View RSS Feed

My non-workout blog and random thoughts

Long Course!

Rate this Entry
The NMSU Natatorium outdoor pool was reorganized over this weekend to long course. It was really wonderful to swim the full length of the 50 meter pool.

Although I take some pride in my turns and push offs, I really enjoy swimming without having to turn so often. The feeling of taking stroke after stroke in a long course pool is absolutely wonderful. I enjoy the beauty of the morning, the coolness of the water, the many, many shades of blue in the pool as well as the view of the sky and occasional bird (a benefit of swimming backstroke).

It takes me about 8-10 strokes per length (backstroke and freestyle) in a 25 yard pool - swimming at a moderate pace. Now that the pool has been converted, I take around 25-26 strokes per 50 meters swimming at a moderate level of effort. While I know that "distance-per-stroke" is important, I have never been able to increase my speed and maintain the same stroke count. In order to swim faster my turnover rate dramatically increases. Perhaps a real coach could help me in this area.

Besides the sense of peace that comes with swimming in a 50 meter pool, I believe that you get stronger and gain a psychological edge when you return to race in a 25 yard pool.

Atlanta note: made my hotel reservation; need to enter the meet and make travel arrangements. I'm very hope to have the opportunity to swim fast at this meet. It is the last chance to use the "cheater" suits!

BTW, my personal feeling is that the suits should not be banned at any level of competition. IMHO the suits are analogous to advances in pool design and lane-line technology. My first (and only) high school race was in a pool with no gutters and ropes for lane lines. There were no turn guides on the pool walls or "black lines" on the bottom of the pool. It was just a cement tank retrofitted for a swim meet. No swimming purists have advocated for a return to such pools. I view the advance in swim suit materials to be similar to that of pool, starting block and lane line technologies.

Submit "Long Course!" to Digg Submit "Long Course!" to del.icio.us Submit "Long Course!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Long Course!" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments