View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Friday, March 26

Rate this Entry
I threw in the white towel today. Between attending Sectionals, driving 4+ hours and then being caught in a wicked traffic jam, I'm taking today off instead of tomorrow. I may throw in the P90X stretch DVD in a few minutes. I'm pretty sore from my new exercises from yesterday.

Speedo Sectionals was an expensive meet for me. Mini stayed at a hotel last night with her friend. She frantically texted and called me this morning while I was running around saying she forgot her back up FSII tank and that the the nascent hole in her LZR Elite kneeskin had become a real one. The tank was centuries old, and I couldn't find it. So I sped to the pool, parked illegally, and ran in to buy her a new suit 30 minutes before she was scheduled to swim.

Rant Warning: I effen hate the new suits and the new suit rules. They are crap. They stretch out immediately and are prone to ripping because they're so fragile. Mini's first suit lasted 2-3 meets (only 6-7 events) before tearing and stretching out over 3 inches. (It was huge compared to my, now stolen, B70.) Even the guy who sold it to me said they stretch out immediately. Ugh. 2 LZR Elites + 1 stolen B70 represents $1050 + taxes and mailing fees. Oh joy. Maybe now the purists will realize rubber suits were, in fact, more economical. I still have an ancient B70. Oh, and I got a parking ticket. Rant off.

Suit composition at the meet for women: 98% in the LZR Elite, 1% in B70 Nero TX and 1% in tanks (mostly evilstrokers). I expected to see more B70s. Why aren't the USS kids wearing the B70?! I thought they were selling like hotcakes ...

Tomorrow is FortSon's first regatta of the season. Then, I will be forced to brave the county rec center pool, which is always packed on weekends.

Good luck to those of you at NE Champs! I already heard Stud PB'd his 50 free.

Article:

Train your age:

http://running.competitor.com/2010/0...-your-age_9141.

Seems like this could easily apply to swimming as well.

Diet/Nutrition:

http://www.active.com/fitness/Articl...tm_medium=feed

http://ow.ly/1qPaY

Supplements (athlete blog):

http://www.elasticsteel.net/ProductD...ntsDescription

It was the norovirus!

http://collegeswimming.com/news/2010...its-norovirus/

Submit "Friday, March 26" to Digg Submit "Friday, March 26" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday, March 26" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday, March 26" to Google

Updated March 26th, 2010 at 08:07 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Sorry for the rough day. It's too bad that Speedo continues to make so much money. I thought the whole idea behind the ban was that suits weren't supposed to be a factor in performance anymore...

Interesting about the norovirus, too. What a bummer.
    Thanks for posting the article about training your age. This will be a reminder to me to not blow it out with speed at the track. I think if I even tried running real sprints like rtodd mentioned on the thread, I would end up on crutches.

I may punt the running in favor of the bike because that is a better way to do sprints without banging the joints. I've also heard it goes better with swimming than running does.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    I thought the whole idea behind the ban was that suits weren't supposed to be a factor in performance anymore...
    The kneeskins are water resistant and create compression. They are just less performance enhancing than the so called "rubber" bodysuits. Oh, that is until they stretch out ASAP, causing you to have to plunk down another $375 air a skimpy knee skin. Just a great deal!
    Updated March 26th, 2010 at 11:08 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Thanks for posting the article about training your age. This will be a reminder to me to not blow it out with speed at the track. I think if I even tried running real sprints like rtodd mentioned on the thread, I would end up on crutches.

I may punt the running in favor of the bike because that is a better way to do sprints without banging the joints. I've also heard it goes better with swimming than running does.
    That's the reason I'm leery of real track workouts. I can easily see a season ending knee blow out or a pulled hamstring. No thanks!

And I agree that rowing or cycling are maybe/probably better for swimming.
    RANT WARNING!!!
    The fastskins/lazrs are a total racket. When it comes to teenagers, its all about context and perspective, a constant battle to lower expectations. MicroJaeger has developed into a sprint phenom, making finals at State in 50- and 100 free by a few tenths in front of his buddies who swim year round (that is, not going out for football and breaking clavicles like my kid), and he's begging for fastskins, and all I'm ponying up for is AQUABLADE (I kid you not, I'm just a neandrathal parent) but after all, he's just 14 and this is not nationals or sectionals or whatever, I just shrug and go back to my chaotic life, and I'm just terrified he's going to amount to something and I'll end up with a $1000 summer season like you I'M NOT A RADIOLOGIST FOR GOD'SAKE JUST AN INTERNIST. Rant over.

