100 EZ

1 x 50 dolphin kick w/board & MF
went 23
tons of calf cramps, ouch
forgot to take magnesium (Sports Legs) before working out

100 EZ

Total: 2050

ART, 30 minutes

My doc commented that I was tight. Not surprising since I've been too tired and lazy to stretch. hehe And there was some soreness in the "fly-back" muscles. I think this is just due to the fact that I spend about 75% of my swimming in a streamline position.

He did say it was good that I laid low and didn't overdo it this week. I only hope I can overdo it next week! I'm penciling in a bikram class for the day after Albatross.

We discussed supplements again briefly in light of the "snake oil" articles from the Post. He hadn't read them, but did say that the problem with the supplements used in those studies to test disease prevention is that they are of OTC not medicinal grade strength. I wish there was more research done on the benefits or lack thereof of supplements for athletic performance. But, gee, I guess disease is more important.

Here's an article I saw about nutrition (as opposed to supplementation) for athletes: http://www.active.com/running/Articl...tm_medium=feed

I read some of the comments on this article. It seems runners are using the following for post workout recovery: Advocare, https://www.advocare.com/10015953/St...lavor=B&size=P, exFuse 7 PROformance, http://www.extractfuzion.com/shop/vi...=1&productid=4, and Body Fortress Advanced Whey Protein, http://www.substancereviews.com/supp...r-ratings.html. Looks like a couple of these have creatine in them. I didn't realize Advocare products had that ingredient ...

Jimi is pitching a story to Men's Health on PRP. http://www.treatingpain.com/diagnosi...ch-plasma.html; http://www.terumo-cvs.com/optimizing...elet_gel.shtml. As far as I know, I'm the only masters swimmer that has attempted that for shoulder repair. But, sadly, since I am a chick, men's health doesn't care about my experience ... lol. So Jimi may try to experiment on himself!

Article on Caffeine: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ee-ladies-only

Article on late night snacking: http://www.examiner.com/x-10302-Phil...-healthy-foods

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I am bored to death with feeling sickish, tired and doing dreadfully dull workouts. I'm mostly recovered, but now feeling allergy symptoms in the ENTs. I'm reverting to an Ande-ism and have resolved to just "act as if" I'm perfectly healthy and ignore all symptoms of any Jimi type malaise. So there.

I'm not looking forward to trying on my kneeskin, which I hope does, in fact, arrive tomorrow. Julie Mulie already tried hers on and was traumatized by the experience. I expect to be as well. I've always said that kneeskins were NOT the way to go!

Submit "Thursday, March 18" to Digg Submit "Thursday, March 18" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, March 18" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, March 18" to Google

Updated March 18th, 2010 at 11:59 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , ART

Comments

I think I caught your cold

Why the afraid of creatine? I don't think that is on your allergy list.
    Yuck! So sorry!

Creatine is supposed to cause major bloating. I already have that problem from gluten and don't want to make it worse. I did notice that Advocare also contains soy and casein, which I should avoid.

I was saddened today to read that even eating french fries at restaurants can be a no no because they can be cross contaminated with the oil used to make onion rings, etc. Geez.
    Updated March 18th, 2010 at 08:45 PM by The Fortress
    The Smiths tried it for awhile, and I know Laura hated it for that reason.
    The last three times I tried on a new tech suits I broke out in flop sweats and began mumbling in tongues. Just be glad you don't have certain parts to contend with in the process cause that can get interesting, and painful.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    The last three times I tried on a new tech suits I broke out in flop sweats and began mumbling in tongues. Just be glad you don't have certain parts to contend with in the process cause that can get interesting, and painful.
    Yeah , I'm well used to the sweats, especially with the Jaked the first time. Lordy!

I just read what Swoomer posted on the forums about her Nero TX. It sounds like they run smaller than the nero comp ... I'm going to have my kid try it on first as usual. hehe

I just hope it arrives on time!
    Who cares about Advocare, I figured you would only have eyes for Body Fortress. Your creatine fear makes sense.

I don't know LW's current stance on cross contamination via fry oil is. Fries have certainly been consumed before but not recently.

We did have French last weekend without problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Who cares about Advocare, I figured you would only have eyes for Body Fortress. Your creatine fear makes sense.
    I know! I loved the name! I feel vaguely like there has been some quasi copyright infringement ... But creatine + whey, no way!

My doc commented today that there will likely always be some minimal cross contamination in my house as well. And I almost popped a choc chip cookie made by Mini into my mouth without thinking ...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    My doc commented today that there will likely always be some minimal cross contamination in my house as well. And I almost popped a choc chip cookie made by Mini into my mouth without thinking ...
    If you stop baking with flour, I think the cross contamination would be almost 0. I know not to strain wheat pasta before the rice pasta unless I want to wash the strainer twice. It takes time to get used to that.

As for resisting fresh chocolate chip cookies, I don't know how to do that.
    I sometimes find it hard to resist Cheetos when I have an entire bag rubber-banded to my face.
    I'm not looking forward to trying on my kneeskin, which I hope does, in fact, arrive tomorrow. Julie Mulie already tried hers on and was traumatized by the experience. I expect to be as well. I've always said that kneeskins were NOT the way to go!
    Stupid suit. I mean, how am I supposed to wear it at a meet for a few hours if it cuts off the circulation in my legs? As if bike shorts weren't bad enough for these legs!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    If you stop baking with flour, I think the cross contamination would be almost 0. I know not to strain wheat pasta before the rice pasta unless I want to wash the strainer twice. It takes time to get used to that.

As for resisting fresh chocolate chip cookies, I don't know how to do that.
    I almost just gave in and ate one. Seriously, I'm just surrounded by gluten 24/7.

I've pretty much stopped baking these days and just buy muffins, etc. at Wegmans. I did make a gluten free banana bread the other day. Surprisingly, I didn't get one bite as Mr. Fort and FortSon downed the whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    I sometimes find it hard to resist Cheetos when I have an entire bag rubber-banded to my face.
    lmao!

That's why there are no potato chips in my house currently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Roddin
    Stupid suit. I mean, how am I supposed to wear it at a meet for a few hours if it cuts off the circulation in my legs? As if bike shorts weren't bad enough for these legs!
    That was my main argument against these darn knee skins. I use my legs to swim and prefer circulation. That's why bodysuits were just flat out better. You can tell it was some dumb FINA guys that came up with the knee skin rule.

I'm dreading putting it on. Seriously. I think I will be in full warm up gear all meet.
    I'm dreading putting it on. Seriously. I think I will be in full warm up gear all meet.
    I totally understand. And mine was SO low in the lower back, probably becuase the stupid suit was designed for a teenager without a rear. UGH! Ok, I will shut up about it now and just "wear the darn suit".