View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Sat., March 27

Rate this Entry
Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

10 x 25 UW shooters w/MF
last 2 fast

50 EZ

Speed Work:

8 x (25 AFAP + 50 EZ) @ 2:30 (or so, didn't keep track)
2 of each stroke

50 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP w/MF, went :20
had a leaky goggle and went crooked a bit

100 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP evil w/MF, went 27.5 ish

100 EZ

Total: 1850

Hot Yoga, 90 minutes:

I decided to go to yoga right after swimming to stretch out some of my muscle soreness. And I feel great now. However, I apparently have to find a time besides Sat. at 4:00 pm to go b/c the same jerk was teaching the class today. I find him, and his voice, incredibly annoying. He just raked a newcomer over the coals.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

The speed work felt a little better today. I kept the yardage down and just sprinted b/c I was due for such a workout and I am hoping to go to my team practice tomorrow. Edit: Crap!!! My team practice is in the diving well b/c there's a meet tomorrow. Doesn't do me a damn bit of good in terms of working on starts. I will probably sleep in and do my own workout to avoid the hassle of swimming amidst noise and a swim meet.

Goggle question: Do people like dark or clear goggles best? I have trouble seeing with some of my dark speedo goggles in poorly lit pools.

I spent the late morning/early afternoon at the Polar Bear Regatta. The weather was actually fairly ideal -- sunny and about 50. FortSon's lightweight 8 hadn't been having a good week of practice. But they did well today, winning the lightweight race, beating last year's state champs and were only beaten by 1 heavy weight boat. Happiness!

Mr. Fort went on a pretty fast 18 mile run today and is probably on the couch for the night. He seems to have succeeded -- finally -- in rehabbing his hammie and hip substantially. He is planning a marathon in May. He's in pretty amazing shape from all his running, cycling, lifting and core work at the moment.

Recap of day 1 of NCAAs:

http://www.swimnetwork.com/News/Swim...y-1-Recap.aspx

Kettleball Training:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/03...round.html#tvg

Suspension Push Up Variations:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcAhcNK7o-Q"]YouTube- Suspension Push Ups Variations Push and Curl[/ame]

Submit "Sat., March 27" to Digg Submit "Sat., March 27" to del.icio.us Submit "Sat., March 27" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sat., March 27" to Google

Updated March 27th, 2010 at 10:26 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Yoga

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. aquageek's Avatar
    I wear lighter or clear goggles. Dark doesn't work well inside, or mirrored, for that matter.
  2. quicksilver's Avatar
    Some age group coaches insist that their kids not wear dark goggles.
    They say that the lighter ones keeps them alert and aware of their surroundings.


    Being that we have a very sun lit pool, most people at our place wear dark or mirrored goggles, especially for doing backstroke.
  3. qbrain's Avatar
    I stopped wearing smoked swedes indoor the first meet I showed up to and couldn't see. I couldn't see during warm up, and had to get out and buy googles. Practicality beat coolness that day
  4. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    I wear lighter or clear goggles. Dark doesn't work well inside, or mirrored, for that matter.
    what kind are you wearing, Geek? I'm thinking of switching from my speed sockets for meets. It seems like the vast majority of competition goggles are dark or mirrored or both.
  5. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I stopped wearing smoked swedes indoor the first meet I showed up to and couldn't see. I couldn't see during warm up, and had to get out and buy googles. Practicality beat coolness that day
    I think the dark goggles may be contributing somwewhat to my difficulty in seeing the wall. I can't seem to wear swedes though.
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    Some age group coaches insist that their kids not wear dark goggles.
    They say that the lighter ones keeps them alert and aware of their surroundings.


    Being that we have a very sun lit pool, most people at our place wear dark or mirrored goggles, especially for doing backstroke.
    Very interesting about the coaches ...

    Maybe I depends on the pool. But I think I need some clear goggles. Although I was fine in Indy with the dark ones .... Of course, less turns there.
  7. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I think the dark goggles may be contributing somwewhat to my difficulty in seeing the wall. I can't seem to wear swedes though.
    Do they not make clear or colored goggles like the ones you already wear?

    Why can't you wear swedes? Do you just not like them? Getting them to be comfortable is a bit of effort. The part against the nose needs to be filed before wearing, and the strap needs to be barely tight enough so they seal and then they feel fine. Otherwise they are too tight until the strap stretches out.
  8. aquaFeisty's Avatar
    Funny you should mention the goggles, Fort...

    Two meets ago, the strap snapped on my clear ones as I was getting on the blocks for the 50 fly (I should take that as an omen, really). Anyways, did not get around to buying new goggles and had to swim the next meet in my mirrored speedo gcg's. TERRIBLE. My first swim was 200 free and I missed 5 turns. I switched to a circa mid-80s pair of light blue speedo sprints and those were much better. Finally made it to the swim shop today and bought a new pair of clear gcg's that I'll wear for my one-event deck entry meet tomorrow.

    Long story short, if it's indoors, I'm wearing clear goggles.
  9. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Do they not make clear or colored goggles like the ones you already wear?


    Why can't you wear swedes? Do you just not like them? Getting them to be comfortable is a bit of effort. The part against the nose needs to be filed before wearing, and the strap needs to be barely tight enough so they seal and then they feel fine. Otherwise they are too tight until the strap stretches out.
    I don't think so ... Don't recall ever seeing clear ones.

    When I've tried swedes, they've always leaked. But I haven't been that persistent. I have a smokey cool pair in the closet.
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaFeisty
    Funny you should mention the goggles, Fort...

    Two meets ago, the strap snapped on my clear ones as I was getting on the blocks for the 50 fly (I should take that as an omen, really). Anyways, did not get around to buying new goggles and had to swim the next meet in my mirrored speedo gcg's. TERRIBLE. My first swim was 200 free and I missed 5 turns. I switched to a circa mid-80s pair of light blue speedo sprints and those were much better. Finally made it to the swim shop today and bought a new pair of clear gcg's that I'll wear for my one-event deck entry meet tomorrow.

    Long story short, if it's indoors, I'm wearing clear goggles.
    I've tried those gcgs too. They're so comfortable. But I think this is part of my problem and one reason I'm turn challenged. I will be on swim outlet very soon. I have one clear pair of goggles that I've been using for practice lately. I just don't love the fit. I'm not sure I've ever really found a pair of goggles where I love the fit ... But the speed sockets at least seem to tighten well and stay put during races.
  11. pwb's Avatar
    I wear light goggles for my morning swims (generally in the dark), but wear dark, mirrored goggles when racing cause I'm a badass.
  12. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    but wear dark, mirrored goggles when racing cause I'm a badass.
    But are you more of a badass than me? That's been my MO as well.

    Do you ever have trouble seeing the wall?

    I didn't see any clear goggles at NCAAs.
  13. aquageek's Avatar
    I wear swedes, they come in a zillion colors, light and dark.
  14. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    When I've tried swedes, they've always leaked.
    Did you borrow a pair to try, or build them yourself? Is your face too small for the goggles so the leak around the outer edge? If that is the case, nothing can be done.

    I think it would be worth $4 to build a pair during a meet when you have expert guidance on hand. Not for use in the meet, but you can hope in and test them in the warm up pool and see if they will work for future training.

    The girl who swims in the lane next to me was complaining about never finding goggles that don't leak. I gave her a pair and an old pair of mine so she could see how to put them together. No more leaking goggles, and now she has $4 goggles instead of $30 goggles. It is nice to be able to buy a dozen pair at a time.
  15. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    Some age group coaches insist that their kids not wear dark goggles.
    They say that the lighter ones keeps them alert and aware of their surroundings.
    This is why I like dark goggles. I want to be focused on swimming, not my surroundings. I generally prefer the dark, though: blinds closed in my office, shades down in my room, lights off all the time...

    Also, swedes suck.
  16. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Did you borrow a pair to try, or build them yourself? Is your face too small for the goggles so the leak around the outer edge? If that is the case, nothing can be done.

    I think it would be worth $4 to build a pair during a meet when you have expert guidance on hand. Not for use in the meet, but you can hope in and test them in the warm up pool and see if they will work for future training.

    The girl who swims in the lane next to me was complaining about never finding goggles that don't leak. I gave her a pair and an old pair of mine so she could see how to put them together. No more leaking goggles, and now she has $4 goggles instead of $30 goggles. It is nice to be able to buy a dozen pair at a time.
    I just bought a pair and tried them on. Wasn't sure how to "build" a pair. Maybe you can build a pair for me in Atlanta!

    Once at a swim store, I was told to try junior goggles. I had one pair that did fit pretty well. But I looked like a dork.
  17. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    This is why I like dark goggles. I want to be focused on swimming, not my surroundings. I generally prefer the dark, though: blinds closed in my office, shades down in my room, lights off all the time...

    Also, swedes suck.
    Lights off all the time?! How do you read? I love the dark as well, but I also love a well lit room.
  18. aztimm's Avatar
    Great news for your husband. He has just what, 2 more long runs before his taper? He's more of a 5-mile a run daily person though, isn't he?

    As for goggles, I found some back when I was still in the Army (I think at the PX) that worked, and still wear them....TYR Racetech. The come in clear, multiple smoke versions, and metal. I keep at least 2-3 in my bag, and go between the different versions throughout the year. In the winter I'll usually wear clear, then smoke in spring/fall, and metal in summer. But then again, my swimming is all outside.

    The best thing I like about them is that they are fully adjustable, both straps and nosebridge. You can usually find the clear version at Swimoutlet for $8-10, but the metal are closer to $15. I'd guess they last me 4-5 months; I go through maybe 4 sets a year.
  19. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Great news for your husband. He has just what, 2 more long runs before his taper? He's more of a 5-mile a run daily person though, isn't he?

    As for goggles, I found some back when I was still in the Army (I think at the PX) that worked, and still wear them....TYR Racetech. The come in clear, multiple smoke versions, and metal. I keep at least 2-3 in my bag, and go between the different versions throughout the year. In the winter I'll usually wear clear, then smoke in spring/fall, and metal in summer. But then again, my swimming is all outside.

    The best thing I like about them is that they are fully adjustable, both straps and nosebridge. You can usually find the clear version at Swimoutlet for $8-10, but the metal are closer to $15. I'd guess they last me 4-5 months; I go through maybe 4 sets a year.
    Thanks Tim! I'll check those out.

    Mr. Fort used to be a 5 mile a day runner. Then he found a training partner and started competing again and training more, especially on the weekends. He was injured for awhile and mostly biked, but he's been back to running for while gradually ramping it up. He actually did his very first speed workout ever on the track last week. But, he runs for pleasure mostly. Though he would like to do Boston with his running partner. Next year!
  20. aquageek's Avatar
    The TYR socket rockets and a kiefer house brand swedes don't require the building string thing, they use a rubber band as the nose bridge. When it wears out I just cut up a bit of goggle band and repair it. They also have a small silicone or rubber gasket and are incapable of leaking.

    The thing with swedes is they do require two weeks of suffering to get accustomed to them. After your penance period, you will want no others, unless you are Jazz and feel the need to overspend on goggles just to try to look cool.

    http://www.kiefer.com/ProductDetails...BS-SR&CTitle=&

    I wore TYR Racetechs for a while but the gasket gets gummy and gross. You can't wear out swedes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast