View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Drive to Swim, Thursday, Feb. 11

Rate this Entry
by , February 11th, 2010 at 06:46 PM (1889 Views)
Desperate for a swim, I spent almost two hours driving back and forth to swim at the Freedom Center. But it was worth it! It seemed like it was set up SCM to me. I had to restrain myself not to overdo it. But I'm up to 2 swims the week before my meet. I think I'll get a short one in sometime tomorrow too.

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
200 fly drills

Main Sets:

10 x 25 shooters on back w/fins @ :35

10 x 25 shootes on belly w/fins @ :35

50 EZ

5 x 50 PLD breast @ 1:15 @ 200 pace or maybe 150 pace

50 EZ

12 X 25
odds = easy speed fly @ 100 pace
evens = EZ

Got kicked out of the pool by a USA team. Had to move over to a shallow pool. Had contemplated doing a fast 50 back, but nixed it since I was sharing a lane and it was 4 feet deep.

100 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP free + 50 EZ)

100 dolphin dive (the only fun part about shallow pools)

Total: 2450

Planning on stretching and RC work tonight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Felt decent. After 4 days of rest, the legs don't feel that rested though. I'm increasingly convinced that a 3 week taper is necessary to adequately rest them to perform at the highest level (given the pummeling they routinely get).

I've been sleeping an obscene amount this week. I feel like I'm in semi-hibernation. It's going to be difficult to get back on a schedule of rising relatively early ...

Notes on Racing Weight Con't:

1. Tailor you carb intake to match your training. The more or harder you train, the more carbs you need. Low levels of carb intake will hinder endurance performance during heavy training.

2. A trained athlete burns carbs at a rate of almost 1 gram pr minute even during moderate exercise.

3. High quality carbs include: whole heat bagel, banana, whole wheat bread, whole grain breakfast cereal, brown rice, lentils, oatmeal, orange juice, baked potato, whole wheat pasta, tomato sauce, low fat yogurt with fruit.

4. Don't worry about fat. Far doesn't make us fat. The typical endurance athletes gets 30-35% of calories from fat. Just worry about getting the right amount of carbs and total calories. There is flexibility in fat intake and it should not prevent you from reaching your ideal racing weight.

5. "The balance of scientific and real world evidence suggests that, in general, endfurane thletes shoujld not go out of thir way to eat a lot of protein. If you're eating enough for optimal performance (10-25%), eating more will have no effect on your performance.

6. Recommended macronutrient ranges: carbs 40-80%, fat 20-40%, protein 10-25%.

7. To ensure your energy sources are properly balanced, it is advised to do a dietary audit for 3 days. There is a nutrition tracker on www.racingweight.com.

8. Eat early! Regular breakfast eaters tend to be leaner. Eating early causes overall reduced appetite and reduced eating throughout the day. Before early am workouts, one should consume a small dose of easily absorbable carbs (sport drink, banana, smoothie, yogurt).

9. Eating frequently does not increase metabolism. It may reduce appetite. But eating frequently only works if you don't overeat at the small meals.

10. Consume at least 100 grams of carbs before workouts. Eat during exercise. There is no difference between a high calorie sport drinks and a low cal one in terms of increased endurance. Eating after exercise promotes leanness.

Next chapter: Controlling Your Appetite

Note: Vive sent me a note observing the following: "One of the reviewers of Matt Fitzgerald's Racing Weight on Amazon says the author repeats some now discredited physiology info. No biggy, says the reviewer. But it looks like a bit of caution might be useful in translating some of the specifics."

I have never carefully tracked my diet. However, I think I have 3 flaws: (1) I don't eat enough early in the day, though I do always eat breakfast, (2) I always snack at 11:00 pm, and (3) I may overeat and not exercise portion control at times, particularly at dinner.

Submit "Drive to Swim, Thursday, Feb. 11" to Digg Submit "Drive to Swim, Thursday, Feb. 11" to del.icio.us Submit "Drive to Swim, Thursday, Feb. 11" to StumbleUpon Submit "Drive to Swim, Thursday, Feb. 11" to Google

Updated February 11th, 2010 at 08:19 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Good for you, you got to swim! No back problems from snow removal?

I totally agree that protein component doesn't need to be manipulated much. Its about 1 gram protein per kg of body weight per day. The source of this advice is a dietician I work with who has run every day for about 30 years (that's very weird, but he knows his stuff). The carbs should reflect our activity level, and the fat should be high quality: no trans-fats, moderate the saturated fats, go for it with avocados, nuts, etc.

