View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Lactate Pain, Thursday, Feb. 25

Rate this Entry
by , February 25th, 2010 at 07:33 PM (5918 Views)
Swim/SCY @ OakMarr w/Speedo:

Warm up:

400 swim
200 kick
200 fly drills

10 x 25 shooters on back

Transition Set:

10 x 50 @ 1:00, mod pace
mixed up strokes

Lactate Set:

3 x (100 AFAP + 200 EZ) @ 9:00

Pete and I both approached this set with trepidation. He hadn't been feeling well; I'd been feeling tired. But we had at it, exceeding our expectations and improving since the last time we did this set on 10/1/09. Pete did free, and I did back with fins like last time. I felt like death on the first one; I was completely gassed and faded with typical wimpy sprinter elan on the last 25. Had to mentally regroup. I contemplated doing fewer SDKs on the first 25 to see if I had more left at the end. But the only way I can beat Speedo is to get an early lead via SDKs and try to hold it, so I persisted. He got me on the first two nevertheless with his new super duper flutter kick. The last 100 I concentrated on keeping my upper body as still as possible and staying under as long as I could. This yielded a better time. I was slightly nauseous after this set. Anyway, it went thusly:

1st 100:
last time: low 53
this time: low 54

2nd 100:
last time: mid 53
this time: mid 53

3rd 100:
last time: 54 low
this time: 52+

Total: 2450

I consider this an improvement on last time, mostly because I descended my times instead of ascending them. I was dead after this and had no desire to do any drills. Limped to the hot tub for a 10-15 minute soak.

P90X Stretch:

I never realized there was a P90X DVD devoted just to stretching. Found this out today from a P90X trainer on FB (it's disc 7). I didn't feel up to real yoga, but felt like I needed a stretch since I was sore and tired. So I plugged the DVD in, and did about 45-50 minutes of it. I fast forwarded through the tricep stretch part, which seemed to be the verboten USAS shoulder stretches. A few of the stretches were bikram yoga poses. This was just what I needed -- yoga light -- without the taxing standing and balancing postures.

Here's a list of the stretches: http://www.videofitness.com/reviews/horton-p90x-str.php. For those of you short on time, I recall Paul Clydesdale Smith saying that he aspired to always start his day with 10 sun salutations.

Here's an article on the health benefits of yoga, including that it may help prevent cancer: http://www.mdanderson.org/publicatio...abenefits.html

Here's a list of P90X recipes for breakfast:

http://www.beachbody.com/product/new...tter)#nl_offer

Here's a FB P90X article (on Tony Horton's page) that agrees with Michael Pollan's book below about fewer ingredients being better: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=320400757403.

Nutrition/Diet:

I've been reading Michael Pollan's short book, Food Rules. It's very short and zippy and and cleverly debunks the machinations of "The Nutritional Industrial Complex." The basic message is: (1) eat real food, not ersatz "edible foodlike substances" that are typically packaged; (2) eat mostly plants, and (3) don't eat too much.

He accurately calls nutrition an extremely young science. There are only several verifiable facts. The so-called "Western" diet (with processed foods, meats, fat, sugar, refined grains, little fruit & veg) causes disease (obesity, cancer, heart disease and diabetes). It's not known which of these dietary elements is the evil culprit. Too much focus is being placed on identifying the culprit, he opines, because food manufacturers can then tweak their products, process food more, and well, make more money.

He lists 64 rules and explains them. See, e.g., a couple reviews:

http://www.pbs.org/pov/blog/2010/01/...food_rules.php

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/02/health/02brod.htm (Jane Brody)

I chatted with Jazz briefly about the book last night. He likes Pollan's approach, but wonders if he discounts starch too much. See, e.g.,

http://www.news-medical.net/news/2007/09/10/29586.aspx

I was wondering about one of his comments -- that we have an "inborn preference for sweetness and fat and salt." What evolutionary process explains this? I guess it's the food processors manipulating us?

So far I'm having a banner day nutrition wise!

Mr. Fort's Studliness:

I am the worst athlete in our family apparently. Mr. Fort turned in some impressive results on his testing:

body fat = 7%
VO2 max = 61
lactate threshold = 91% of VO2 max

I don't know much about VO2 max except that is apparently somewhat innate and cannot be improved upon too much. It varies by age and gender. The average college male has a VO2Max of 44, I'm told. [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VO2_max[/ame].

Mr. Fort's lactate score is the most impressive. According to Joel Friel's Cyclist Bible, elite cyclists have a 80-90% range. And Mr. Fort is 50!

I have no desire to have these test done, though Mr. Fort did urge me too. There is another test for anaerobic power output that he didn't take.

Commentary:

That was a smackdown. I'm tired and sore. My shoulders are sore from the lifting earlier this week. My legs are sore from the AFAP SDK-ing. Tomorrow, will be another recovery type day with probably some bikram yoga.

