking. Just a thought. Hope things get better.
    Thanks Speedo. Moderate flutter kick isn't too bad, especially with a snorkle.
    No, I am not sure, but the treatment is the same unless I manage to puncture a lung.

I am not a music person, so my ipod is pretty boring. When I kill my magazine stack, I will start reading a book.
    I'm actually not a music person either, but I find a ipod useful for running and drylands. I don't even have a separate ipod; I just use my iphone.

What kind of books do you like? If you like non-fiction, I heard Malcolm Gladwell's new book was very good; I've enjoyed his other books. Strikes me that you might like him. http://www.gladwell.com/outliers/index.html
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I'm actually not a music person either, but I find a ipod useful for running and drylands. I don't even have a separate ipod; I just use my iphone.

What kind of books do you like? If you like non-fiction, I heard Malcolm Gladwell's new book was very good; I've enjoyed his other books. Strikes me that you might like him. http://www.gladwell.com/outliers/index.html
    I meant that my ipod is boring because there isn't much on it

My non fiction reading will probably target South East Asia for a while. I am undecided if I want to read Gladwell or not. So far I have resisted the desire to pick up any of his books.
    When I'm on a stationary bike, treadmill, or elliptical, there's no way I could possibly read anything. I keep up a steady pace, and there's usually tons of sweat dripping off of me. If you are able to read, perhaps it is time to increase the intensity, as long as your ribs permit.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    When I'm on a stationary bike, treadmill, or elliptical, there's no way I could possibly read anything. I keep up a steady pace, and there's usually tons of sweat dripping off of me. If you are able to read, perhaps it is time to increase the intensity, as long as your ribs permit.
    I am maintaining between 80 and 90 rpm while reading with medium to high resistance. If I focus more I can maintain 90 the whole time, but then I will be bored in 5 minutes.

Why do I care if I drench a magazine? "Hey dear, I sweated on the Kiplingers."

Remember, the goal is really to burn calories, not for me to become a fast stationary cyclist.
    You can't joke with me Quick, I have no sense of humor.
    On the contrary, you have an intellectual sense humor...the best kind.

May I suggest this for your reading enjoyment? http://www.ehow.com/about_4577431_bruised-ribs.html

Stationary bikes indeed.
    May I suggest this for your reading enjoyment? http://www.ehow.com/about_4577431_bruised-ribs.html

Stationary bikes indeed.
    There is a difference between having the information and following the information. I knew it should take at least 3 weeks to heal and that got me a genius award.

I do appreciate you sharing, and if you have any articles on developing common sense, that is probably where I should start.