View RSS Feed

Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton

Don't think about the cold, think about the fun!

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Q & A with Jim Thornton

--by Jim Thornton

Q. Hi, Jim. Would you like to say hello to our audience?

A. Hello to you, Jim, along with our fellow masters swimmers, RSS feed subscribers, the CBS viewing audience, and my good friend Mr. Martin Scorcese.

Q. So, your output lately has really been astonishing. I can't believe you are posting more, so soon! People sometimes ask me, Jim, do you have a life?

A. Excellent question! I do have a life, but it has been on hiatus for quite a while now. At the risk of overloading you with vlog material, and perchance exhausting your appetite for all things Jim and Jim-like, as if such might be remotely possible!, I am nevertheless adding the latest swimming-related video made entirely by my DNA. That is to say, by John.

Q. John? Refresh my memory here.

A. Those who have been thrilled by "John is Real, Really" recently know that John, my identical twin brother, likes to make movies. Today's vlog is on a subject that many masters swimmers have either A) participated in personally, B) considered participating in but have heretofore postponed the actual impulse to the future, or C) find this quaint hibernal passtime an embarrassment for our great sport of swimming.

Q. Surely, you're not bringing up those Palin girls again?

A. Of course not! I refer, of course, to the Polar Bear swim concept, wherein a bunch of tubs o' lard like me and John partially denude ourselves and go into some incredibly frigid sources of moisture in the hopes of losing massive winter weight gain. Speaking from experience, you don't really lose any weight. But you do lose, massively, the appearance of weight from an area of the body that can easily be mistaken for midriff bulge tugged downwards by gravity.

Q. Always, those Palin girls find their way back! Okay, Jim, one last question before watching John's excellent polar bear swim film. You mentioned several blogs ago that you were going to swim the 1650 in practice. How did that go?

A. Hard! I ended up swimming an average pace of 1:14.41, give or take, for an overall 1650 time of 20:33. This was in full hair exposed mode, no body suit, no dive, and water temperature of 85 degrees.

Q. Yikes! Did Bill lap you, as expected, four times?

A. Actually, Bill almost evaded swimming it entirely, but I taunted him into it. He swam a 19:27 after I got out, and we calculated that he would have only lapped me once, though with a 5 second head start (had we been circle swimming) almost twice.

Q. How's that make you feel?

A. I am not sure yet. I am still checking various age-grading programs from programmers in the US, Finland, and the UK. When I find one that provides me some reason to celebrate, I will let you know, Jim.

Q. I have heard that Latvian age-grading is particularly lenient for 56-year-olds like you, and harsh for 38-year-olds like Bill.

A. I have "nyet" yet looked into it! But on this perfect segue, i.e., Ivan the Russian Bear slowly morphing into John the Identical Twin Polar Bear, the Thornton genes gives you today's vlog...

BORKED

Submit "Don't think about the cold, think about the fun!" to Digg Submit "Don't think about the cold, think about the fun!" to del.icio.us Submit "Don't think about the cold, think about the fun!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Don't think about the cold, think about the fun!" to Google

Updated January 3rd, 2009 at 02:35 PM by jim thornton

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Jim, once again, you crack me up! Thanks for posting your New Year's swim!
    Thanks, but it WASN'T ME!!! Truly, my twin brother John does exist. It was John doing the swim--my polar bearing comes slightly later (Feb) a beach or two down from John's house in Ocean City, in Sea Isle City!