View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Wed., Jan 27

Rate this Entry
Drylands:

My legs were a bit sore from yoga, so I decided to focus primarily on the arms and core:

med ball slams & twist, about 18 minutes in racquetball court (I was watching a Muscle Up class across the hallway and thinking my workout was much better than theirs!)

power wheel roll outs, 2 x 25
body rows, 3 x 15
elevated push ups, 4 x 15 (2 spiderman,* 2 regular)
hip hinges, 30 x 1 x 15
one legged squats w/DBs, 40 x 2 x 15, each leg
side bends on cable machine, 80 x 2 x 15, each side
Icarian incline lever row, 80 (?) x 2 x 15
kneeling ab crunches on cable machine, 80 x 3 x 15
lying overhead tricep press, 60 x 2 x 10 (hard)

RC: 1 set of external and internal rotators, prone scapular scrunches, scapular wall slides, and 3 position arm extensions.

* http://askthetrainer.com/feet-elevat...n-pushups.html -- very hard!

After this, I munched on a Raw Revolution food bar and banana. Then I headed over to the pool with a Geekity speed workout in hand. But, to my dismay and annoyance, I forgot my suit. I didn't have time to retrieve it, so headed home to do ....

Spin:

45 minutes on stationary bike while watching MadMen. Even that couldn't eliminate the boredom of this exercise. No idea how Q did 3+ hours.

P90X Yoga:

To get my stretching in for the day, I did the last 35 minutes of the P90X yoga DVD. It was mostly seated stretching and core work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I was bummed about forgetting my suit. I don't like to go 2 days in a row without swimming. I had a good workout planned that I'll probably do on Friday now.

Got the Speedo Eilte LZR Pro (for my dau) in the mail today. It looks just like the Pro except it has no seams like the Jaked. And, speaking of the Jaked, mine has mysteriously gone missing. If I can't find it, my temper will match my hair.

TRX:

Anyone done any TRX? http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/. FlyQueen was telling me about it over dinner last week. She said Christine Magnuson is a huge fan. It looks like another clever way of doing bodyweight exercises.

GU:

This new flavor looks promising for meets and 2x caffeine. http://store.guenergy.com/Jet_Blackb...blackberry.htm


HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAZZY!

Submit "Wed., Jan 27" to Digg Submit "Wed., Jan 27" to del.icio.us Submit "Wed., Jan 27" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed., Jan 27" to Google

Updated January 27th, 2010 at 10:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Spinning , Yoga

Comments

  1. qbrain's Avatar
    No idea how Q did 3+ hours.
    Me neither. My right calf was sore the next two days.

    Anyone done any TRX?
    I looked at it, and maybe I am missing something, but it looks like it needs to be anchored somewhere semi permanent.

    This new flavor looks promising for meets and 2x caffeine.
    Espresso love looks better
  2. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Me neither. My right calf was sore the next two days.

    I looked at it, and maybe I am missing something, but it looks like it needs to be anchored somewhere semi permanent.

    Espresso love looks better
    My hamstrings are sore after just a bit! (Though yoga always has that effect as well.)

    It looks like it has to be semi permanent. What did you think of the exercises or philosophy?

    Espresso love is my current favorite. If caffeine is not needed in excess, I like the Roctane pomegranate flavor.
  3. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    My hamstrings are sore after just a bit! (Though yoga always has that effect as well.)

    It looks like it has to be semi permanent. What did you think of the exercises or philosophy?

    Espresso love is my current favorite. If caffeine is not needed in excess, I like the Roctane pomegranate flavor.
    I don't think I get sore as easily as you do. My legs are constantly tired now from the bike and kicking, but not sore or stiff.

    Not sure about TRX since I stopped reading about it once I figured out it wasn't portable. I will read more about it tomorrow, when I am busy at work.

