View RSS Feed

The Labours of SwimStud

Looks like I picked the wrong time to be Johnny Hero on the

Rate this Entry
by , January 28th, 2010 at 03:07 PM (734 Views)
Well I will soon know if I made a grave training error this morning….for some reason I decided that I would run on the treadmill instead of my normal elliptical.

I had a little stretch and got running, eventually getting in a 40 minute run and about 4.5 miles. I wasn’t too unhappy being that I haven’t been running for about a year…

The last 2 miles or so felt REALLY heavy on my legs and I could literally feel yesterday’s weight training on my quads. I would be unconcerned but I am slated for a 200 BR on Sunday…so watch this space…

After the run, I went and did core work with the yoga ball, and a short RC shoulder workout.

I showered and drove to Walgreens to get a protein drink…my legs feel hammered right now. I’m only swimming 2-2.5k tomorrow and no weights.

Submit "Looks like I picked the wrong time to be Johnny Hero on the" to Digg Submit "Looks like I picked the wrong time to be Johnny Hero on the" to del.icio.us Submit "Looks like I picked the wrong time to be Johnny Hero on the" to StumbleUpon Submit "Looks like I picked the wrong time to be Johnny Hero on the" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

With hammered legs already and a 200 BR on Sunday, I think I would make tomorrow's swim heavy on the pull.

Good luck!
    Ack! That's why I don't run much anymore. Between weights and kicking, the legs are already pummeled. Adding running of top that really wrecks the legs. I usually feel like I have the plods when I run these days.

I agree with Matt. Take it easy in the pool for two days, no kicking or cross training. Sit in the hot tub and/or take an ice bath. Ice baths are almost intolerable, but they are good for zapping the fatigue from your legs.

On the upside, that was a very nice run.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress

On the upside, that was a very nice run.
    While it sounds like a good run, I'd avoid doing anything unusual this close to any future meets/races/etc. If you were running regularly, 2 miles or so close to a meet like this wouldn't be a problem. But since you hadn't been, it probably wasn't the best decision.

Definitely listen to Matt and Leslie, and your legs too. Don't be afraid to use ice/heat/meds. Naprox works best for me, usually ice right after activity and/or before bed, heat (hot tub) may work other times. Again, if you don't usually use ice or heat, use them sparingly now.
    Well don't forget I run on the elliptical usually so it's not like I don't do anything...I just feel there was a bit more intensity with a treadmill run..at least on the legs...hopefully the emergency protein drink will help. I drank 2 cups of green tea too!