View RSS Feed

Elise's Fitness Fun

Lower back issues

Rate this Entry
by , January 5th, 2010 at 11:56 PM (821 Views)
Problem in lower back on left side kicked up again so back to chiro tomorrow to "work it out." I may have to figure out what it is that keeps aggravating it. I suppose it could be anything. We just got a new puppy and have babygates all over the house. I almost wonder if all the stepping over the gates is aggravating it.

I've had problems with this area on and off for 7 years - same side, same place. Part of the reason is stiffness in the sacroiliac region as well as a slight leg length difference ( left leg is slightly longer than right leg).

Long-axis strokes, especially freestyle really seems to aggravate it, so I may be doing a bunch of one arm fly and kicking in my workouts until this thing goes away. Funny what areas become problem area as we get older. Looks like this one will be something I'll be dealing with for the rest of my life.

Knock on wood, don't seem to have any shoulder problems. I consider this a blessing given the mega fly yardage in college.
Every now and then, the knees get a little stiff. My sis (a PA) says that this is slight arthritis and should be expected at my age. Knees aren't sore anymore, so if I don't go back to jumping when I jump rope, I'll at least run.

My try to zero in on another yoga class. This seems to keep the problem in my lower back from coming up when I have done it.

Had a good workout today:

Warm-up: 200 easy swim
200 kick with fins: alternate 50 back dolphin with 50 free kick on side

Distance set:

500 on 7:30
400 on 6:00
300 on 4:30
200 on 3:00
100 on 1:30

Sprint set:

24 x 75 on 1:30

I did the set as 8 sets of 75 fly, 75 back, and 75 free. On fly, I did the first 25, 3 rt./3 lt.

100 easy

3 x 200 kick with fins on 3:00 - 50 fr kick/100 dolphin/50 fr kick

400 fly drill/swim as follows:
100 drill
25 swim
75 drill
50 swim
50 drill
75 swim (did 3 rt/3 lt/ 3 full
25 drill

100 easy

4900 yards

Submit "Lower back issues" to Digg Submit "Lower back issues" to del.icio.us Submit "Lower back issues" to StumbleUpon Submit "Lower back issues" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Sorry about the back, I really hope the chiro/yoga make it behave better.

But enough about you, tell us about your puppy.
    It seems that almost every masters swimmer I know has some back issue ... Sorry you do. Aside from the stretching benefits, yoga seems to be very good for injury prevention. So while it doesn't seem to add to your training, it may keep you training. This may be the reason I go back to it.

Good workout!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson
    Sorry about the back, I really hope the chiro/yoga make it behave better.

But enough about you, tell us about your puppy.
    Thanks, Chris.

The puppy is 4 months old. We got her (Shelley) from the animal shelter about 3 weeks ago. Somebody dumped her at a gas station. She is a cross between a beagle and an Austrailian shepherd, so tons of energy. I feel like I'm chasing a toddler!

We now have 3 dogs again. Our lab who was just shy of 13 years old died this past June. Our other lab (Foster) stays in a pen outside most of the time (except when it is freezing like it is right now or really hot) and was lonely. Plus, he was getting pretty chubby. When the puppy gets a little bigger, she'll keep him moving.

We've got another dog who is almost 13 who stays inside most of the time. She has demonstrated an enormous amount of patience with the puppy. They are pals now.

May post a pic on my next post.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    It seems that almost every masters swimmer I know has some back issue ... Sorry you do. Aside from the stretching benefits, yoga seems to be very good for injury prevention. So while it doesn't seem to add to your training, it may keep you training. This may be the reason I go back to it.

Good workout!
    Thanks, Fort.

It will be a challenge to figure out where to fit it into my schedule, but looks like it may be something I need to do. I may opt to buy a DVD so I can do a workout at home.