View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Crazy crowded workout with team

Rate this Entry
This morning I worked out with my team. Pool temps are back to normal, but we were super crowded—6 per lane, and it would have been more had I stayed in my usual lane (no one else was willing to move down). I started out the workout in a fussy mood—I like having space around me when I swim, but that was not an option today--but I ended up getting in a decent workout, and was happier when I got out. Here’s what we did:

400 scy warmup

8 x 50 swim/kick @ 1:05: 2 of each stroke, IM order

4 x 25 FR @ :25
:30 rest
4 x 50 FR @ :45
4 x 75 FR @ 1:10
4 x 100 FR @ 1:30 [held 1:15s]
1:00 rest
4 x 200 FR @ 3:00 [held 2:35s]
[I would usually do some combo of FR and BK when leading a slower lane on a set like this, so as not to lap anyone, but there was one other swimmer about the same speed as me who was going behind me, so that didn’t work. The last swimmer in the lane was being hyper-polite and/or nervous and stopping if we were anywhere near on the 200s to let us pass, which made me feel bad for him. I encouraged him not to stop (he could make the interval, but just barely, and not if he stopped for us), and told him that I would switch to BK or do a broken 200 if I caught up to him. (Passing on the straightaway would also have been an option, but that can freak people out on this team. I generally figure when I’m leading a lane that if there are passing issues, I have more options than the swimmer at the end of the lane who is struggling to make the interval, and so should assume more of the responsibility for making it possible for us to both get in a good workout). As it turned out, this last swimmer then ended up going super fast on the 200s where he didn’t stop, so there wasn’t even a question of lapping him!]

50 easy

Stroke set—twice through, 1st time BK, 2nd time BR
4 x 25 @ :30
4 x 50 @ 1:05
4 x 75 @ 1:25
1:00 rest

4 x 50 warmdown @ 1:00

Today’s crowding issues were due to one of our pools being closed—we usually have 2 Tuesday morning workouts, today just 1 with double the swimmers! I was glad I ended up with lane mates this morning who were all good sports about being sardined into the pool, and glad that I was able to get in some decent work. I definitely look forward to next week, when all our pools are back in action.

Submit "Crazy crowded workout with team" to Digg Submit "Crazy crowded workout with team" to del.icio.us Submit "Crazy crowded workout with team" to StumbleUpon Submit "Crazy crowded workout with team" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

crazy crowded sounds awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    crazy crowded sounds awful.
    Yep, it's definitely not my fave experience. At least it will spur me to go back up to Riverbank (way less convenient, but LCM, and almost always less crowded) for my Thursday morning workout this week!