View RSS Feed

Random Nonsense

Meaningless Drivel

Rate this Entry
LW says to me frequently: "Hey, you didn't blog today." And I respond "No , what would I blog about?" And now Aquageek has joined in. Jeez Louise indeed.

Sunday was the last time LW commented, so she must have wanted me to blog about failure. Sunday I burnt my omlette, then road the stationary bike for 90 minutes, ate a bonk breaker (pretty good) and went for a 5km swim. Sunday was my birthday, so my goal was to drink wine all day and play video games. FAIL

I am reading Championship Swimming by Sweetham right now, it is a good book, but there isn't anything congealed enough in my brain to share right now.

One change that might end up being rather critical is that I try to swim fast in exchange for a small increase in the interval. Instead of doing 1:20 base and having 5 seconds rest, I will do 1:30 base and work to have 20-25 seconds rest. Another is that I need to swim faster to swim faster

Since the meet my training in the pool and in the gym has been going very well. A roman chair (hyperextension) has been added to my home gym as well as a 75cm yoga ball and I have been working core in preparation for the Asia trip. A daily intense core workout is the plan for Asia. It looks like getting some tethered swimming in most days on the trip won't be a problem so goggles, suits, tether, bright yellow cap and tempo trainer will be taking up some valuable luggage space. One day of open water swimming is planned, which I am really excited about.

Submit "Meaningless Drivel" to Digg Submit "Meaningless Drivel" to del.icio.us Submit "Meaningless Drivel" to StumbleUpon Submit "Meaningless Drivel" to Google

Updated March 17th, 2010 at 02:44 PM by qbrain

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

LW is trying to swim vicariously through your workouts. This is most fun if you write them down and add in some sarcastic narration
    to swim fast in exchange for a small increase in the interval
    This works. As long as you don't become LH.
    What's a bonk breaker?

Is a roman chair what I'd use for leg raises at the gym? If so, it is a great investment. What all do you do with it?

How long did it take to swim 5k?
    Quote Originally Posted by Medicine Woman
    sarcastic narration
    I agree, makes for most interesting reading.

What are you planning to do with the yoga ball?

Still 90 minutes on the bike, eh? I may go on the Q weight loss plan for the summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    What's a bonk breaker?

Is a roman chair what I'd use for leg raises at the gym? If so, it is a great investment. What all do you do with it?

How long did it take to swim 5k?

Bonk breaker is an energy bar. I got it because it wasn't gluten free, aka LW was given two, 'discovered' they weren't gluten free, and I got the second.
    http://www.bonkbreaker.com/

Roman chair is for hyper extensions.

I don't know if you could use it for leg raises, but I can use my pullup bar for leg raises, so I wasn't lacking in that area.

The 5k took 90 minutes SCM. It was 100, 200, 400, 800, 1500, 800, 400, 200, 100 free on 1:30 base, then 400 IM kick with board no fins 100 ez and 2 25 shooters (just trying to kill time with the shooters or I would have done more).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I agree, makes for most interesting reading.

What are you planning to do with the yoga ball?

Still 90 minutes on the bike, eh? I may go on the Q weight loss plan for the summer.
    I have just been doing crunches and side crunches on it. I want to do the RA walk in a circle with your hands while your feet are on the ball, but I don't have enough room. Nothing interesting yet.

90 minutes on the bike is getting to be a rarity. I am on track for 12 hours this month, while I did 20 hours last month and I probably did 30-40 hours in Jan, but didn't flog Jan.

The low cal greens and protein plus high volume aerobic will probably only hurt your swimming short term. If you go the spinning route, higher tempo lower resistance is much better on the knees than the other way around.

Grilled asparagus and kabobs tonight, unless it rains... then roasted asparagus and kabobs
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    This works. As long as you don't become LH.
    I only understood short rest sets, so anything that wasn't short rest was easy, unless it was LT.

I have a lot to learn.

LH is when I don't go to the pool at all
    Wasn't planning on it in the short term. I am pondering what to do with my summer training though since I'm not going to LC Nats and have that damnable OW swim to do.

Salmon and roasted asparagus for me, but probably not until 8 or so.

The link I posted with the chick basketball star awhile ago had some good yoga ball exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I have just been doing crunches and side crunches on it. I want to do the RA walk in a circle with your hands while your feet are on the ball, but I don't have enough room. Nothing interesting yet.

90 minutes on the bike is getting to be a rarity. I am on track for 12 hours this month, while I did 20 hours last month and I probably did 30-40 hours in Jan, but didn't flog Jan.

The low cal greens and protein plus high volume aerobic will probably only hurt your swimming short term. If you go the spinning route, higher tempo lower resistance is much better on the knees than the other way around.

Grilled asparagus and kabobs tonight, unless it rains... then roasted asparagus and kabobs
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Wasn't planning on it in the short term.
    I meant that you could do it after SC Nationals and it not hurt you long term from strength loss. We are both in agreement that now is not the best time to do high levels of aerobic and low levels of calories

Hopefully I will be asleep by eight.
    Happy Belated b-day! Don't forget to do an occasion blog from Asia!
    What body of water will you swim in Asia?
    Where are you going?
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Happy Belated b-day! Don't forget to do an occasion blog from Asia!
    Thanks. I will do my best, but internet isn't going to be cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    What body of water will you swim in Asia?
    Where are you going?
    We will be on the beach in Ko Kood Thailand one day, which is in the Gulf of Siam. Swimming off the beach will be my open water day. I am not doing a race.

We are going to Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam and Hong Kong. The trip is really to see what places we actually like.
    Picture of Ko Kood beach I will hopefully be swimming laps at in the middle of April.

Sweet! no visit downunder when you're in that neck of the woods?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken of the Sea
    Sweet! no visit downunder when you're in that neck of the woods?
    Nope, Australia and NZ are worthy of their own trip, and Singapore to Sydney is still like 8 hours.
    "One change that might end up being rather critical is that I try to swim fast in exchange for a small increase in the interval. Instead of doing 1:20 base and having 5 seconds rest, I will do 1:30 base and work to have 20-25 seconds rest. Another is that I need to swim faster to swim faster."

About time you got back on the blog train, Q.

As to your quote above, I believe this is actually two types of swimming. I think if you are doing 1:20s you should go for aerobic training and multi reps. If you are going for speedier swimming, then instead of 1:30 do 2:00 and maximize your speed with fewer repeats. That 1:30 is kind of a no-man's land for both speed and aerobic. 1:30 won't give you enough rest on speed nor tax you aerobically. This is my theory and supported by a few coaches but, still, it's free advice and you get what you pay for.
    Geek,

I think 1:15 on 1:20 is EN2 and <1:10 on 1:30 is EN3 for me.