The hard part is that if you're going to be serious, you have to do a fair amount of work to track portions and figure out the component totals. I prefer the simple approach: fixed and modest high quality protein and fats, trough out on good fruits and vegies, carbs amounts determined by activity levels.
    Glad you got in the pool today! Are the areas pool at least open tomorrow?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaegermeister

The hard part is that if you're going to be serious, you have to do a fair amount of work to track portions and figure out the component totals. I prefer the simple approach: fixed and modest high quality protein and fats, trough out on good fruits and vegies, carbs amounts determined by activity levels.
    This is what gets me too. I'm more of a macro than a micro person. I don't think I could do the serious work ... But I could be more careful than I am in the 3 areas I identified.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Glad you got in the pool today! Are the areas pool at least open tomorrow?
    Everything reopens at 6:00 am tomorrow.
    That's pretty good nutrition advice, except I wouldn't sweat macronutrient percentages, and I don't like the yogurt recommendation. Check the label; most yogurt has tons of sugar/HFCS added.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    That's pretty good nutrition advice, except I wouldn't sweat macronutrient percentages, and I don't like the yogurt recommendation. Check the label; most yogurt has tons of sugar/HFCS added.
    Does lowfat yogurt? I would't know since I'm banned from yogurt.

Yeah, I think that was his point -- don't sweat the percentages too much. That's why the recommendations have such a broad range. He evens says the old 60-20-20 ratio is old school; carb % should just vary with training load.
    Hey Queen of the 50 fly, check out my first 50 fly. I'm in black. Video stinks but you get the idea. See anything wrong?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se9FTlt1xQA&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Feb 7th Meet - 50 Fly - USMS Masters Swimming Meet[/ame]
    Since Jaeg and you are both psuedo interested, let me give you an overview of Athlete's Plate to compliment your much more detailed Racing Weight review.

He is a local grown organic food promoter, so that side of things seems a bit preachy to me. The other thing he wants to promote is that the athlete needs to take more control of their diet and stop eating the same things over and over and instead eat a variety of seasonal fresh foods.

A quick review of the recipes and I will get my money's work out of them. The recipes are mostly quick and easy, because athlete's are busy, but they need to eat healthy Several quinoa recipes that I will have to try, two broccoli soup recipes that looks like it takes about 3 minutes to make for Fort.

That's it for now.

Glad you got a swim in, and the Racing Weight book still sounds great. It was not part of the early delivery
    Interesting.

3 meals and 2 snack times a day is good nutrition strategy. The snacks stave off hunger and prevent you form eating to large a meal when it's meal time.

By the way...you should be able to get plenty of carbs from a variety of fruits, brown rice pasta and brown rice... and a variety of Ezekiel bread products.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Since Jaeg and you are both psuedo interested, let me give you an overview of Athlete's Plate to compliment your much more detailed Racing Weight review.

He is a local grown organic food promoter, so that side of things seems a bit preachy to me. The other thing he wants to promote is that the athlete needs to take more control of their diet and stop eating the same things over and over and instead eat a variety of seasonal fresh foods.

A quick review of the recipes and I will get my money's work out of them. The recipes are mostly quick and easy, because athlete's are busy, but they need to eat healthy Several quinoa recipes that I will have to try, two broccoli soup recipes that looks like it takes about 3 minutes to make for Fort.

That's it for now.

Glad you got a swim in, and the Racing Weight book still sounds great. It was not part of the early delivery
    Maybe eating the same things over and over again is like doing the same workout over and over again? I noticed that Racing Weight stresses variety.

I want to quinoa recipes! If the broccoli soup has lactose free cheese it might be tolerable. There is a recipe in this book for pearl barley risotto with shrimp lemon and spinach that you might like.
    Updated February 11th, 2010 at 08:53 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by rtodd
    Hey Queen of the 50 fly, check out my first 50 fly. I'm in black. Video stinks but you get the idea. See anything wrong?
    Well, it was hard to see much, but I noticed a few things. First off, you have a nice low recovery and don't seem to be wasting time going up and down. Good! You looked a bit splashy on the start. You need to keep a tighter streamline and work on a cleaner entry. (I need to do this as well.) It looked like you were splashing too much water on the catch. Perhaps the hands are entering a touch too soon or aren't relaxed enough? The finish looked fishy -- did you glide in? How does that time stack up for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver

3 meals and 2 snack times a day is good nutrition strategy. The snacks stave off hunger and prevent you form eating to large a meal when it's meal time.