Submit "Lactate Pain, Thursday, Feb. 25" to Digg Submit "Lactate Pain, Thursday, Feb. 25" to del.icio.us Submit "Lactate Pain, Thursday, Feb. 25" to StumbleUpon Submit "Lactate Pain, Thursday, Feb. 25" to Google

Updated February 25th, 2010 at 11:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Yoga , Test Sets

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    That's the money set for sprinting - painful, nauseating, stressful but the only way to truly get faster, I think anyway.

Mr. Fort might be inspiring me take advantage of our team's offer to have this done on us.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    That's the money set for sprinting - painful, nauseating, stressful but the only way to truly get faster, I think anyway.

Mr. Fort might be inspiring me take advantage of our team's offer to have this done on us.
    You should! Nothing to lose. Just some pain to experience. Except I have no desire to know my body fat. When I go back to running and quit swimming because I can't recover from the suit trauma, then I'll do body fat testing.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    stressful
    You would have lost sleep worrying about that set.
    Great job descending the set. I have to wonder how a drop dead sprinter managed that while Mr. Middle Distance did not...

I was wondering about one of his comments -- that we have an "inborn preference for sweetness and fat and salt." What evolutionary process explains this? I guess it's the food processors manipulating us?
    If food was hard to come by, anything sweet and anything fatty would have high energy density, and we would want to eat that before low energy density foods. Ever notice low density foods don't have much taste?

I think salt preference evolved because it was quite rare, and rather important to have some to retain water.

Of course why, evolution and proof are exclusive

How was Mr. Fort's body fat done? Calipers, hydro, dexa? I would love to get tested.
    I might, just might steal this set. Even though I'm trying to swim a fast 1000, 500 and 200 fly in ~2 weeks, I'm now panicking that I have done about zero speed work!

You and Mr. Fort need to find some "Fittest Couple Parents" contest and take those other losers down!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Great job descending the set.

How was Mr. Fort's body fat done? Calipers, hydro, dexa? I would love to get tested.
    Thanks, I was surprised.

I'm not sure. Have to ask. He's out of town right now. Something about a fancy machine.

I wasn't surprised with all the running, cycling and lifting he does. Plus, the failure to imbibe pinot or chard. Although he still thinks that non-fat food is better and that diet soda is perfectly fine. On that latter point, Pollan says: "Switching to artificial sweeteners does not lead to weight loss, for reasons not yet well understood. But it may be that deceiving the brain with the reward of sweetness stimulates a craving for even more sweetness."

Are you still on the weekend wine schedule?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    I might, just might steal this set. Even though I'm trying to swim a fast 1000, 500 and 200 fly in ~2 weeks, I'm now panicking that I have done about zero speed work!

You and Mr. Fort need to find some "Fittest Couple Parents" contest and take those other losers down!
    Isn't it enough that I step into the OW and do tries with him?! lol And you and your wife might kick our ass!

And isn't it good for mid distance swimmers to do lactate work every once in awhile too? Yep, I think so! Do it!
    Updated February 25th, 2010 at 10:46 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    You would have lost sleep worrying about that set.
    Ha, I almost wrote this, you know me well.
    Great job descending the set. I have to wonder how a drop dead sprinter managed that while Mr. Middle Distance did not...
    Yeah, really! I'm starting to think that she's not a pure sprinter- just pace-impaired.

My progression through the set is more sprinterish if you ask me.
    I wasn't surprised with all the running, cycling and lifting he does. Plus, the failure to imbibe pinot or chard. Although he still thinks that non-fat food is better and that diet soda is not evil. On that latter point, Pollan says: "Switching to artificial sweeteners does not lead to weight loss, for reasons not yet well understood. But it may be that deceiving the brain with the reward of sweetness stimulates a craving for even more sweetness."
    Hmmm... Fancy machine probably means Dexa or something pretty accurate, unless Mr. Fort thinks two diodes taped to his body connected to a small radio is fancy.

I don't agree with Mr. Fort's dietary choices. I am sure he will be crushed.

I had an ounce of wine tonight, white, but for the most part just drinking wine on Saturday.

Wine will probably stay a limited to Saturdays but food/diet is really a challenge right now. I am not comfortable with how much I can/should be eating and there isn't a benchmark that would tell me I am doing the right thing.

Wednesday one of my coaches was lamenting how great it would be if someone would just tell you what to eat and what the results would be. At the time I took her to mean results in the pool, but she might have meant leaner, more energy and faster recovery. I will ask tomorrow. Right now I would sign up for a detailed training and nutrition plan if I knew someone I trusted just so I could stop thinking about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Yeah, really! I'm starting to think that she's not a pure sprinter- just pace-impaired.

My progression through the set is more sprinterish if you ask me.
    Definitely pace impaired! Although my last 200 effort was mostly cramp impaired. I'm seriously thinking of getting out the pool the next time this happens in a race. Not worth the agony and stress.

