View RSS Feed

Catch, Pull, and Glide!

#2 Whose Idea Was This ?!

Rate this Entry
by , February 9th, 2010 at 08:17 PM (1354 Views)
A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step ... Lao-Tsu

First, let me quell some rumors about my early workouts:
- I was wearing “floaties” … UNTRUE!
- A tugboat pulled up next to me to offer assistance … UNTRUE!
- Lifeguards paced nervously on the deck … UNTRUE … mostly ;-)
- It was ugly, and a bit painful … TRUE! … leading me to mumble the title of this blog entry repeatedly!!!

This is the third time I’ve restarted the climb to competitive swimming after a few years off. It’s a bit like planning your season … but with a much slower ramp-up. I targeted a regional USMS meet about two months after my “re-entry”, hoping to swim the 100 free, 100 back, 100 IM, and 50 free, and maybe a relay at that meet. For the season, I’m hoping to stay on target for our April Zone Championships.

Is that what I normally swim? Some of it is. At heart – and by skill and training - I’m a middle and distance freestyler – the 200, 500 and 1000. I’ve done the 1500 before, and will race the 100 and 50 at times … but I can’t think about those demanding distances this early. I’ve even done a couple of long open water races – ugh! – but more on that in a later entry! I swim the 100 and 200 IM (never the 400!),and also the 100 and 200 back. I’ll do a 100 fly if someone buys me a soy latte, but otherwise I avoid it! And BREASTROKE?! Forget it except for the IM! (Hey, how did those Breastrokers get the first USMS group listing?! ;-) )

Next, let me confirm some rumors
about how I started out my workouts:
- I built my workout distances slowly, opting for more frequent workouts at less yardage … TRUE! I quickly built from 500 to 1800 yards over the first month, and am in the 2000 – 2500 yard range per workout at the end of month two … about 4-5 times per week.
- I used fins to ease my shoulders into their workload, and to help build lungs … TRUE! I’m a big fan of a good set of fins, as long as you don’t keep them on all the time, that is ;- )
- Like “Location” in the real estate mantra … I focused on Technique, Technique, Technique … TRUE! I mentally reviewed my Total Immersion principles and drills, and other theory and coaching that focus on minimal resistance and finding the right place to Catch, Pull, and Glide.
- I remembered that (Masters) Swimming is Fun and also a Social Activity … TRUE! I’ve made some new friends at the pool, and always try to have a smile and friendly word at the ready. And, as we all know, working out with others does give you that bit of extra motivation.
- I remembered that “It’s Me and the Clock” … TRUE! … and to set my targets based on what I’m capable of doing, given the amount of time and effort I’m willing and able to commit.

It’s been a fun start back in the water
. The benefits of working out are great, as you know! My body is slowly getting into shape, I’m sleeping and eating better, and my gills are working much better! Don't forget to look at the USMS "Getting Started" page for some good info this topic.

Next time, we’ll talk about that first swim meet … ! Peace, and Happy Swimming!

Submit "#2 Whose Idea Was This ?!" to Digg Submit "#2 Whose Idea Was This ?!" to del.icio.us Submit "#2 Whose Idea Was This ?!" to StumbleUpon Submit "#2 Whose Idea Was This ?!" to Google

Updated February 11th, 2010 at 12:57 PM by tcooney

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I look forward to your continuing saga!