By the way...you should be able to get plenty of carbs from a variety of fruits, brown rice pasta and brown rice... and a variety of Ezekiel bread products.
    That's what I've been trying to do. The eating too much at dinner time and at night is probably just a lack of discipline. But everyone is always starving in my house, so I typically make a lot for dinner when I would be happy with less.
    Time is good since it was my first try.

At the finish I got caught in between strokes and decided for an extra. On the way down I no breathed untill near the flags so I could better anticipate the wall, on the way back I just kept my head down and I got burned going in. Maybe it's better to take a look out near the flags. A better touch is worth the lost time in breathing...no?

I think you are right that my hands were ahead of what my body was doing. I wasn't letting my body dictate the arm timing, but rather I was forcing the arms and trying to recover and catch too soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by rtodd
    Time is good since it was my first try.

At the finish I got caught in between strokes and decided for an extra. On the way down I no breathed untill near the flags so I could better anticipate the wall, on the way back I just kept my head down and I got burned going in. Maybe it's better to take a look out near the flags. A better touch is worth the lost time in breathing...no?

I think you are right that my hands were ahead of what my body was doing. I wasn't letting my body dictate the arm timing, but rather I was forcing the arms and trying to recover and catch too soon.
    Great! Very solid first effort.

Breathing can be tricky. I breathe 2x in a 50 fly -- about 2/3 of the way down and 2/3 back. You might want to breathe slightly earlier on the first length since you get a breath at the turn. I try not to breathe too close to the finish; this has cost me time before. But I do sometimes take a look up with my eyes to judge how far I am from the wall about 3-4 strokes from the finish.

The kick should carry the arms forward. Don't forget to kick hard -- the legs just don't go along for the ride on a 50!
    You and Tom are both dedicated with finding the rare open pool and driving to get to it. I don't understand how if a gym is open why their pool wouldn't be, but that must be beyond me.

I agree on the eating early thing, but I rarely do it. I'm usually in such a rush to leave home for swim workout that I don't eat prior. I guess I could eat while driving there. A couple weeks ago, I was up early before a long run, had a breakfast sandwich, and that was one of my best timed long runs in ages, so I know it works, it is just a matter of applying it.

Got my copy of Racing Weight today. I'll start on it and post some things in my blog too.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    You and Tom are both dedicated with finding the rare open pool and driving to get to it. I don't understand how if a gym is open why their pool wouldn't be, but that must be beyond me.
    In my gym's case, the pool is under a bubble and it was crushed by 3-4 inches of snow. No idea when it will be operational again. The rec centers (with gym and pool) were all closed today. My kid's team literally had all their practice groups from far and wide at one Sport & Health with an indoor pool today. Bet the regular patrons just loved that ...

Look forward to your thoughts on the book!
    Glad you were able to get the swim in! The news showed the average amounts of snowfall for the mid Atlantic states and the northeast compared to this year's reality. Things are backwards, we usually get more snow than folks further south but we have actually been very lucky this year and the storms keep missing us. Everyone is up in arms because they closed the state (I got to go home early) and schools were all closed wednesday but then we got next to nothing for snowfall. Better we were all home safe had it done what it was supposed to though. One weatherman actually had the traffic girl break an egg on his face since he decided to take blame for the "bad" forecasting.

I've been tracking my diet for a long time and my main issue right now is total number of calories. I am starving all morning so I eat breakfast and a number of small snacks (low or nonfat yogurt, fruit, oatmeal). I am less hungry after lunch but if I am working out I need to eat something or I'll be exhausted part way through. Then I come home and I don't want much for dinner but it is a struggle since my boyfriend tends not to eat much during the day and then wants a huge dinner. I've been eating less at dinner since I don't need/want it, but there are days my overall calorie count is a bit higher than I'd like.

Thanks for sharing some insights from the book!
    Quote Originally Posted by jessicafk11

Then I come home and I don't want much for dinner but it is a struggle since my boyfriend tends not to eat much during the day and then wants a huge dinner.

That's my problem too ...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    That's what I've been trying to do. The eating too much at dinner time and at night is probably just a lack of discipline. But everyone is always starving in my house, so I typically make a lot for dinner when I would be happy with less.
    Have a cup of tea or some chicken broth while you're preparing dinner. On weeknights I do most of the cooking in our house and this keeps me from eating while I'm puttering around the kitchen.

Surprisingly you may find yourself consuming much less at dinner from a simple cup of hot liquid 1/2 hour before meal time.