View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Oh Joy, Weights. Thursday, Jan. 8

Rate this Entry
Dragged myself back to the gym today. Spent 75-80 minutes doing weights, core and RC. Didn't do as many sit-ups on the incline bench, as my intercostal muscles are still sore. (No idea what those were until Stud explained. lol) Added in some russian twists to keep up with Dr. Jaegermeister. Didn't increase weight today except for hammers. Made sure to do the external rotation exercises -- Coach Vlog would be proud. And deadlifts -- Coach Smith would be proud.

Stretched for 5 minutes.

Hopped on the Octane Fitness Ellipse machine for 20 minutes. Put it on the glute kicker setting. That got my heart rate up fast!

Stretched for another 5 minutes.

Like Chris, Mr. Fort reminded me last night that I should adapt to the weights relatively soon. I have added a couple additional pulling exercises, so maybe that made my back more sore than usual. I have to confess I'm still not "lifting heavy" like Ande or Jazz. And I only rarely do lat pull downs out of shoulder paranoia. But the pushing and pulling exercises (among others) that I do on the double cable free motion machine seem to be helping. I feel quite a bit stronger than I was in Austin.

I miss running. Haven't gone as much in the last couple weeks because I've been swimming more and the weather has been impossibly cold, rainy and gloomy. I always crave sunshine.

Booked hotel and flight for Auburn.

Confirmed entries for Jan. Open. Plan to swim 2 events on Sunday as well.

Submit "Oh Joy, Weights.  Thursday, Jan. 8" to Digg Submit "Oh Joy, Weights.  Thursday, Jan. 8" to del.icio.us Submit "Oh Joy, Weights.  Thursday, Jan. 8" to StumbleUpon Submit "Oh Joy, Weights.  Thursday, Jan. 8" to Google

Updated January 8th, 2009 at 04:31 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Cold? Gloomy? Go out and run, you big baby!
    Going tomorrow AM!

I am just against cold weather, though, and hence a big fat whiney baby! Guilty as charged.
    Les, I'm going to insist on hydration, green tea, bananas and gentle replication of motion for you to get the soreness out.
    Then forget about the calories and sugar and buy a tub of endurox...or a like product recommended by others!

You can do pull downs just use the lats and not your shoulders. Go light and slow, focus on the negatives too and you'll get the benefit. You want power not size.
    I had green tea, a banana and a balance bar today for a snack. Now that I think about it, I'm still freaking starving. lol I'm like Tim, I have to snack frequently.

The couple times I've done the lat pull down recently, I've done it on 60 out of an abundance of caution. You can do essentially the same exercise on the free motion machine, except it seems safer.
    What's the free motion?

Oh and since you asked a pullover machine is excellent for the intercostals & ribcage, helps expansion...might aid breathing. Certainly hit a swimmer's muscles where you want it too also.
    The free motion double cable machine. The best one has 2 stacks of weights, not just one. Look for it in your gym. It's my fav machine because you can do so many exercises on it (with light, medium or heavy weight), and you can simultaneously work the core on some exercises by using the flat side of a bosu. A trainer even showed me how to do the reverse incline sit ups (from Smith's weigh training program) on it with weight. You hook the handles around your shoes. It's awesome. Somtimes it's hard to get time on this machine because all the trainers use it for their clients.

I'm scared of the pullover machine too. I've never done it. I guess light weight would be OK? I'm just super leary of all over the head exercises.
    It sounds like you don't enjoy lifting. What helps me stick to my lifting plan is keeping the workouts short. Obviously you enjoy going to the gym, so if your weight workout is only 15-30 minutes, it is easier to convince yourself not to skip the weights and then you are off to do something more fun.
    Nope, don't. Like the core work. Problem is my gym pool is a pool of last resort because it's 85 degrees. So I don't really get to the gym more than a couple times a week. But shorter would definitely be better. I should probably try to make time to zip in and out more often.
    No complaints from me on running in the cold thing. I had to run so much when I was in the Army, in cold, in rain, in snow, just such a mess....I think that's why I despised running for so long afterwards. Now I actually enjoy it, especially when I can get outside and enjoy great weather. No need to force yourself to do it if you won't enjoy it.

I've been trying to go to the same gym location, at about the same time, and have started seeing some of the same people. One guy and I actually spotted for each other the other day, and we're supposed to meet tonight. I'm hoping to have someone help motivate me (or maybe the reverse I don't know), and having a spotter lets me take on more weight than I'd try on my own. Maybe you should try to find someone at your gym.