I was typically sprinter-ish the first time around on that set!

You may have just run out of juice from not feeling tip top by the end. Still, you blew the doors off all your previous times.
    Hmmm... Fancy machine probably means Dexa or something pretty accurate, unless Mr. Fort thinks two diodes taped to his body connected to a small radio is fancy.

I don't agree with Mr. Fort's dietary choices. I am sure he will be crushed.

I had an ounce of wine tonight, white, but for the most part just drinking wine on Saturday.

Wine will probably stay a limited to Saturdays but food/diet is really a challenge right now. I am not comfortable with how much I can/should be eating and there isn't a benchmark that would tell me I am doing the right thing.

Wednesday one of my coaches was lamenting how great it would be if someone would just tell you what to eat and what the results would be. At the time I took her to mean results in the pool, but she might have meant leaner, more energy and faster recovery. I will ask tomorrow. Right now I would sign up for a detailed training and nutrition plan if I knew someone I trusted just so I could stop thinking about it.
    One ounce? Is that like a tablespoon? That's a tease.

Mr. Fort is old school about some things ... But it was probably the Dexa. I don't touch anything fat free. I do sometimes have a diet coke, though I know Geek thinks it's poison.

I completely agree with the last thought! I wish I had a more exact nutrition plan to follow. I haven't gotten any further than attempting to "eat healthy." Though I have no burning inclination to spend more time cooking. Alternatively, I could just win the lottery and have an expert personal chef (as well as a full time masseuse).

Mr. Fort is old school about some things ... But it was probably the Dexa. I don't touch anything fat free. I do sometimes have a diet coke, though I know Geek thinks it's poison.

I completely agree with the last thought! I wish I had a more exact nutrition plan to follow. I haven't gotten any further than attempting to "eat healthy." Though I have no burning inclination to spend more time cooking. Alternatively, I could just win the lottery and have an expert personal chef (as well as a full time masseuse).
    2 Tablespoons, obviously it wasn't Pinot.

I think diet coke is evil too. If there is no sugar, why bother?

Our initial lottery spendings would be very similar.

Our initial lottery spendings would be very similar.
    Chef, masseuse, travel. Don't care so much about things.

I actually like the taste of diet coke. But I don't drink it much. Not like AquaMan who gulps it in huge mega cups.

Don't fret, we keep DC in business at our house, wife is addicted to the poison.
    Could you give some more info on the tests your husband took? How the body fat was measured, how long the whole thing took, the different things he did (I'm assuming he ran on a treadmill, how long?), and most importantly, about how much all this cost?

Some people I know have 'won' these tests from some of our triathlons or Splash + Dash races, and I'd love to subject myself to it, just for kicks.

Did you see this article in Runner's World? It immediately reminded me of you....
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Could you give some more info on the tests your husband took? How the body fat was measured, how long the whole thing took, the different things he did (I'm assuming he ran on a treadmill, how long?), and most importantly, about how much all this cost?

Some people I know have 'won' these tests from some of our triathlons or Splash + Dash races, and I'd love to subject myself to it, just for kicks.

Did you see this article in Runner's World? It immediately reminded me of you....
    I'll ask him some more details when he gets home tonight. I know the test too about an hour. He actually did it on a bike. You can do it on a bike, treadmill or endless pool.

Saw the article! lol
    Chef, masseuse, travel. Don't care so much about things.

I actually like the taste of diet coke. But I don't drink it much. Not like AquaMan who gulps it in huge mega cups.
    Maybe that is radioactive and mutates the ankle joints into rubberbands.
    I'll ask him some more details when he gets home tonight. I know the test too about an hour. He actually did it on a bike. You can do it on a bike, treadmill or endless pool.
    Very jealous.
    Mr. Fort's numbers are impressive but their value is open to debate. See this from the website Science of Sport http://www.sportsscientists.com/

The fallacy of physiological superiority

Similarly, and this is an area where I can conclude more definitively, we tend to find physiological explanations that don't exist. If I had a dollar for every person who says that Lance Armstrong wins races because he has a 'super-human' VO2max, or that he produces less lactate than other riders, I'd be running this site as a full-time occupation, sipping cocktails on an island! It's simply not true - if I gave you a chart of 50 top athletes' VO2max values, and asked you to identify who would win, you'd have more chance throwing a dart into the chart than of correctly working it out.

The reality is that physiological factors, at least for these sports, are too intangible to pin down, and success is never down to one thing. Lance Armstrong has "average" values compared to other elite athletes, and if there is a physiological difference, it's 0.1% in size, too small for us to measure.

Having said that, to say that all the top athletes are equal is also not entirely correct. As I've mentioned, the differences are incredibly small - Contador wins the Tour de France because he can sustain a power output 2% higher than the next person for a cumulative total of 60 minutes during a three week race. That creates the margin, which in the end, is substantial.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast