View RSS Feed

Random Nonsense

Asia Itinerary

Rate this Entry
No swimming this morning. I have been having trouble catching up on sleep since I came down with the cold last week, so I slept in this morning. Turns out that was a great decision, LW said the pool was drained at Lifetime, and it wouldn't be filled and back up to temperature for a few days.

April 7th Leave DFW for Singapore. The flights connect in San Francisco and Hong Kong on the way. The flight from San Francisco to Hong Kong is over 14 hours.
April 8th around midnight, arrive in Singapore.

April 9th explore Singapore on our own. Singapore is a very modern country, English is the primary language and is known for its high quality cheap street food. A day of eating and shopping.

April 10th spend the morning exploring Singapore, then get on the boat after lunch. We are taking a cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong on a “western” cruise line. English speaking staff and familiar food. The ship only holds 208 passengers, so it is pretty small.

April 11th and 12th cruising to Thailand. This is where we plan to catch up on sleep lost from flying to Singapore.

April 13th Arrive in Bangkok Thailand. Today’s agenda include watching Thai kick boxing at one of the large kick boxing stadiums, shopping and eating.

April 14th Time to get some culture. Today will be spent touring temples. Thailand is predominately Buddhist.

April 15th Beach party on an island off the coast of Thailand. I will be swimming off the beach before enjoying whatever is being barbecued on the beach.

April 16th Cruise to Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam.

April 17th Ho Chi Minch City dinner at a previous governors mansion.

April 18th A trip of the Mekong to see the floating markets. I will have bug spray.

April 19th Cruise to Da Nang Vietnam.

April 20th Da Nang – Nothing planned.

April 21st Cruise to Hanoi We don’t dock until 6pm, so probably nothing today

April 22nd Kayaking Halong Bay. Halong Bay is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

April 23rd Cruise to Hong Kong

April 24th Leave the safety of the ship and tour Hong Kong.

April 25th Fly home, Hong Kong to Tokyo, Tokyo to LA, LA to Dallas. We leave at 8am and arrive home at 8pm by the magic of the international dateline, but we will be in a plane for about 20 hours.

Submit "Asia Itinerary" to Digg Submit "Asia Itinerary" to del.icio.us Submit "Asia Itinerary" to StumbleUpon Submit "Asia Itinerary" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Looks cool and I'm jealous. Did you arrange this all yourselves or are you with some kind of cruise package?
    that looks like an awesome vacation.
    Fantastic! Don't go checking if there are pick-up matches during the kickboxing, Qbruise.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    that looks like an awesome vacation.
    plus 1!
    Patrick, The 14 day cruise hit all of our interests in SE Asia, so that became the core of the trip. A travel agent booked the cruise and was provided requirements for hotels in Singapore and Hong Kong as well as tours in Bangkok and Hong Kong. Singapore is our design, mainly because it is English speaking and more first world than the US. Where there was a specific interest, we hired a private guide, and for main attractions, we are just taking the cruise tours. This is a research trip, to see where we would like to spend more time and to find out how much we like Singapore.

Thanks Geek. It will be fun no doubt.

Hey Speedo, very funny. The heaviest weight class is 154 lbs so I would really like to get some photos with some of the fighters. I will look like a giant at <170, but I know better than to get into fights with the locals.
    <170
    Really?!! You are now officially to be known as q tip.

Hopefully the vacation will assist with your anorexia.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver

Just because you were worried, I drank a big glass of water and ate a protein bar and hopped on the scale. 170.0 and 6.0% body fat.

Here is a current picture. I think I am looking pretty good.

Sounds like a good trip in the making. Hope everything works out along the way. At some point you have to just trust you did all you could--and enjoy yourself!

Some feedback I got after my Euro trip last year--everyone liked the little blurbs I posted on Facebook. I tried to put the highlights every day or 2. Some people told me they felt like they were traveling with me. On my blog here I just really posted when I got in something workout-wise, and included a little bit about the trip too. I still need to sort thru pictures....

I spent I think 2 or 3 nights in Bangkok on my way back to Korea from Australia (went down for a month while I was stationed in Korea). I saw a bunch of Buddah statues, a palace, some snake show, ate a traditional Thai dinner, but the whole thing is just a blur. Oh and I remember going in a small boat on a disgusting river.

You mean manorexia!
    I think I am looking pretty good.
    There appear to be a few missing ribs. Two weeks of Thai food should have you down to Paris Hilton weight in no time.

Is this all part of the plan to beat the Wolf Hulk?

BTW...the Fastskin goes over the bones, not under.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    ... This is a research trip, to see where we would like to spend more time and to find out how much we like Singapore...
    Do you have grander plans for Singapore? I once explored (not deeply) a job that was originally based in Australia but then moved to Singapore; it seems like the hub to be in for Pan-Pacific work if you're not quite willing to move to someplace like Shanghai or another Chinese city.
    There appear to be a few missing ribs.
    I ate those.

Two weeks of Thai food should have you down to Paris Hilton weight in no time.
    You must not like Thai food. I expect to look like Dom Deluise when I get back

Is this all part of the plan to beat the Wolf Hulk?
    No, that plan involves swimming.

BTW...the Fastskin goes over the bones, not under.
    DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Do you have grander plans for Singapore? I once explored (not deeply) a job that was originally based in Australia but then moved to Singapore; it seems like the hub to be in for Pan-Pacific work if you're not quite willing to move to someplace like Shanghai or another Chinese city.
    Without having been there, I have considered moving there

Working in software engineering doesn't really make for interesting expat opportunities.
    Tom, You are not funny, just so you know.

Tim,

I think I can manage to enjoy myself.

I have a lot of family who aren't facebooker's but can manage to open a webpage, so I will probably blog somewhere else and link to it from here providing me with more formatting options. I don't really "get" facebook. It seems like a horrible form of communication unless you are on it 100% of the time.

Ah Bangkok. I am not surprised that it is just a blur to you, it is known for making hard men crumble after all.
    You must not like Thai food. I expect to look like Dom Deluise when I get back
    Thai food is excellent.

I lived in both Hong Kong and Singapore as a child and was exposed to a very unique range of cuisine at an early age.
    American food is quite bland by comparison, and that might explain your dramatic weight loss.

Have a most enjoyable adventure!
    Have a great trip Q! I'll be looking forward to hearing about your adventures!
    I lived in both Hong Kong and Singapore as a child and was exposed to a very unique range of cuisine at an early age.
    I am so excited about the hawker centers and Hong Kong will be an experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Have a great trip Q! I'll be looking forward to hearing about your adventures!
    Thanks Bobinator!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I am so excited about the hawker centers and Hong Kong will be an experience.
    The fore runners to food courts...only that they're gourmet.

You had better wear some stretchy pants.