View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Bummer, April 6

Rate this Entry
Pouting First:

My meet this weekend is apparently cancelled for insufficient attendance. Oddly, it doesn't indicate this on the PV masters website and I didn't receive an email to that effect. I found out on FB from other swimmers who were notified. WTF? Did my entry form get lost in the mail again?! Really bummed about this as I was hoping to get some much needed start practice and speed work as well as times in a couple events. 2010 has been a tad disappointing so far. The Richmond meet was marred by blizzards and cramps. The Albatross meet was marred by the flu and a stolen suit. Now this meet is cancelled. I think this may be the first year I don't have a tapered time in the 50 free. And I was hoping for a re-do of another event. Crap. I also may change my Zones events in light of this.

Swim @ Oak Marr w/Speedo:

At least I had a workout buddy today! Speedo and I tried out a Rich Abrahams set. It was definitely more speed work than a true lactate set, though my legs were burning by the end. The 3 x 100 AFAP set is far worse.

Warm up:

800 various

Transition Set:

10 x 50 @ 1:00
odds = swim
evens = backstroke kick

I didn't feel so great on these. I was sore and felt like I was moving through jello a bit.

Speed Set:

4 x broken 100s @ 9:00, done as follows:

1 x 50 swim AFAP @ 1:00
1 x 25 swim AFAP @ :30
1 x 25 kick AFAP @ :30

200 EZ after each

I did mine with fins, as I am wont to do with speed work. I think I should have been slightly faster on these. However, given that I am sore and tight, the times weren't too bad. #2 was the best and #4 was the worst and hurt the most. My legs gave out on the last 25 kick.

#1 = back
25 + 12 + 12 = 49

#2 = back
24 + high 11 + 12 = high 47

#3 = breast
30 + 15 + 15 (swam this) = 1:00

#4 = fly
24 + 12 + 12 = 48

I was gasping and panting a lot more than Speedo on these. I think he was loafing.

Total: 2500

Massage:

Had a massage today to help ease soreness and prep for the now cancelled meet. Oh, well, I really needed it. She said I was tighter than usual. I guess with the intensity of my workouts, I need to stretch for a period of time every day and not just rely on periodic yoga to keep me loose. Now, I am off to mull over my Zones entries and re-decide what to swim. Since the 100 IM is my 6th event for Nats (and could be cancelled since I refuse to time ), I'll have to stick with that one.

I'm going off the wagon and having a glass or two of chard tonight. I can't tell any damn difference anyway!

Some ab exercises:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU5BE8opXTA"]YouTube- Six Pack Abs Great Abs Exercise "Exercises Abdominals"[/nomedia]

Submit "Bummer, April 6" to Digg Submit "Bummer, April 6" to del.icio.us Submit "Bummer, April 6" to StumbleUpon Submit "Bummer, April 6" to Google

Updated April 7th, 2010 at 12:06 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Test Sets

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All Dixie Zone meets are on schedule!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

There is a meet May 1 and 2 in Hillsborough, NC which is fairly close to the VA border you might want to consider.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    All Dixie Zone meets are on schedule!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

There is a meet May 1 and 2 in Hillsborough, NC which is fairly close to the VA border you might want to consider.
    Hahaha.

Well, it appears the one Dixie Zones meet I will attend is my only hopes of salvaging SCY 2010. I need to start getting amped for it.

I think the other meet is the weekend after Zones ... I'll be tired after my 10-12 event blow out.
    I will swim a nekked 200 back if you swim 12 events at one meet.

No, wait, I won't, already made one foolish bet with you. I realize I'm in arrears on that so might have to butter you up with gifts instead. I'm not giving Jazzdump a gift however.
    Loafing? Maybe. But not intentional. You were movin on those 100s.
    I will swim a nekked 200 back if you swim 12 events at one meet.

No, wait, I won't, already made one foolish bet with you. I realize I'm in arrears on that so might have to butter you up with gifts instead. I'm not giving Jazzdump a gift however.
    I think I swam 11 last year, including relays. Since I'm not tapering for Zones, this would NOT be a good bet for you! Muhahahaha

I'm amazed Jazz is going to Nats. He's going to really test out his theory that his 50s don't suffer much from lack of pool training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Loafing? Maybe. But not intentional. You were movin on those 100s.
    I think I've gone a little faster on 50 flys and backs ...

Well, then, we're back to you're more stoic than me. I was huffing and puffing quite a bit. I needed those recovery 200s! I can see it might be better to do 5-6 of then if you had adequate time. Although ... actually it does add up to a lot of fast swimming.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I'm amazed Jazz is going to Nats. He's going to really test out his theory that his 50s don't suffer much from lack of pool training.
    He's 14, kids have amazing abilities.
    He's 14, kids have amazing abilities.
    Plus, he's all flexy from his new found love of vinyasa flow.
    "My meet this weekend is apparently cancelled for insufficient attendance. Oddly, it doesn't indicate this on the PV masters website and I didn't receive an email to that effect. "

Still no email? Let me know...the meet director told me that she sent out emails to everyone who signed up (and sent the checks back).

Both VA and PV sites note the cancellation. We were only notified by email this morning. But I'm sure I posted the notice more quickly than Jeff did...
    Maybe go first one of your 200 free relays at Zones and get the split request, if you already didn't think of this already. Tough breaks. I have similar issues with my 400 IM. I was rested enough for my Senior Champs to do a good enough time for TT and it doesn't work for me to do at Zones. I will just focus on other events instead. Next year will be the year for your 50 free as well as all the other 50s and 100s that you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson
    "My meet this weekend is apparently cancelled for insufficient attendance. Oddly, it doesn't indicate this on the PV masters website and I didn't receive an email to that effect. "

Still no email? Let me know...the meet director told me that she sent out emails to everyone who signed up (and sent the checks back).

