View RSS Feed

Elise's Fitness Fun

Thursday, March 25

Rate this Entry
by , March 25th, 2010 at 08:48 PM (425 Views)
Yesterday, took the 7 month old puppy out on the cotton fields and did a 3 mile walk with a few run sprints of 100 yards or so thrown in. The pup slept well last night!

Today, went to the older kids' workout. We did a ton of different fly and free drills of different distances, so I can't even remember all we did. All I can remember is that I got in about 3200.

There was one set we did which made me realize I need to add in a little more running - 10 x 50 flutter kick on :55 (no fins). My flutter kick always feels better when I've been running more often. I think it has something to do with the body comp and more lean muscle in my legs.

On the forum there has been a thread going about running as cross-training for swimming. I mainly run because I like it and like to enter 5ks every once in a while. I can't say I use it to cross-train for swimming. I just like to do both.

I don't think lots of long distance running will help swimming, especially the sprints. As my fitness/weights guru friend has told me, distance running tears the legs down instead of building them up. rtodd on the forum mentioned 100s, 200s, and 400s. I like these as I think they keep the nerves in my legs sharp.

I also think like pwb said in that these running sprints are good for working on explosiveness. Fort suggested squats and jumps as helping explosiveness instead of track work. I agree that these things are great as well. I don't use squats for power due to some lower back issues. I mainly do the squat exercise with the bar or maybe some really light weights as rehab for my lower back. If I could, I definitely would do them. The jumps are fun, but I find them more jarring on my knees than running sprints. Also, I like to get out of the weight room and outside on the track. It is just a personal preference for me.

In the end, I'm having fun doing both and for me, that's where it's at.

Submit "Thursday, March 25" to Digg Submit "Thursday, March 25" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, March 25" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, March 25" to Google

Updated March 25th, 2010 at 09:22 PM by elise526

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments