View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Lacking Ferocity, April 7

Rate this Entry
Lacking ferocity:

I woke up today feeling battered and bruised (mentally and physically) and somewhat enervated. Perhaps Jimi disease is catching? Or, as a friend cleverly suggested, it's a "pouting hangover." I feel like the deep tissue massage really did me in this time. With 10 zillion things to do (spring is my busiest time of the year with the girls each adding a sport), I decided to take a mental health day, get stuff done, engage in some retail therapy and not fret over swim training. I was quite cheery until I almost died in a car crash. Literally. Driving with my 15.5 year old (new permit) absolutely terrorizes me. That transition period where they gain experience and judgement is super ugly.

I'm hopeful this short mental break will rejuvenate me. If not, I will go full force into exercising my ass off, which often works. And, happily, my TRX system arrived in the mail late today along with a Rodney Yee "cross train core" DVD that a friend sent me. So now I have to figure out how to use TRX.

Here's my plan for the rest of the week:

Thursday: dryland + aerobic swim (probably either Speedo's workout from today or Elise's 3 x (8 x 50) set*

Friday: yoga + sprint swim

Saturday: drylands (maybe TRX)

Sunday: swim @ GMU + bikram yoga

* I was hoping to sneak off to a Thursday night practice hoping for a repeat of the stroke workout Speedo did this am. But, no, I am advised this is the first travel volleyball game of the season.

Zones:

In addition, I have revised my Zones entries to compensate for the lost meet. They are:

Saturday:

100 free (for 50 split)
200 mixed medley relay (probably 50 back)
50 evil
100 fly
women's 400 medley relay (100 fly)
women's 200 free relay

(I'm told there are breaks before and during the relays on the women's side this year. I really hope so. Last year, I had one heat between the two relays and practically fell off the blocks in exhaustion leading off the free relay.)

Sunday:

100 IM
skipping mixed 200 free relay (sorry Speedo)
100 evil
100 back
50 free (may scratch this depending on how Saturday's 50 free goes.)
women's 200 free relay

Is this enough events for you, Geekity? I'm hoping it's not too ambitious a schedule. Since I am planning a lot of 100s (for me) this meet, I will endeavor to keep my aerobic work up somewhat while still focusing on speed. I am already planning a massage for the following Monday to aid recovery.

And (cue protests from Patrick and Chris), I am engaging in dirty rotten sandbagging in the 100 evil with an NT to get more rest before the 100 back on Sunday. I really want to get another 100 evil in since I've been doing so much of it in practice.

Chard!!!
Zones!!!
Nats!!!

Submit "Lacking Ferocity, April 7" to Digg Submit "Lacking Ferocity, April 7" to del.icio.us Submit "Lacking Ferocity, April 7" to StumbleUpon Submit "Lacking Ferocity, April 7" to Google

Updated April 7th, 2010 at 10:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Planning

Comments

Head to head in 50 and 100 Evil then??
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    Head to head in 50 and 100 Evil then??
    Are you wearing the B70? If so, I think you will have the decisive edge.
    I'm thinking about it...I'm not in the 100 FR. I want to break 1:00 in a speedo...
    I'm thinking about it...I'm not in the 100 FR. I want to break 1:00 in a speedo...
    That's a great goal.

My 100 free times are almost the same in a FS I and B70. Sometimes it's the way you swim it and how you execute that matters more than the suit.

But you will at least clip, I hope?
    Yeah for zone...might shave too...we'll see...
    Yeah for zone...might shave too...we'll see...
    My advice, FWIW, is to clip for Zones and wear the B70 for a few (not all) swims. You need to re-acquaint yourself with its floaty properties before Nats.
    True...but I thought clipping makes it worse in a suit...the FS1 I wore at NEM helped a bit with the floaty thing...at least I think...
    True...but I thought clipping makes it worse in a suit...the FS1 I wore at NEM helped a bit with the floaty thing...at least I think...
    Well, clearly, I'm no expert on clipping ...

The FS I and the B70 are decidedly different. And isn't your FS I a kneeskin?
    yes it is..and it's probably too big.
    With that many events the NT is acceptable, although, with that many events, it might not ultimately make much difference.

You are perilously close to undertaking the 500, just accept it.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    With that many events the NT is acceptable, although, with that many events, it might not ultimately make much difference.

You are perilously close to undertaking the 500, just accept it.
    Nope, it might not make any difference. I'll play it by ear. Last year, I was so gassed the second half of day two that I scratched the 100 back. I think I need some HTFU mojo for this meet. Aside from my own preferences, I need to score some points for my team as we are attempting to defend our middle size team champ.

Do you ever notice how little freestyle I do in practice though?