View RSS Feed

Random Nonsense

Snow way! 12.5 inches of snow in Dallas

Rate this Entry
FTS

The only snow plows I knew of before today were the ones the airport keeps. DOT must have some too, because the highways were great driving to work, but nothing else was cleared except from use. For the most part, the roads should be fine by later today, although it is not supposed to be warm enough to melt off the snow until Sunday. I will be very careful walking outside

Random Updates

Ribs: They are good. They are a little sore at the end of the day, but I think that is because my upper left side had not been used for six weeks and now is getting used twice a day. I am lifting very light weights, but I only attempted a pullover and have not attempted a pull up at all. For those who missed it, I bruised my ribs when I was taking an arm load of recyclables to the curb and slipped on a patch of ice on the driveway leftover from the snow Christmas eve. My first, and hopefully last, white Christmas.

It took six weeks until my ribs felt good enough to train again, but I caught a cold that kept me out of the water for another week. Seven weeks was probably better anyway.

Cold: Took about 10 days to really feel good again. Today is day 14, and I am probably a little snottier than usual, but between allergies and cold weather, I am not sure I would be any different if I hadn't had a cold. I always think colds take about 3 days to get over, so for future reference, 10 days.

Diet: I am on a greens and lean protein Sun-Friday diet. Saturday anything goes. This was fine when I wasn't swimming, but it is harder now that I am swimming again. No weight goal, the goal was just to get cut while I couldn't swim or lift and the loss of power was rather meaningless. I had NO idea I was carrying as much fat as I was. Based on a study I read, I estimate I lost 3 pounds of muscle for every 7 pounds of fat since I wasn't able to lift during that time.

Long term, this diet will probably morph into something based on all the research Fort is doing for me My diet will have to change again, since I am currently operating at a caloric debt of 1600 calories/day.

How lean am I? There is currently definition in my stomach, but I don't have an 8 pack... yet. Of course Tantra says I have 16+% body fat today, so... 20+ lbs in 6 weeks.

Books: I joined TFBC (The Fortress Book Club) and ordered this month's book, Racing Weight.

I also ordered Athlete's Plate and Championship Swim Training. Athlete's Plate is for the green vegetable recipes more than the locally grown organic holistic dirtylonghairedhippie eating philosophy. I will read the preaching as well, because he does cite sources and there is going to be some useful information in that section. Championship Swim Training will hopefully give me a better understanding of training.

Next Meet: I have not even signed up for the next meet. I am interested to swim again, but not really excited with only 3 weeks of water time before the meet. Bleh. Finis was also sold out of full body suits in my size, so I will be wearing a regular suit.

Submit "Snow way!  12.5 inches of snow in Dallas" to Digg Submit "Snow way!  12.5 inches of snow in Dallas" to del.icio.us Submit "Snow way!  12.5 inches of snow in Dallas" to StumbleUpon Submit "Snow way!  12.5 inches of snow in Dallas" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I don't see how you had that much fat to lose!!
    Isn't your 12.5" a little weird for Texas? This is the year of the big, strange snow storms!
    I'm glad you are feeling better!
    Are you constantly starving with a 1600 calorie deficit? Can you post a sample greens + protein day? Are greens just way less caloric than fruit?

I also bought Swimming Anatomy awhile ago. Unfortunately, found I was doing or had gone beyond many of the exercises in it, though I'd like to know the physiology behind it all.

I have Devil in a White City in my queue.
    I saw that DFW was getting snow, but didn't realize it was that much. Even Houston is cold and rainy, according to my sister. Just be careful out there!

Good luck with keeping to that diet. I go through phases with mine. When I'm not training as much it shifts to far less carbs and protein heavy. I try to avoid desserts most of the time.

I'll send you my TYR Aquapel if you want. I tried it on once, but it has never seen water. I think it is a 30 or 32. If I do a meet while it would still be allowed, it would be hypocritical for me to wear it, and this way I wouldn't even be tempted. Let me know if you're interested.
    You should be in a fairly good swimming shape in 20 days? That's a good amount of time to get ready for a meet.
    You're lean and mean and much stealthier now.
    If I see any deals on suits I'll let you know.

Are you going vegan? I tried that once and felt like fainting all the time. Never again.
    Someone has got to eat the cows and chickens. Might as well be us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    I don't see how you had that much fat to lose!!
    Isn't your 12.5" a little weird for Texas? This is the year of the big, strange snow storms!
    I'm glad you are feeling better!
    I think I have lost about 16lbs of pure fat. For someone who weighed 194 pounds in good shape I probably was around 30 lbs of fat.