    Both flavors sound good. I will have to try gu at some point, post broccoli and chicken.
  4. pwb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Espresso love is my current favorite. If caffeine is not needed in excess, I like the Roctane pomegranate flavor.
    Pray tell, is espresso love a gu flavor or something else? I've never used or even tried gu; I figured you had to be a real endurance nutjob like those marathoners and iron-folks to use it. How do you use it at meets or in training?
  5. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    Pray tell, is espresso love a gu flavor or something else? I've never used or even tried gu; I figured you had to be a real endurance nutjob like those marathoners and iron-folks to use it. How do you use it at meets or in training?
    Espresso love is indeed the name of a gu gel. I don't use them that much in training. But it is portable if you're desperate for some pre-workout nutrition to stave off bonking. I like GU for meets where I need to eat, but may not feel like eating or not want to eat anything heavy. It's easily digestible. The Roctane GU gel is for the true endurance junkie, but I like the texture of that better. It's less dense than regular GU.
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I don't think I get sore as easily as you do. My legs are constantly tired now from the bike and kicking, but not sore or stiff.
    I'm probably just a better complainer.

    Or may sometimes use sore and tired interchangeably.
    Updated January 27th, 2010 at 10:30 PM by The Fortress
  7. aquaFeisty's Avatar
    Oh my Lord... looked at the video of those spiderman pushups. I can imagine they are hard!!!

    Got some green bean thingies at Trader Joes yesterday. They are crispy crunchy green beans prolly fried in canola oil with a little salt. Noticed they were gluten free, haha. I'm thinking they're maybe one notch up from a potato chip on the nutrition scale, but they're green and my girls will eat them so...
  8. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    Pray tell, is espresso love a gu flavor or something else? I've never used or even tried gu; I figured you had to be a real endurance nutjob like those marathoners and iron-folks to use it. How do you use it at meets or in training?
    Or 1650er, or 1500er, or OW swimmer...
  9. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaFeisty
    Oh my Lord... looked at the video of those spiderman pushups. I can imagine they are hard!!!

    Got some green bean thingies at Trader Joes yesterday. They are crispy crunchy green beans prolly fried in canola oil with a little salt. Noticed they were gluten free, haha. I'm thinking they're maybe one notch up from a potato chip on the nutrition scale, but they're green and my girls will eat them so...
    They were hard. I feel them in my mid to lower back today. The elevated push ups are very core intensive.

    I haven't been to Trader Joes for awhile. I may need to stop in and check for gluten free snacks!
  10. aztimm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    Pray tell, is espresso love a gu flavor or something else? I've never used or even tried gu; I figured you had to be a real endurance nutjob like those marathoners and iron-folks to use it. How do you use it at meets or in training?
    I agree with you Patrick, I don't like Gu or its variants. Many of those things look more like something that should be coming out of you rather than going in you.


    And Leslie--I can't do more than 20 min on a stationary bike either. But going outside....there's just something exhilarating about getting some fresh air, seeing the mountains, and on the open road. And to think I survived years without biking...(heading out in a few min actually)

    I can understand you forgetting your suit as you did other stuff before, and that would really bum me out (see my entry from Sun when I forgot some bike gear). But what used to puzzle me was swimming at 6am and people would forget suits. Maybe I'm the odd one who wears a suit under shorts to workout? Hard to forget something when you're wearing it. But I sure wouldn't wear it under workout shorts if I'm lifting or running, that's just gross.
  11. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I agree with you Patrick, I don't like Gu or its variants. Many of those things look more like something that should be coming out of you rather than going in you.


    And Leslie--I can't do more than 20 min on a stationary bike either. But going outside....there's just something exhilarating about getting some fresh air, seeing the mountains, and on the open road. And to think I survived years without biking...(heading out in a few min actually)

    I can understand you forgetting your suit as you did other stuff before, and that would really bum me out (see my entry from Sun when I forgot some bike gear). But what used to puzzle me was swimming at 6am and people would forget suits. Maybe I'm the odd one who wears a suit under shorts to workout? Hard to forget something when you're wearing it. But I sure wouldn't wear it under workout shorts if I'm lifting or running, that's just gross.
    Biking in Tucson would be wonderful and beautiful. Biking where I live is flat out dangerous. I know so many cyclists, including Mr. Fort. who have had accidents. And the cars/traffic here, off the bike path, is horrendous. This is probably the main reason I don't do tris.

    My kid once forgot her suit for a 4:45 practice, but she was able to borrow one. I would be steamed if I forgot one at that time of the morning.

    BTW, I can totally see you doing those elevated spiderman push ups!