BTW my permanent memory of erging is twofold. First, while driving rowing club members to regattas, all the kids agreeing "The only people who like erging are people who don't pull hard". Second, I did a master's erg competition for erging one winter, the Minnesota Indoor Power Pull, pitted up against master's rowers. I pulled about 7 minutes 10 seconds for a 2K and thought I would vomit. This is not my idea of fun. You have to be largely masochistic to enjoy erging, IMHO.
    That's awesome about microjaeger! Kids who don't train swimming full time as swimmers can have success as sprinters. There's a football playing kid like that on Mini's high school team.

I think there's probably not a tremendous difference between aquablade jammers and speedo fastskin jammers, maybe a few tenths. Jimi thinks coverage is more important than textiles. Mini is only a freshman, but there is no one wearing aquablades at Sectionals. High school swim meets are nice because everyone just wears poly tanks for all the dual meets.

Pulling 7:10 is very impressive! I bet you did want to puke. I'm looking at ierging as possible moderate aerobic work. I seem to like that more out of the pool than in the pool. Whenever someone tells me to train distance or do tons of hard aerobic work in the pool, I get nightmarish thoughts about my age group years. Don't want to go there.
    I think erging is a good alternative for an aerobic base, just don't let anyone talk you into competing. There is an aesthetic to rowing that I really enjoy, but as you know very well, it is supported by some incredibly hard work.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaegermeister
    You have to be largely masochistic to enjoy erging, IMHO.
    Some people like bondage, some people like training. Fort is a good candidate for liking the erg.
    I liked the article on age training. But, here's my problem, I love working out and if I only trained race specific, I'd lose out on a lot of training time. I understand the point he's making. I take the approach that if I'm not swimming at race pace, I'm swimming intentionally by working on some aspect of my stroke.

The whole suit thing seems to be vastly worse than it was when it was allegedly out of control. I don't even know what to make of it. Our club team limits 11/12s to aquablades for season ending championship meets. I bought one for #1 last week and she was in heaven with it. But, it was $49 and only gives marginal improvements, if any. I'm not excited about spending what you have in the next 7 years on crappy single meet suits.

I suspect USA Swimming will hear about the suits, which will, in turn, begin the next round of suit shenanigans.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaegermeister
    I think erging is a good alternative for an aerobic base, just don't let anyone talk you into competing. There is an aesthetic to rowing that I really enjoy, but as you know very well, it is supported by some incredibly hard work.
    haha. No chance of that. The competition schedule for my family is already daunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Some people like bondage, some people like training. Fort is a good candidate for liking the erg.
    And I did absolutely nothing all day!
    Updated March 27th, 2010 at 01:51 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    I liked the article on age training. But, here's my problem, I love working out and if I only trained race specific, I'd lose out on a lot of training time. I understand the point he's making. I take the approach that if I'm not swimming at race pace, I'm swimming intentionally by working on some aspect of my stroke.

The whole suit thing seems to be vastly worse than it was when it was allegedly out of control. I don't even know what to make of it. Our club team limits 11/12s to aquablades for season ending championship meets. I bought one for #1 last week and she was in heaven with it. But, it was $49 and only gives marginal improvements, if any. I'm not excited about spending what you have in the next 7 years on crappy single meet suits.

I suspect USA Swimming will hear about the suits, which will, in turn, begin the next round of suit shenanigans.
    I'm in the same boat. I love to train an it's difficult for me to be too race specific. I think the point about eliminating junk workouts or junk miles is good though. But there is, as you note, definite value in stroke work and recovery swimming. I embrace this concept now more than I used to.

It's nice that your team has that rule for 11-12s. I remember Mini loved her first aquablade too. I think she was 10. You just won't see those at the big deal meets. I think the return to the paper suit is just a bad development. But it seems to be working out big time for Speedo.

Elise, I made a running comeback after 12 months off because I was asked to run in the Millrose games. I got a meniscus tear during training. It was small and resolved itself, but it could have been alot worse. I also got a sports hernia (tearing of the muscle attached to the pubic bone). These don't really go away. I also got acute achillies tendonitis. It healed in four weeks, but it could have easily torn. You need to work up gradually at the track, it is much more injury sensitive than swimming.