Both VA and PV sites note the cancellation. We were only notified by email this morning. But I'm sure I posted the notice more quickly than Jeff did...
    I still don't have an email. I am certain I mailed it out 2 days before the postmark deadline. I can only think it got lost in the mail (this has happened before) or I was inadvertently left off the list.

You and Jeff are hysterical!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Maybe go first one of your 200 free relays at Zones and get the split request, if you already didn't think of this already. Tough breaks. I have similar issues with my 400 IM. I was rested enough for my Senior Champs to do a good enough time for TT and it doesn't work for me to do at Zones. I will just focus on other events instead. Next year will be the year for your 50 free as well as all the other 50s and 100s that you do.
    I might. I did ask to lead off a mixed 200 medley relay to get a 50 back split/practice already though. I think I will just have to re-jigger my events.

Yeah, the 50 free isn't the end of the world. It just seems odd not to have gotten a good one in all year.
    Sounds like quite a set! At least you had someone to do it with. I need to slide over to Laura's side of the pool every now and then for a speed set like this.

Didn't they send out anything warning the meet could get canceled for low attendance? They've done that here a few times, and it guilts some people into registering. That happened a few years ago, I actually registered but didn't show (some people were flying in so maybe I saved the meet for them). I don't even know how many emails I've received for our upcoming state meet this weekend; from our state LMSC folks, the meet director, Paul/Laura, and even Sun Devils (I'm still on their distro list). I actually looked into it, but with my Mom visiting it just wouldn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Sounds like quite a set! At least you had someone to do it with. I need to slide over to Laura's side of the pool every now and then for a speed set like this.

Didn't they send out anything warning the meet could get canceled for low attendance? They've done that here a few times, and it guilts some people into registering. That happened a few years ago, I actually registered but didn't show (some people were flying in so maybe I saved the meet for them). I don't even know how many emails I've received for our upcoming state meet this weekend; from our state LMSC folks, the meet director, Paul/Laura, and even Sun Devils (I'm still on their distro list). I actually looked into it, but with my Mom visiting it just wouldn't work.
    No, I got no notice. And I relied on that meet in doing my Zones entries. Very annoying.

Every once in awhile a speed set is good!

It was definitely good to have Pete to do it with. Even more so on our 3 x 100 set.
    I can't seem to beat Chris at anything (inside or outside the pool)! But in my defense, I didn't get the notice of the cancellation until this morning when I opened my email at work. And I can't access the PV website from work so I made the update as soon as I got home from work. And besides, this meet isn't even in PV so why does it fall on me to have the most up to date info on VA meets?! I think having the update posted within 8 hours of the cancellation is reasonable, don't you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by jroddin
    I can't seem to beat Chris at anything (inside or outside the pool)! But in my defense, I didn't get the notice of the cancellation until this morning when I opened my email at work. And I can't access the PV website from work so I made the update as soon as I got home from work. And besides, this meet isn't even in PV so why does it fall on me to have the most up to date info on VA meets?! I think having the update posted within 8 hours of the cancellation is reasonable, don't you think?
    Definitely. Especially since everyone apparently got emails and was on full notice of the cancellation. And it is a VA job anyway.

Ironically, if it hadn't been cancelled, I would have showed up and not been entered I guess ... After having 2 entry forms lost in the mail now, I wish everyone would switch to online registration. Though I do realize it adds some cost.

I'm disappointed, but I think I can change my Zones events to compensate.
    I think the chard is a good idea tonight!
    I agree going dry doesn't help ANYTHING......except sleep!

There's a good meet in Lexington KY this week-end. It's in the U of K pool. I think it's a good one. I was going to go but with being blinded and unable to breath due to bruised mid-section I am doubting I'll make the drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    I think the chard is a good idea tonight!
    I agree going dry doesn't help ANYTHING......except sleep!

There's a good meet in Lexington KY this week-end. It's in the U of K pool. I think it's a good one. I was going to go but with being blinded and unable to breath due to bruised mid-section I am doubting I'll make the drive.
    I didn't even notice that it effected my sleep.

Judging from what happened to Q with his bruised ribs, you should take it easy for awhile. You may need some prescription eye drops to help with the pain. I've had corneal abrasions before and they are awful!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Ironically, if it hadn't been cancelled, I would have showed up and not been entered I guess ... After having 2 entry forms lost in the mail now, I wish everyone would switch to online registration. Though I do realize it adds some cost.
    Our LMSC is footing the bill for online registration for two years in an effort to induce people to use it. No interest in this case.

You should call/email the meet director to find out about your entries. She told me she is mailing back the checks this morning, and that she has emailed everybody.

As far as light attendance: the meet director blamed spring break. That may play a role, but I think it more likely that this is just a crowded time of the year. There was Albatross, the Warrenton meet, and a lightly-attended meet in Lexington...all within a month. And Zones are coming up soon too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson
    Our LMSC is footing the bill for online registration for two years in an effort to induce people to use it. No interest in this case.

You should call/email the meet director to find out about your entries. She told me she is mailing back the checks this morning, and that she has emailed everybody.

As far as light attendance: the meet director blamed spring break. That may play a role, but I think it more likely that this is just a crowded time of the year. There was Albatross, the Warrenton meet, and a lightly-attended meet in Lexington...all within a month. And Zones are coming up soon too.
    I'll email her later today. You're footing the bill and they didn't want on line reg?! It seems like it would easier for folks on both ends.

Spring break was last week here, at least in nearby Fairfax County, so that didn't interfere with the meet per se. I think you're probably right that it's a crowded time of the year. People who swam at Warrenton likely didn't need/want to swim at this meet. I hope we have another meet scheduled at the Freedom Center though. It's a really nice local facility.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast