View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Feel the Burn!

Rate this Entry
Blogging from my iPhone as I stand in line for an hour waiting to get into the HS Regional meet ...

This morning, I met Speedo at OakMarr for our Thursday swim. Fortunately, he checked the website and saw the pool closed at noon, so we met at 10:30. We did the same kick set we did last Thursday. I was worried my legs would still be gassed from my marathon kick session yesterday, but I actually went faster than last week. Pete was somewhat surprised at my kick endurance (and honestly I was too), but I think all those shooters and kick mountains have paid off. It went thusly:

SCY @ OakMarr w/Speedo:

Warm up:

800 various

Kick Set 1:

6 x 200 @ 3:30

1-2 cruise flutter kick w/board to get legs warmed up; I did 150s.)
3-6 = backstroke kick, no fins

Went 2:56, 2:53, 2:56 (nose clip problems), 2:51
I had a good last 25 on the last 200. These were hard!

To compare, last week, I went 2:59, 2:56, 2:56, 2:53.

I'm hoping these have been some practice for next weekend's 200 back.

100 EZ

Kick Set 2:

6 x 100 kick w/fins @ 1:20
odds = flutter kick w/board
evens = backstroke kick

Went: 1:00, 1:03, 1:03, 1:02, 1:03, 1:01. Really got out after it on the first one. . Maybe a little too much ... Got a cramp on the second one and then just went as fast as I could. Legs were really burning. As I recall, last time I went 1:03-1:05. I'll have to check later. (Edit: Yes, my recollection was accurate.)

100 EZ

Kick Set 3:

10 x 1:00 vertical kick
odds = dolphin
evens = breast

100 EZ

10 minutes hot tub

Total: 2800 + VK

Commentary:

My wrist felt better today. That's a good thing after days of intense kicking and leg work! I' done over 10,000 yards in 8 days.

No other time for working out today. We'll see what tomorrow holds. I've heard that school for tomorrow is already cancelled. My investment in DVDs is really paying off this snowy winter.

Submit "Feel the Burn!" to Digg Submit "Feel the Burn!" to del.icio.us Submit "Feel the Burn!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Feel the Burn!" to Google

Updated February 4th, 2010 at 09:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Test Sets

Comments

Woo snowstorm! My car is safe in a garage, and I can walk/ski to the metro station (you know, if anything worth going to happens to be open this weekend).
    People here are saying we'll be socked in for 5 days. I'm just glad I live on a fairly main road that gets plowed quickly. I'm sure the bikram studio will be open ...
    Sounds like a great set. Are you still running? I always struggle with running and kicking any volume. Even without a run the same day, I cramp up pretty easily while kicking, but rarely (I don't think ever) get leg cramps while running.

I wonder if this is the same storm that I ran into in NM yesterday. Very wet snow, a major nuisance. Places that I wouldn't expect to have snow had 4-6". But I think more depends on where...I'd assume VA would be better prepared for it than NM.
    I could never do your kick workouts. I'd be crippled.
    No, I'm really not running at all. Like you note, I can't run when I'm doing kick intensive swimming, plyos and lower body work in the gym and yoga. That's all my legs can take!

VA is not very equipped for snow. We've apparently blown way beyond the snow budget already.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    VA is not very equipped for snow.
    Yyyeah people say this, but no. WA is much, much worse. Basically, there aren't snowplows. Snow has to melt the good old natural way.
    stand in line for an hour waiting to get into the HS Regional meet ...

Huh? Wait in line for a swim meet? What's the deal? Is swimming that popular?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Yyyeah people say this, but no. WA is much, much worse. Basically, there aren't snowplows. Snow has to melt the good old natural way.
    Seriously? How much snow do you get there?

I grew up in MN, so everyone seems like ninnies to me here. Except Mr. Fort and Fortson -- they'll go running in a snowstorm.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    I could never do your kick workouts. I'd be crippled.
    My legs are feeling pretty fatigued after the last week or so. I've done over 10,000 yards of kicking since last Thursday ... With all these snow days and end of quarter days off though, I'm getting tons of sleep. Sleep is like a magic recovery tonic.
    Updated February 4th, 2010 at 08:33 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    stand in line for an hour waiting to get into the HS Regional meet ...

Huh? Wait in line for a swim meet? What's the deal? Is swimming that popular?
    Well, for some reason, they wanted to keep the parents and spectators out of the pool for most of the warm up. So we all had to wait in line to get in. After paying an entry fee too!

Swimming is very popular in this region. You may recall Chris S. noting that 3 of the top 5 best age group teams in the nation are in this area -- Curl Burke, RMSC and NOVA. There are never enough pools.
    I can't do home DVD's I end up on the floor chilling out watching some chick in spandex doing the workout for me...
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    I can't do home DVD's I end up on the floor chilling out watching some chick in spandex doing the workout for me...
    Get one with a guy demo-ing or leading. Mine all seem to be guys. Tony Horton and Bryan Kest are hot but I can still get a workout in. Maybe I have better powers of concentration than you? Or is it the old "guys are visual" problem?
    Get one with a guy demo-ing or leading. Mine all seem to be guys. Tony Horton and Bryan Kest are hot but I can still get a workout in. Maybe I have better powers of concentration than you? Or is it the old "guys are visual" problem?
    I don't want to watch some dude juggling his fruit and veg in a lycra bag...ew...
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    I don't want to watch some dude juggling his fruit and veg in a lycra bag...ew...
    Bryan Kest is wearing jeans in the DVD I have. :-P

And how is this different than a swim meet?

I'm not at a swim meet for th purpose of watching guys...versus if I'm doing a DVD that I have to watch..I think that's a big difference. Besides I 'm looking at you girls at the meets...

There are no Brits running around wearing flags for loin cloths?
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    There are no Brits running around wearing flags for loin cloths?
    Yeah, really. I seem to remember someone at Colony Zones running around flashing his union jack-o-lantern.
    Why is it that the British are obsessed with wearing their flag as underwear? This has always perplexed me.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    Why is it that the British are obsessed with wearing their flag as underwear? This has always perplexed me.
    Me too. But then I know someone with Minnesota Vikings underwear ...