View RSS Feed

Elise's Fitness Fun

Deja vu

Rate this Entry
by , March 18th, 2010 at 09:59 PM (595 Views)
Decided to bring son to Atlanta to see the Cyclorama. Since Atlanta is a 2 hour drive from where we live, decided to make it an overnight trip. Did a little bit of a family history thing as well, pointing out to son that his great-great-grandfather was involved with the design and construction of the houses around Grant Park. Also took a little drive through my grandfather's neighborhood over near Inman Park/Little Five Points. He actually grew up across the street from Asa Candler of the Coca-Cola family.

Took him over to see Emory which is where I went to college. First time for him to see Emory. I figured it was about time as I was the third generation that went there. Walked around the campus a bit and let him take in the sights. It was a gorgeous day. Later, I got a swim in the pool.

It dawned on me that 25 years ago on the Thursday night of NCAA DIII Nationals (which is tonight), I was swimming in the very same pool. In fact, it was the night that my 200 medley relay team (I swam fly) got in the top 6 in finals and thus, we were recognized as NCAA All-Americans. I wish I could have remembered what lane we were in when we accomplished this feat, but I did swim on the end of the pool where I recall that we raced. I finished my workout around 7:40 p.m. which would have been around the time we would have been swimming 25 years ago. Weird.

For my workout, I took advantage of having normal pool temps, backstroke flags, wide lanes, and a good pool. Did a challenging backstroke set and surprisingly felt pretty good. Maybe it was a mental thing.

I seem to be struggling with my fly these days. My fly sprints were as fast as my back sprints. I have an odd feeling that my back is not getting faster, but that my fly is getting slower. Maybe there is an explanation for it all.

Warm-up: 300 easy

4 x 25 fly drill: 3 rt/3 lt on :30

Backstroke set - no rest between subsets:

4 x 50 on :45
2 x 100 on 1:30
1 x 200 on 3:00
2 x 100 on 1:30
4 x 50 on :45

100 easy

4 x 50 - 25 AFAP fly/25 easy on 2:00

100 easy

3 x 50 - 25 AFAP back/25 easy on 2:00

150 easy

2100 SCY

Submit "Deja vu" to Digg Submit "Deja vu" to del.icio.us Submit "Deja vu" to StumbleUpon Submit "Deja vu" to Google

Updated March 18th, 2010 at 10:33 PM by elise526

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Nice walk down memory lane!

Your fly will probably get faster as you keep ramping up the strength training. It seems to be the stroke most effected by this.
    Have to say that the trip has been pretty cool, including the trip to the local Dunkin Donuts.

Hope you are right about my fly. I'm trying to hit the weights hard again.