View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Kick-Swim + Yoga, Tuesday, Jan. 19

Rate this Entry
by , January 19th, 2010 at 09:52 PM (1290 Views)
Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 various

Kick Set:

10 x 25 twirling shooters w/MF @ :30

1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (breast)
20 pullouts
1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (flutter)
20 pullouts
1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (dolphin)
20 pullouts
1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (flutter)
20 pullouts
1 minute vertical kicking w/med ball (breast)

10 x shooters w/MF @ :30
odds = left side
evens = right side

50 EZ

Aerobic Kick-Swim Set:

5 x (2 x 100) w/fins, done as:

1-2 = backstroke kick @ 1:20
3-4 = backstroke @ 1:20
5-6 = dolphin kick w/board @ 1:20
7-8 = fly @ 2:00*
9-10 = flutter kick w/board @ 1:20

* I took an extra 30 seconds rest before fly. I can't do fly on short rest. In fact, I'm amazed I even did 2 x 100 fly -- and did it last week as well.

50 EZ

Speed Sets:

10 x 50 double shooters on back w/MF
odds = easy @ 1:30
evens = AFAP @ 1:00

went: 21.5-22 (bad turn), 21, 20, 20.5, 20.5-21

This is the fastest set of 50s I've done with the MF. I was using a narrow amplitude and super high cycle kick. I have to slow down slightly before the walls.

100 EZ

8 x 25 @ whatevah
odds = AFAP free
evens = easy

100 EZ

Total: 3250 + VK

Vinyasa Yoga:

Tonight, I tried the Yoga Shakti DVD. http://www.google.com/products/catal...959&sa=title#p

I did the Lunar Flow, which was the 45 minute version (that was all the time I had). This was definitely just stretching, not a workout at all. In fact, it was just too slow for me, and I completely skipped the paranyama and shavasana at the end (not my favs anyway). This could be a good DVD for the end of the day. There are 2 90 minute Solar Flow workouts that are supposed to be much more challenging. Vinyasa, with it's flowing moves, is very different than Bikram where the emphasis is on holding postures to build strength and flexibility. I'll try the other workouts before I form an opinion. At the very least, it got me stretching tonight -- which was the goal!

And, unfortunately, I'm not very good at putting my heel behind my head anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

My hammies were a little sore today from the re-introduction of the squat yesterday. After my lazy week last week, I need to get back in the dryland groove. I was pretty happy with my kicking and speed work today. I was only using a 4 lb med ball for the vertical kicking today. (That was the only ball that was unlocked in the equipment room.) That definitely made the VK harder though.

I may enter the Tropical Splash on Jan. 31. http://www.alexandriamasters.com/meet/. Since I've been praising recent order of events, I feel free to grumble about this one slightly. All the 100s are the first half and 3 of the 50s and all the 200s are the second half. I have no idea what I want to swim besides one new secret event (for Patrick). Entries are due March 25, so I need to send out my form pronto. Edit: I dunno ... the new secret event I wanted to swim is not possible without electronic timing. No split requests permitted.

Geek posted this on my entry for yesterday in case anyone missed it: http://abcnews.go.com/WN/Wellness/fi...ory?id=9606251. His take home message: don't be a supplement hater!

Jim Corbeau sent me a great aerobic workout with some speed play that I may do tomorrow. I have to miss my Thursday workout with Speedo b/c I'm getting my hair "glazed" to compensate for anticipated fading. I hope to do his kick workout with him next Tuesday.

On the B2B ironman front, my son's friend (and cross country teammate), who will be 17+ on the day of the race, has gotten permission to enter even though he's not 18. So FortSon is agitating for it again, though he's worried he'll lose muscle even if he lifts while training.

Submit "Kick-Swim + Yoga, Tuesday, Jan. 19" to Digg Submit "Kick-Swim + Yoga, Tuesday, Jan. 19" to del.icio.us Submit "Kick-Swim + Yoga, Tuesday, Jan. 19" to StumbleUpon Submit "Kick-Swim + Yoga, Tuesday, Jan. 19" to Google

Updated January 19th, 2010 at 10:48 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Yoga

Comments

Mmmmmm. The "Lunar Flow" set on that DVD is a bit "light." I only do that one if I'm feeling under the weather or just want a relaxing stretch set.
    The other practices on the DVD are a bit more active...though the beginner session is a bit less so...Have fun with your new DVD
    Quote Originally Posted by gigi
    Mmmmmm. The "Lunar Flow" set on that DVD is a bit "light." I only do that one if I'm feeling under the weather or just want a relaxing stretch set.
    The other practices on the DVD are a bit more active...though the beginner session is a bit less so...Have fun with your new DVD
    I figured that out AFTER I did it. I should have read the info more closely first. But at least I stretched!
    If you need a counter @ Tropical Splash let me know

Happy glazing- you're making me want to do something with this mop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    If you need a counter @ Tropical Splash let me know

Happy glazing- you're making me want to do something with this mop.
    hahaha

The 500 free is full, I believe. But I guess a counter could be required on the 400 IM.
    Updated January 20th, 2010 at 09:31 AM by The Fortress
    I may enter the Tropical Splash on Jan. 31. http://www.alexandriamasters.com/meet/. Since I've been praising recent order of events, I feel free to grumble about this one slightly. All the 100s are the first half and 3 of the 50s and all the 200s are the second half.
    Go ahead and grumble, and not just slightly. My bad; it's deserved. But, did I hear a sprinter complaining about the 200's order?

Ahem... doesn't the Richmond warmups start at the crack of dawn, too? They have ALL their 200's to wake to, we have our 500 plus Columbian coffee.
    Pleasant dreams
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnovitske
    Go ahead and grumble, and not just slightly. My bad; it's deserved. But, did I hear a sprinter complaining about the 200's order?

Ahem... doesn't the Richmond warmups start at the crack of dawn, too? They have ALL their 200's to wake to, we have our 500 plus Columbian coffee.
    Pleasant dreams
    Hahaha. I was interested in doing the 100s at your meet. The order does seem rather odd ... And I appear to be very high maintenance and require electronic timing. And, alas, I need the squishy pads to do a backstroke start.

Well, I would drive down to Richmond the night before with a friend and count for him for the distance events. So I would roll out of bed and hit the pool, hopefully in close time proximity.