12.5" of snow in Dallas is the new record. I don't remember the amounts of the old records, but they were from 1977, 1964, and 1913. We usually get 0 snow a year and 1 or 2 ice storms. There are 22 cubes on my aisle at work, and 3 people showed up. It is very unusual, but there are parts of Texas in the panhandle that get lots of snow, so it isn't unusual for Texas per se.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Are you constantly starving with a 1600 calorie deficit? Can you post a sample greens + protein day? Are greens just way less caloric than fruit?

I also bought Swimming Anatomy awhile ago. Unfortunately, found I was doing or had gone beyond many of the exercises in it, though I'd like to know the physiology behind it all.

I have Devil in a White City in my queue.
    The hunger is getting worse but wasn't that bad most of January.

Breakfast:
    - Black bean salsa egg white omlette
    - latte with 1 Tbs agave nectar (8-10 oz whole milk)
    Lunch:
    - large crown raw broccoli
    - boneless skinless chicken thigh
    Dinner:
    - Shrimp and Spinach sauteed in garlic and olive oil
    - 1 Reese's peanut butter cup minitures

I am currently reading Budding Prospects, Tehanu and Technical Analysis Explained. My fiction queue has The Belgariad and another book that Lazy Wife thought I would like, but I have no idea what it is. My non fiction list now has 6 books in it, the 3 mentioned above I will try to finish this weekend, plus lazy wife is reading the tipping point, and I might have a couple more and I have more fiction coming today. I need a healthy queue to get me to Asia and back.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I saw that DFW was getting snow, but didn't realize it was that much. Even Houston is cold and rainy, according to my sister. Just be careful out there!

Good luck with keeping to that diet. I go through phases with mine. When I'm not training as much it shifts to far less carbs and protein heavy. I try to avoid desserts most of the time.

I'll send you my TYR Aquapel if you want. I tried it on once, but it has never seen water. I think it is a 30 or 32. If I do a meet while it would still be allowed, it would be hypocritical for me to wear it, and this way I wouldn't even be tempted. Let me know if you're interested.
    The prediction was 3-5 inches and DFW got 12.5.

I am not going to try to stick to this diet long term, this diet is a cutting diet. Long term, I would like to eat some green vegetables at lunch and dinner and eat a more varied diet. Hopefully between Athlete's Plate and Racing Weight, I can put together something more intelligent than what I was doing before. It will probably be as simple cutting white carbs on days I don't work out much. On heavy workout days, 3-4,000 calories will be fine.

My weight gain was intentional, but the result wasn't what I was really looking for.

Thanks for the offer, but I would actually prefer to swim sans tech suit so I know what to expect at the next USA-S meet. I have a FINA 2010 legal jammer I might break out.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    You should be in a fairly good swimming shape in 20 days? That's a good amount of time to get ready for a meet.
    You're lean and mean and much stealthier now.
    If I see any deals on suits I'll let you know.

Are you going vegan? I tried that once and felt like fainting all the time. Never again.
    Someone has got to eat the cows and chickens. Might as well be us.
    The meet is two weeks from today and Wednesday I couldn't break 2:00 on 150s, so I don't know what to tell you. I have high expectations for your racing ability and you have high expectations for my ramp up time

I am not worried about the suit, although it would have been fun to try one out. I might be able to get a B70 in time, and it is only $40 more than I was going to spend on the Amphibian.

Hell NO to the vegan. What a silly idea. Even the best vegetable dishes require pork fat The broccoli is self inflicted punishment for being dumb and not being careful on the ice.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Are greens just way less caloric than fruit?
    Greens have less calories than fruit, but I am really picky about my fruit. I like it fresh and perfect, and I only don't like all fruit. Vegetables I pretty much dislike across the board, so they make a much better diet choice.
    They say, you are what you eat. Have some bbq ribs.

And whatever you do, shovel your driveway. That's just nutty to get 12 inches of snow down south.
    You'll be feeling much better in 2 weeks from today.

There may be dealers (for Amphibians) on other parts of the globe.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Greens have less calories than fruit, but I am really picky about my fruit. I like it fresh and perfect, and I only don't like all fruit. Vegetables I pretty much dislike across the board, so they make a much better diet choice.
    It depresses me to hate what I eat.

I'm another hell no to vegan. Blech!