View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Monday 03/01/2010: AM Swim & PM Gym

Rate this Entry
by , March 2nd, 2010 at 01:14 AM (558 Views)
Made it to swim this morning with the team, Kino Aquatic Center (Mesa, AZ), SCY
Laura Smith was on deck coaching solo (Paul in Denver)

got in around 400 warm-up choice
200 swim
200 pull
200 kick
12 x (100 @ 1:30, 50 @ 1:00)
400 pull
4 x 25 scull @ :45
200 warm-down

total: 3500 yards

notes--
* never realized how animated and loud Paul is; Laura is still a great coach but without all the drama of Paul
* Laura stressed that Monday is NOT yoga Monday, but aerobic Monday. She said Thursdays are yoga Thursdays (I think she's upset not many people swim Thursdays)
* on the set of 12 100s/50s, the 100s were easy, 50s supposed to be fast. I just didn't have much speed in me though.
* at one point Laura asked me how my weekend was, I said good...then she asked me how I was feeling, said the same, and she told me I'm a horrible actor.
* several people asked me afterward if I was ok. my legs really didn't feel too good, but the swim was good to stretch them out.

had several people at work ask if I was ok...I wasn't quite limping around, but more walking like Frankenstein around the bldg...once I'm up and walking it isn't bad, but just getting there was tough.
woke up during the night last night with my legs sweating like crazy the sheets all sopping wet. I'm tempted to either put them in an ice bath tonight or just in the backyard pool; don't know if I could tolerate either for very long.

went to the gym after work (probably shouldn't have), and did this--
Treadmill: 4:00, 30.5 cal, .3 mile
Elliptical: 10:00, 122 cal, 1.04 mile, crossramp 8, resistance 7
Step ups forward w 25 lb dumbbells: 2 x 10
Step ups lateral: 2 x 10
Step downs: 2 x 10
Bench: 1 x 15 x 45, 3 x 10 x 135, 2 x 8 x 156
Dumbbell flys: 1 x 15 x 40, 3 x 10 x 60
Hammer strength seated row: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 180, 1 x 10 x 200
Lifefitness shoulder press: 2 x 10 x 80
Flexfitness dip machine: 1 x 15 x 165, 2 x 10 x 225
Lifefitness biceps curl: 1 x 15 x 50, 2 x 12 x 110
Lifefitness triceps extension: 1 x 15 x 50, 2 x 12 x 95
Hammer strength abs crunch: 1 x 30 x 120, 2 x 25 x 130
Leg raise: 3 x 15

gym notes--
* while entering the gym, there was a trainer gal doing body fat analysis, I figured what the heck. they had a digital hand-held thing that gave me 14.4%. then she used calipers, on my right bicep, triceps, at my hip, and I think 1 more but I can't remember....that had me around 16%. she was really surprised, I think I was her lowest all day. she did talk diet, asked about protein, etc.
* now I should NOT have even attempted the treadmill, I don't know what I was thinking. what had been a dull pain before was very sharp when I went beyond a walk. so I stopped and moved to the elliptical, which was much more tolerable.
* the stool stuff was things I had done in PT, and Leslie suggested something like my step-down, but hers was much more difficult. not surprisingly, my right leg (with the sprained ankle) was stronger. after i was done though, my legs did feel a bit better, and I was able to walk mostly normally.
* for my bench, I asked for a spot on the first at 155. then I was sitting there, kind of recovering, debating if I wanted to do another round, when another guy asked if I needed a spot, so I did it.

I am planning to swim in the morning, and have stuff ready to run after work, but the chance of running is slim. If I run, I'll just stick to the main trails near Town Lake. maybe 4 miles at a slow pace if I can do it. I'd rather run outside though; my gait is different on a treadmill, and I think that was part of why my legs got all in a funk.

I did call and got an appt to see my massage therapist on Wed, 8am. I'm hoping that will help work out the rest of the kinks from my legs. I'm thinking of taking a break from biking for a while until the legs are better.

Submit "Monday 03/01/2010:  AM Swim & PM Gym" to Digg Submit "Monday 03/01/2010:  AM Swim & PM Gym" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday 03/01/2010:  AM Swim & PM Gym" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday 03/01/2010:  AM Swim & PM Gym" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Sounds like your legs are asking for a day off!! I hope you feel better quickly!
    never realized how animated and loud Paul is; Laura is still a great coach but without all the drama of Paul

Have you not read his postings on FB?!

Sorry the ankle problem is persisting. I wonder if the legs are in shock from adding this 3rd activity, i.e., biking. I think you may be a candidate for the compression tights they have at the running store. And the ice bath and massage are a good idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I wonder if the legs are in shock from adding this 3rd activity, i.e., biking.
    4th, running, lifting, swimming and now biking.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    4th, running, lifting, swimming and now biking.
    True, but 90%+ of my lifting is upper body. Of course even benching, I do put pressure on my legs, but certainly nothing like leg presses.

The step stuff did the trick last night, and my legs feel much better today. If they were at 50% yesterday, I'd put them around 75% today.

I really did consider somehow soaking my legs in the backyard pool last night. Seems kinda silly to waste cold water for a bath when unheated the pool is there. Heck, didn't Patrick actually go in his on New Year's Day? I think the temp is now around 50-55, which isn't horrible...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    never realized how animated and loud Paul is; Laura is still a great coach but without all the drama of Paul

Have you not read his postings on FB?!

Sorry the ankle problem is persisting. I wonder if the legs are in shock from adding this 3rd activity, i.e., biking. I think you may be a candidate for the compression tights they have at the running store. And the ice bath and massage are a good idea!
    I do have Paul as a FB friend, and usually skim his postings. He had the audacity to declare war on me (twice) on Mafia Wars....but I beat him both times. Other than that Mafia game, and my Twitter-linked Garmin posts, I hardly even use FB much though.

I trace these latest leg woes to my South Mountain ride 2 weeks ago. Going from minimal hills to that, at the speed I did, wasn't too wise. Running that night, again at a decent clip, and continuing on schedule, only made things worse.

Runner's World has an excellent story in the March issue on injuries....preventing, signs of one coming, and dealing with them. I've decided I probably will run tonight, but stick to flat areas, and not worry about time or distance. If I have or want to walk, that's fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Runner's World has an excellent story in the March issue on injuries....preventing, signs of one coming, and dealing with them. I've decided I probably will run tonight, but stick to flat areas, and not worry about time or distance. If I have or want to walk, that's fine.
    I suggest taking the evening off, carbo loading and getting a good night sleep.

16% seems high for you. Are you near six pack land? My 3.5 pack looks like Big Noodler's, so I have girly abs right now. Tanita is spouting off that I am around 10% (low 8.8, high 11.2) the last 2 weeks.