View RSS Feed

Elise's Fitness Fun

Playing it safe

Rate this Entry
by , March 27th, 2010 at 05:28 PM (813 Views)
I thought about running, cross-training, and swimming after reading the thread on the forum. Also thought about Fort's wise words in a comment on her blog that going all out on run sprints could result in a season-ending knee injury or hamstring pull. Between now and Nationals, I think I'll be very careful with my running.

All-out running sprints or sets like 8 x 200 or 6 x 400 are out until Nationals. I only have 8 weeks and six of those will need to be hard swim training. Two will need to be taper weeks. Still, I would like to do a little bit of running for body comp purposes only. As the studies have shown, the lower the body fat, the better it is for sprinting. I'm not looking to ultra-thin. Just want to be 3 pounds lighter and more lean on race day. I think I'll stick with what I have been doing except make my sprints on the field simply strides. I guess my HITT workouts are probably more like fartlek workouts and I'll probably do those here and there. I'm not truly sprinting all out to make it "high intensity." I think sprinting all-out on the treadmill is dangerous as a wipeout a few years ago proved.

Did get a quick swim in today. Took it pretty easy as tomorrow, I'll be doing a 5800+ yard swim to celebrate a team member's 58th birthday. Today was short one - just 2,000 yards.

Here is the workout:

400 easy to warm-up

4 x 50 back drill - 25 rt/25 lt on 1:15

4 x 50 fly drill - First two 50s are underwater fly pull (no over-the-water recovery) with pull buoy on, second two 50s were full-stroke fly with pull-buoy

4 x 75 - all free, 50 free/25 fly, 25 free/50 fly, 75 fly on 1:30

4 x 75 - all free, 50 free/25 back, 25 free/50 back, 75 back

4 x 100 flutter kick with fins on 1:30

4 x 25 back kick with fins on :20

100 easy

2000 SCY

Submit "Playing it safe" to Digg Submit "Playing it safe" to del.icio.us Submit "Playing it safe" to StumbleUpon Submit "Playing it safe" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

What better time to play it safe than before Nats? Although there's so much other crap that can happen, you still have to live your life.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    What better time to play it safe than before Nats? Although there's so much other crap that can happen, you still have to live your life.
    My reckless, youthful ways are finally giving way to reason. Never thought it would happen.