View RSS Feed

Meet Director's Path to Tranquility

Task Master's Tasks

Rate this Entry
Why are there 300 views of my tee shirt post????

The second notice to the team was sent out Monday requesting volunteers. As predicted, there was minimal response. Five team members in all responded, and only 3 of 21 timer slots are filled. A sixth person, a friend of someone on the team, volunteered to be the the third timer. Imagine that. The other volunteers want to take the fun jobs at the awards and check-in tables. My next request will also emphasize that spouses and family members are welcome to volunteer, too. (then aunts and uncles, then pets and neighbors . . .)

The first time swimmer souvenirs were ordered from Oriental Trading today: 2 dozen tropical hibiscus baseball caps to go with the 1 dozen we have left over from prior meets. Two dozen maracas pens were ordered as Coconut Relay awards. Total cost was a whopping $50.

The ribbon awards were ordered from Hasty Awards. I really like their service and willingness to work with us, and they have always been true to their committments. We paid for a custom graphic setup on the ribbons at the first meet. Since it is on file, orders in subsequent years do not have that surcharge.

What's interesting is that the number of first place awards has been relatively constant over the years. But, the more swimmers we have at the meet, the more second and especially third place awards we need. During our first meet, we ran out of second place ribbons. We ordered a few more and mailed them out to everyone after the meet, whether requested or not. That mistake (OK it was my bad planning) cut our profits a bit.

The ribbon awards order cost about $105 this year - 150 first place, 75 second place, and 75 third place ribbons. These supplement those we already have, and also represent a number larger than we expect to use, just to be on the safe side. Last year for 165 swimmers, we had 230 firsts, 128 seconds, and 70 thirds. Of course, not everyone picks up their awards - usually about 75% do.

Following J-Rod's advice during the first meet, (our unofficial 'LMSC advisor'), we left the date off the ribbons to ensure that we can use the extras in future meets. That was a good decision. Maybe all clubs hosting a meet for the first time should have a LMSC mentor/advisor assigned. He kept us out of trouble on a few other incidents, too.

20 entries to date.

BOOK OF WISDOM
Never run out of beer; or ribbons.

Submit "Task Master's Tasks" to Digg Submit "Task Master's Tasks" to del.icio.us Submit "Task Master's Tasks" to StumbleUpon Submit "Task Master's Tasks" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Do you have any idea, based on last year's meet, what time the break may arrive at? Was thinking of possibly showing up for warm up then. The other events are too early for me!
    Last year's projected timeline break was at 10:57, the year before 10:58. We usually follow the timeline fairly closely for the first half, a bit faster for the second.
    Hope you can make it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnovitske
    Last year's projected timeline break was at 10:57, the year before 10:58. We usually follow the timeline fairly closely for the first half, a bit faster for the second.
    Hope you can make it.
    Thanks! I'm going to try to make the second half.
    Oops. . . add about 10 minutes to that. We have an additional heat in the 500 this year.