View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Core-core-core, Wed., Jan. 20

Rate this Entry
by , January 20th, 2010 at 05:58 PM (1249 Views)
Drylands:

broomstick twists, 1 x 25
windshield wipers, 2 x 25
bicycles, 2 x 100
oblique V ups, 2 x 25
body rows, 3 x 15
stacked feet push ups, 2 x 25
lunge w/twist w/15 lb weight, 2 x 15
hanging knee up & kick outs, 2 x 25
elevated hip lifts/pulse ups, 2 x 25
bent over rear delt fly, 12.5 x 2 x 15
goblet squats, 60 x 2 x 15
bench press w/bar, 60 x 2 x 15 (felt easy)
lying overhead tricep press, 50 x 2 x 15
box jumps, 2 x 10

RC:

scapular wall slides
external and internal rotators
prone scapular scrunches
chops on yoga ball
seated straight arm dip
3 position arm extensions

Med Ball Fun:

I ventured to the racquetball courts today and ripped off this workout from Rich Abraham's post on the forum:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5XMqW0VPPE&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- CORE BALL aka Medicine Ball Racquet Ball[/ame]

I did 20 minutes of it solo today; could definitely have done more, but ran out of time. I would take a 20 second break every once in awhile. I did double arm twisting med ball slams, single arms twisting slams, overhand and underhand slams, chest pass against wall, start plyos -- basically anything you could do with a med ball and 3 walls. It was love at first sight. (Despite breaking a fingernail.) Now, I need a partner to make it wicked fun. SwimShark has volunteered, so I may venture out to the Freedom Center to do this with her one day. Do you recall if there are racquetball courts at Oak Marr, Pete?

I wish I could do more cardio (didn't have time earlier), but my brood is back from skiiing. I hope to do Jim Corbeau's workout solo tomorrow am. Then I will carry on doing battle with my red tresses.

2010 Meets:

VMST David Gregg III Memorial Meet
Richmond VA
February 14
http://www.pvmasters.org/entry/vmst0210.pdf.

I'm considering doing this VMST meet in Richmond instead of the Tropical Splash. It seems to have a better order of events for me. The 100s at the Splash are all at the crack of dawn and there is no electronic timing at that meet. Chris, if you're reading, is there electronic timing at the VMST meet? Edit: I read the entry form and it appears there is. I am thinking of swimming the 200 back, 100 evil (lol) and 200 free (with a 50 or 100 free split request). Although this could be too ambitious depending on how fast the meet runs.

Albatross Open
Bethesda, MD
March 20
https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1409&smid=1992

Colonies Zones
Fairfax, VA
April 24-25
http://www.patriotmasters.org/Coloni...2010.Entry.pdf

USMS Nationals
Atlanta, GA
May 20-23
http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats10/

Submit "Core-core-core, Wed., Jan. 20" to Digg Submit "Core-core-core, Wed., Jan. 20" to del.icio.us Submit "Core-core-core, Wed., Jan. 20" to StumbleUpon Submit "Core-core-core, Wed., Jan. 20" to Google

Updated January 20th, 2010 at 07:20 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

The med ball smashing looks like great stress relief and I imagine is a great workout. Are you looking for mainly core explosion work here? What benefits aside from overall fitness do you see for the pool?

Chris can comment on the VMST meet, but I just swam at the NOVA pools over Xmas. They're not true elite class competition strength (e.g., I'd prefer more depth) like Atlanta will be, but should be fast enough.

There's a nice, smaller hotel chain that I'll often stay at elsewhere in the country with a location relatively close to the NOVA pools, as well, Hotel Sierra (http://www.hotel-sierra.com/location...t/default.aspx) , that is probably a step above the meet hotel. Probably more expensive, but the ones I've stayed at in the past have very good beds and are quiet.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    The med ball smashing looks like great stress relief and I imagine is a great workout. Are you looking for mainly core explosion work here? What benefits aside from overall fitness do you see for the pool?

Chris can comment on the VMST meet, but I just swam at the NOVA pools over Xmas. They're not true elite class competition strength (e.g., I'd prefer more depth) like Atlanta will be, but should be fast enough.
    I understand the pool is somewhat shallow. I'm just looking for a fairly convenient yards meet to get some events in that I won't swim at Zones or Nats. Thanks for the hotel tip!

The med ball work is a combo of core work, plyo work, strength work (arms) and cardio. I think a strong core, plyo work and overall fitness all transfer pretty well to the pool, though perhaps not for your distance focus events. I know both Rich and Mike Ross are big fans of twisting med ball slams. They both focus on core work/bodyweight work in lieu of heavy weights.
    I think that NOVA's pool is about 7 feet deep (I am not sure the exact depth, I just know that I can't stand @ the walls).
    The Hotel Sierra is SO nice. It is a very "green" hotel, if you care about that sort of thing. Plus it is attached to Short Pump Town Center (mall) so there are tons of places to eat there.
    That exercise looks like so much fun! I may have to convince my hubby to try it with me just so I can make fun of someone who is less coordinated than me
    Quote Originally Posted by KEWebb18
    I think that NOVA's pool is about 7 feet deep (I am not sure the exact depth, I just know that I can't stand @ the walls).
    The Hotel Sierra is SO nice. It is a very "green" hotel, if you care about that sort of thing. Plus it is attached to Short Pump Town Center (mall) so there are tons of places to eat there.
    That exercise looks like so much fun! I may have to convince my hubby to try it with me just so I can make fun of someone who is less coordinated than me
    I will definitely check out that hotel. Though I may go on the cheap too.

I had thought of doing the med ball game with Mr. Fort, but he'd destroy me. I'm hoping to interest FortSon though. It is insanely fun!

7 feet isn't bad. I just don't want to hit the bottom on backstroke turns.
    The medicine ball workout was so Cool!
    If I were doing it I would try to alternate or balance equal amounts of throws on both sides of the body. The guys on the u-tube seemed to always throw from the same side. I'd feel lop-sided when I was done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    The medicine ball workout was so Cool!
    If I were doing it I would try to alternate or balance equal amounts of throws on both sides of the body. The guys on the u-tube seemed to always throw from the same side. I'd feel lop-sided when I was done.
    That's exactly what I did! I regularly alternated arms, sides of the body, walls, etc. It was a good workout.

Oh, that was Rich Abraham on the vid!
    you are getting after it,
    get strong, swim fast,
    we've got one last chance with B70's
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    you are getting after it,
    get strong, swim fast,
    we've got one last chance with B70's
    I'm always getting after it! That's why I get slightly irked when the anti-tech suit crowd tells me to train harder or train properly.