View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

OK, Tired Now, Monday, Jan. 25

Rate this Entry
by , January 25th, 2010 at 04:28 PM (1206 Views)
This morning, I journeyed to the Freedom Center to play the med all game with SwimShark and show her my core-dominated dryland routine. She had been doing the Lezak routine and wanted a change. The game is very fun with a partner! The Freedom Center is a beautiful large facility. The only thing missing was a Free Motion double cable machine in the weight room and 12 and 18 inch boxes for box jumps.

Med Ball Game:

We did approximately 40-45 minutes with some rests here and there. SwimShark took a video with her nano. Next time, I think we should tape the camera to the wall (instead of propping it up on the floor) so it wouldn't be quite so focused on our asses. lol

Here is 2 minutes of the workout: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mak2y5K-1iI&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- The game[/ame]

Drylands:

I was mostly demo-ing the exercises for Alison. So I only did 1 set of 5-15 reps of the following exercises (which was definitely still a workout!):

squat swing w/25 lb plate
rotating squat swings w/20 lb DB
goblet squats w/60 lb DB
overhead squats w/bar
hanging ab work: knee ups, straight leg raises, straight leg circles, knee up-arch backs
reverse decline crunches w/10 lb weight held by feet
elevated knee ins w/10 lb weight held by feet
russian twists w/25 lb plate on incline bench
pulse ups
dead bugs on bosu
windshield wipers
crunchy frogs
oblique V ups
squat jacks on bench w/med ball
lateral bench hops
squat thrust & press w/med ball
rock star jumps
rear delt flys
chest flys
narrow grip seated row (90 x 2 x 10)
power wheel rolls outs (2 x 15)
power wheel pike ups & knee-ins
body rows

5-10 minutes of stretching

SwimShark agreed the power wheel provided an awesome core workout.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main set:

8 x 50 fly @ 1:00
# 4 & 8 @ 200 pace, single arm fly on the rest
8 x 50 dolphin kick @ 1:00
#4 & 8 = fast, rest EZ
50 EZ
4 x 25, odds = fast shooter on belly, evens = EZ

8 x 50 back @ 1:00
# 4 & 8 @ 200 pace, rest EZ
8 x 50 backstroke kick @ 1:00
# 4 & 8 fast, rest EZ
50 EZ
4 x 25, odds = fast shooter on back, evens = EZ

8 x 50 breast @ 1:10
odds = pull w/paddles & buoy
evens = alternate PLD & evil
8 x 50 breast kick @ 1:05
4 w/board, 4 w/o
50 EZ
4 x 25, odds = fast evil, evens = EZ

8 x 50 free @ :55
all 8 with fins & paddles emphasizing overkick
(yes, I know it's a lot of rest; I was tired)
8 x 50 flutter kick w/fins & board @ :50
# 4 & 8 = fast, rest EZ
50 EZ
4 x 25, odds = fast fluter kick shooter, evens = EZ

100 EZ

Total: 4600

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I have a sneaking suspicion I shall feel rather dead tonight. The med ball game is deceptive. You feel like you can play on and on, yet you're sore and tired later. I can already tell my arms will be sore like last time. (Of course, I do have the pleasure of knowing I've made Geek very jealous with all my working out today.)

I intended my swim workout to be easy aerobic swimming and drills with some fast efforts sprinkled throughout. I did more yardage than I really intended. The breaststroke segment is likely the dullest most tedious thing I've done as a masters swimmer ... The kicks were torturously slow. I really don't think I'm going to put any further effort into evil kick. I don't seem to have the patience for it.

I've also been hungry all day long. I ate lunch before swimming, but was starving mid workout. Came home and ate more and am still starving ... Ate dinner and am still starving ...

I sent my entry form for the VMST meet on Feb 13-14 out in the mail today. Swimming: 200 back, 100 breast (getting split), 50 free, 100 fly.

Hopefully, I'll sleep well tonight to make it through my kick workout with Speedo tomorrow! I'm tired!

