View RSS Feed

Elise's Fitness Fun

It's all about speed now

Rate this Entry
by , April 12th, 2010 at 06:01 PM (1424 Views)
A friend pointed out that there is just 37 days left until Nationals and that it is time to get very event-specific. She's got that right! In looking over my training, I can see that I have not worked on speed enough lately. Time to get to it!

Today, I did a workout of 2700 yards using the fins most of the time. I'm a little pressed for time, so I'm not going to put the whole workout down. One of the sets was 4 rounds of 3 x 75 on 1:15 with fins. With each round, I mixed up the order of the 75s, doing a 75 fly, 75 free, and 75 dolphin kick on back each time. Really tried to work the walls. SCY is about the walls and LC is about the swimming. I stink with the walls, so this is my chance to work them.

I like swimming solo on this type of stuff because I can really focus and I don't have to worry about hitting somebody coming off the wall. I think swimming solo will really allow me to work on some quality stuff.

Submit "It's all about speed now" to Digg Submit "It's all about speed now" to del.icio.us Submit "It's all about speed now" to StumbleUpon Submit "It's all about speed now" to Google

Updated April 12th, 2010 at 07:39 PM by elise526

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Only 37 days. How true. I've totally revised my taper plan and am starting now.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Only 37 days. How true. I've totally revised my taper plan and am starting now.
    Curious to hear the plan.
    I'll blog it later. I just have no desire to mindlessly "train through" Zones like a middle distance swimmer. A coach I respect has advised me to rest and keep resting for Nats. More resting and racing; less intense training.
    I'll blog it later. I just have no desire to mindlessly "train through" Zones like a middle distance swimmer. A coach I respect has advised me to rest and keep resting for Nats. More resting and racing; less intense training.
    Sounds like good advice!

My plan is to do 4 workouts a week at 2500 to 3000 yards of quality. No more 3,500+ (or 4,000+ yards) workouts for me. Also, shorter sets and more rest between swims. Started today and sure does feel nice.

I also noticed I have some stroke flaws and turn stuff that needs to be fixed. Definitely need to work on the speed as so much since the Auburn meet has been mainly aerobic work.
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Sounds like good advice!

My plan is to do 4 workouts a week at 2500 to 3000 yards of quality. No more 3,500+ (or 4,000+ yards) workouts for me. Also, shorter sets and more rest between swims. Started today and sure does feel nice.

I also noticed I have some stroke flaws and turn stuff that needs to be fixed. Definitely need to work on the speed as so much since the Auburn meet has been mainly aerobic work.
    Yep, get going! I need to work on resting more since I've been killing the strength and speed training.

I may use my NE Champs taper for my last 3 weeks. The tricky party is what to do the week after Zones. Any suggestions?
    Yep, get going! I need to work on resting more since I've been killing the strength and speed training.

I may use my NE Champs taper for my last 3 weeks. The tricky party is what to do the week after Zones. Any suggestions?
    Let's see, if I have it right, you would have one week after Zones before you start your 3 week taper. You could take the Monday off after the meet or you could do an easy run. Whatever you decide, do something easy on Monday. On Tuesday, you might want to do a 2500 yard workout with easy aerobic sets. For the rest of the week, I'd stick to your usual routine - dryland work, swim workouts with some speed in there. Allow for lots of recovery between each swim.

Are you going completely off the weights at 3 weeks out?
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Let's see, if I have it right, you would have one week after Zones before you start your 3 week taper. You could take the Monday off after the meet or you could do an easy run. Whatever you decide, do something easy on Monday. On Tuesday, you might want to do a 2500 yard workout with easy aerobic sets. For the rest of the week, I'd stick to your usual routine - dryland work, swim workouts with some speed in there. Allow for lots of recovery between each swim.

Are you going completely off the weights at 3 weeks out?
    That's kind of what I was contemplating -- the first week being 1/2 aerobic, 1/2 easy speed with some drylands.

I think I dropped leg work 3 weeks out, but I'd have to check. May have done some light upper body lifting that first week of taper. Definitely didn't do anything the last 2.

Read this: http://www.active.com/swimming/Artic...ers.htm?page=2
    That's kind of what I was contemplating -- the first week being 1/2 aerobic, 1/2 easy speed with some drylands.

I think I dropped leg work 3 weeks out, but I'd have to check. May have done some light upper body lifting that first week of taper. Definitely didn't do anything the last 2.

Read this: http://www.active.com/swimming/Artic...ers.htm?page=2
    Sounds like a smart plan with the weights.

Great article! Interesting what he said about personalities being a factor. That idea kind of goes along with what the running coach told me about intense personalities and not working out on recovery days.

Wally Dicks has told me the week before a meet, each workout should just be a warm-up. In other words, do the workout as if you were warming up to swim a race that day. As a coach, I implemented this with my sprinters and it worked very well. When I've deviated from this in myself, I've not had the best meets. When I've stuck by it, provided my prior training is solid, I've done pretty well.

The week before the week leading up to the meet, I really like to have one day where I do 3 or 4 race efforts from a dive. I would not want to do this the week leading up to the meet.
    Updated April 12th, 2010 at 09:11 PM by elise526
    Wally is a huge fan of the 4-5 week taper. Also driving my thinking ...

I'm going to use the warm up theory!

I think I hit almost all the factors in that article (except hairy, lol): high strung, energetic, stressed muscular, low body fat etc.
    I think I hit almost all the factors in that article (except hairy, lol): high strung, energetic, stressed muscular, low body fat etc.
    Yep, I would say that you qualify for all of those except the hairy one!

The warm-up thing is hard to do sometimes because you feel like you are doing absolutely nothing. I really have to be make myself hold back and do this. It does seem to work for so many though.

When I coached age-groupers back in the late 90s, I used to ask Wally questions about tapering and it seemed to work extremely well.

You definitely have a very solid foundation, so I think a 4 to 5 week taper like Wally suggests would work very well for you.
    OK, just posted it. Let me know what you think, coach.
    OK, just posted it. Let me know what you think, coach.
    Just read it and it looks perfect!