View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Tues 04/27/10: AM Swim & PM Run

Rate this Entry
by , April 28th, 2010 at 01:44 AM (460 Views)
made it to swim this morning with the team, Mesa Kino Aquatic Center (LCM)
Paul and Laura on deck coaching

got in 400 warm-up choice/various (was early!)

extended warm-up set, 4x through
100 @ 2:15, done as 50 smooth, 50 stroke kick IM order
2 x 50 @ 1:00, build/reverse build

main set
2 x 200 @ 3:15
50 fast kick/50 easy
4 x 100 @ 1:45
50 fast kick/50 easy
8 x 50 @ 5 sec rest
50 fast kick/50 easy

400 pull
200 warm-down

total: 3300m

notes--
* just didn't have any zing today, couldn't get out of my aerobic mode. ideally the 200s should have been on 3:00, but that's about when I finished the first. my 100s were on 1:30 or so, and my 50s around 45. those are all just horrible. towards the end, especially during the pull, I started feeling some speed. too late.
* there was a group of kids swimming in the next lane over. the guys all left after that first extra warm-up set, but a gal stuck around, and Paul had her doing breast on much of the rest. I thought of doing breast with her, and in hindsight I should have. next time.
* on my pull, I varied the odd 50s with different breathing patterns, the even 50s were back or breast. I'm liking doing back pull, but I wonder if it really helps improve actual backstroke.
* I did sneak in a 50 of my fly drill to stroke. I did that in my 200 warm-down, when I really should be doing that as part of warm-up.
* Paul just sent the following message out to the team--
Team,

This Saturday a very large number of our athletes who have dedicated themselves beyond belief the last 8 months (especially to training like "swimmers") are off to compete at Ironman St. George on Saturday (many are first timers).... please send your best wishes and any spare energy along to assist in their success!!! I have complete confidence in all of them because as Marlo has shared many times..."The hay is in the barn"!!

Good luck, stay safe and trust in your training and in yourself!!!

These are the guys I've commented on who join us on Friday mornings. I've mostly enjoyed training with them over the past few months. I hope some will continue to swim after their race.

then I did make it out for my run after work. not pretty...the Garmin stats--
Time: 01:21:56
Distance: 9.07 mi
Elevation Gain: 221 ft
Calories: 1,218 C
Avg Pace: 09:02 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace: 08:56 min/mi
Link to Garmin Connect

notes--
* had some stomach issues in late afternoon and debated if I should even bother running. I did, as running usually has a way of helping these things work themselves out...
* temp was 95 to 90F while I was running, but it was quite cloudy, breezy. a front is moving through the area tomorrow.
* the best thing I can say about my splits is that they were mostly consistent. roughly around 9:00 pace.
* when I was running along the Crosscut Canal, I kind of got in a nice groove, so I went through the underpass under McDowell. I hadn't been up there since last year when I ran with the guy who lived near the canal and Oak. was tempted to run up to Thomas, and didn't realize how the canal curved over to 68th st...but maybe next time.
* this was my longest non-Sunday run since I sprained my ankle. I'd like the pace to be faster of course. But for now, I'd like to keep this distance around 8, and increase it to 10 as I get into more distance training.

planning to swim with the team in the morning, hopefully I'll have some speed if it's called for. then get to the gym after work.

Submit "Tues 04/27/10:  AM Swim & PM Run" to Digg Submit "Tues 04/27/10:  AM Swim & PM Run" to del.icio.us Submit "Tues 04/27/10:  AM Swim & PM Run" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tues 04/27/10:  AM Swim & PM Run" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Running

Comments

From yesterday ...
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    We've chatted at our Starbuck's post-swim sessions about what a reasonable charge should be for an open water swim in a lake here. the consensus seems to be $25 to $30. they do have to get the sheriff's dept approval (yes, Sheriff's Joe's group), EMT's, etc. but somehow the Splash & Dash folks are able to do it, for far less (and Tempe Town Lake is prime real estate -v- Saguaro/Pleasant on the edges of town)
    I think this is mainly a supply & demand issue; DCB's really the only game in town for longer open water swims right now. If FourPeaks could expand beyond their splash & dashes with some pure OW swims, we might see price competition. While I'd certainly prefer $25 or $30, my benchmark is the La Jolla Rough Water, which is $45 for the 1 mile and $60 for the Gatorman, provided you get in the early entry deadline. So, $40's not bad. Plus, when I compare most of my pool meets with most of my wife's runs, I realize I generally get a great deal on pool meets, so paying more for OW is OK.

You do know there's a splash & dash Saturday morning, as well, right? One of my friends might try to hit that and then trek out of Saguaro for the 4k, as well.
    I'm stealing that main set, with some modifications. Thanks!
    Hey Patrick--your comment was too long for me to work with on my iPhone.

Anyway, I view La Jolla as more a destination event. I'm sure there are plenty of locals who do it, but it sounds like people travel from around the country to participate. While I'm sure there are some visitors for the Saguaro and Pleasant swims, I doubt it is the same degree. So even though La Jolla is more expensive, I'd rationalize it that I'd be escaping the heat, doing a vacation, etc. I would like to do La Jolla sometime, and even the Waikiki Roughwater swim.

No I didn't realize there was a Splash & Dash this weekend, but it doesn't fit my schedule anyway. I'm thinking of doing the one on May 20. I'd imagine the lake should be plenty warm by then. And that's just crazy to do the Splash & Dash then another lake swim, but I've heard of crazier.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I'm stealing that main set, with some modifications. Thanks!
    Glad you liked it, hope you get more out of it than I did. I think I can safely say you won't be stealing what I did this morning