Oh, I did have to break down and buy my kid a new suit for champs meet season. I wanted to get her a B70 kneeskin, but they aren't available until mid Feb. or so. So I ordered the Seedo elite pro/lzr. I'll probably wear the suit at the Albatross Open as well. I feel bad for my kid. She seems to be getting a whacking bad cold right before Districts and Regionals. And she's had some trouble really ramping up her training this winter; I think she still feels the effects of her bout of mono.

Gluten/Dairy Free Bars:

I found a good food bar at Whole Foods tonight with no gluten or dairy. http://www.rawindulgence.com/. I really need something portable to eat right after workouts, so I'm going to give these a try. Any other suggestions?

I also appear to have inadvertently glutened myself again as I have a telltale rash. Can't think what I could have eaten that had gluten ... It might have been something in the deviled eggs from Whole Food I ate as a late snack.

Interesting Article on the Mystery of Improvement with USAS Swimmers:

http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/V...30&ItemId=1707

Submit "OK, Tired Now, Monday, Jan. 25" to Digg Submit "OK, Tired Now, Monday, Jan. 25" to del.icio.us Submit "OK, Tired Now, Monday, Jan. 25" to StumbleUpon Submit "OK, Tired Now, Monday, Jan. 25" to Google

Updated January 26th, 2010 at 10:22 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

I feel bad for my kid. She seems to be getting a whacking bad cold right before Districts and Regionals.

That just sucks. I'm watching my now 14 year old like a hawk as she has a shot at reaching her 'next level' meet (Far Westerns, about AAA cut times) in her 200 to 1650. She's got her last shot at our age group state meet at the beginning of March and I'm just hoping she can stay healthy through that. Last year bronchitis hit at exactly the wrong time.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    I feel bad for my kid. She seems to be getting a whacking bad cold right before Districts and Regionals.

That just sucks. I'm watching my now 14 year old like a hawk as she has a shot at reaching her 'next level' meet (Far Westerns, about AAA cut times) in her 200 to 1650. She's got her last shot at our age group state meet at the beginning of March and I'm just hoping she can stay healthy through that. Last year bronchitis hit at exactly the wrong time.
    I hope so!

My kid is already well off her Sectionals cuts from last year, which is depessing enough. And she's had the flu for JOs and strep throat for All Stars before. So she's feeling "cursed."
    You may save space next time by listing all of the possible body movements you don't do.
    FYI : the med ball video was great ... and it doesn't look easy (even though you say you feel like you can keep going while doing it).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    You may save space next time by listing all of the possible body movements you don't do.
    hahaha, Mr. Minimalist.

I felt bad that I forgot to show her snatch windmill and squat X press!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    FYI : the med ball video was great ... and it doesn't look easy (even though you say you feel like you can keep going while doing it).
    We'll see how I feel tomorrow ...

Can you see how those 270 degree twisting med ball slams would be good for the core?
    great video, you ladies looked like you were having fun.
    The game was a lot of fun. You are so right that you feel like you can keep going and yet you stop and realize how tired you are. I wish I could play more but my ankle is really sore today. I probably over did it and didn't realize it. Of course, everything else about me is sore, too. Once my ankle recovers more from the surgery, I'll get more games in.

Thanks for writing it all out for me. I plan to do some at home starting this week. And thanks for coming out my way and showing it all to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimshark
    The game was a lot of fun. You are so right that you feel like you can keep going and yet you stop and realize how tired you are. I wish I could play more but my ankle is really sore today. I probably over did it and didn't realize it. Of course, everything else about me is sore, too. Once my ankle recovers more from the surgery, I'll get more games in.

Thanks for writing it all out for me. I plan to do some at home starting this week. And thanks for coming out my way and showing it all to me.
    I had a great time!

If you want any more ab/core exercises, consult my crazy core link on FB. There are 3 videos with many different exercises. Jazzy likes to tease me about the sheer number of my exercises, but I like variety. It staves off boredom and gives the body something different.

Be careful of that ankle!