View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

More Solo Lactate, Sunday, Jan. 24

Rate this Entry
by , January 24th, 2010 at 05:43 PM (1155 Views)
Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 various

Drill Sets:

5 x 100 single arm fly (r,l,r,l per length) @ 1:45

8 x 50 breast pull w/pull buoy @ 1:00

50 EZ

Hypoxic Kick Set:
(w/MF)

10 x shooters @ :30
odds = left side
evens = right side
:30 second rest

10 x 50 easy speed double shooters @ 1:00
(went 25-26)
:30 seconds rest

10 x shooters on belly @ :30

100 EZ

Lactate Set:

6 rounds w/fins @ 5:00 of:

50 backstroke kick @ 85% @ :45
50 backstroke @ 100% @ XX
100 EZ

Went approx:

26.5/25.5
25.5/25
25/24.5
25/25
25/25
25/25.5

Total: 4000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Cage Fighter and I arrived at the Rec Center at the same time. We shared a lane, though we were doing vastly different workouts. It was much better than sharing a lane with a noodle doing wide breaststroke kicks! I urged him again to sign up for USMS & Zones. He said he might join Pete and I for our hour kick set on Tuesday.

The lactate set was a modification of one Jim C. did a couple days ago. He did 75s stroke at 80%; I did 50 kick at 85% instead. 75s aren't ideal in this pool b/c I can't see the clock well at one end. This set was much harder than just doing 6 x 50, which I've done before. My legs were burning on the last 25.

Tomorrow, I'm heading out to the Freedom Center in the am to do the RA med ball game with SwimShark. She reserved the court for one hour. It will be interesting to see if we can do our weights & core afterward!

2010 Meets:

VMST David Gregg III Memorial Meet
Richmond VA
February 13-14
http://www.pvmasters.org/entry/vmst0210.pdf

I've filled out my entry form. I'm going to swim the 200 back on Saturday and the 200 breast (for a 100 split), 50 free and 100 fly on Sunday. I'm trying to get as much rest as I can between events on Sunday, which is why I chose these. I was considering swimming the 200 back on Sunday, but I think I'd be fried for the rest of the day after that. This could be my only 50 free of the year ... I am probably going to opt for the 100 back at Zones, and the 50 free is right after that. (Same situation at SCY Nats.) Though I could get a 50 free split in my open 100 free at Zones, I guess.

Albatross Open
Bethesda, MD
March 20
https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1409&smid=1992

Colonies Zones
Fairfax, VA
April 24-25
http://www.patriotmasters.org/Coloni...2010.Entry.pdf

USMS Nationals
Atlanta, GA
May 20-23
http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats10/

Submit "More Solo Lactate, Sunday, Jan. 24" to Digg Submit "More Solo Lactate, Sunday, Jan. 24" to del.icio.us Submit "More Solo Lactate, Sunday, Jan. 24" to StumbleUpon Submit "More Solo Lactate, Sunday, Jan. 24" to Google

Updated January 24th, 2010 at 11:38 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Are you filming the Med Ball session?
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Are you filming the Med Ball session?
    Lol, Would love to, but I think we'll be busy playing!
    I really like this set, and I'll probably steal it for the next time I swim on my own

What's with all the breast work? Are you actually swimming it in a meet, or is it to improve your IM (did I read that correctly, a 200 breast??) ? I really really like breast pull drills like that (try them with paddles, extremely tough). Next you'll have to do some breast kick drills (I know a few)
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm

What's with all the breast work? Are you actually swimming it in a meet, or is it to improve your IM (did I read that correctly, a 200 breast??) ? I really really like breast pull drills like that (try them with paddles, extremely tough). Next you'll have to do some breast kick drills (I know a few)
    I think I will try the breast pull with paddles! I know some others that do that drill as well. I have done some vertical kicking breaststroke. My evil kick is so slow that it's disheartening. But I guess if Aquaman can do it, I can too.

I've been doing more breast work because its easier on the shoulders and because of this:

USMS Times Reported for Women SCM 50 Breast Ages 45-49
    2009 Season (2009-01-01 through 2009-12-31)

# Name Age Time Club Meet
    1 Livingston, Leslie C 48 37.62 GMUP New England LMSC SCM Championships

I think I'm actually improving. I won't do a 200 breast; I'll be doing a 100 breast with a split request. This will be my "new" event for the season. I also plan to swim the 50 evil at Nats b/c the order of events is not conducive to me swimming the 50 free.

However, all bets may be off without my cheating suit. I think it helps breast more than the other strokes.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    However, all bets may be off without my cheating suit. I think it helps breast more than the other strokes.
    Absolutely I noticed that. Although, I think with you still being able to wear kneeskins, it won't be as dramatic a change. There's so much technique to refine on breaststroke (IMHO more than any other stroke) that I'm sure you can still improve even in the post-tech-suit era.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    I'm sure you can still improve even in the post-tech-suit era.
    I'll have to break down and actually learn to evil kick.