Ande's Swimming Blog

Wed Apr 28th 2010

Rate this Entry
Wed Apr 28th 2010

Upcoming Travel
Thu May 13 - Sun 16: Grand Canyon, AZ
(any recs for what we should do there?)
Sun May 16 - Wed 19: Scottsdale, AZ
(any recs for what my family should do while I'm in meetings)
Thu May 20 - Mon 24: Atlanta

Lifted weights this morning

TODAYS SWIM PRACTICE

Swim Center
SCY Main pool & diving well
WHITNEY coached
6:30 - 8:00 dove in 6:33ish
swam with Marcio & Mike Varozza who's doing Waterloo Swim School in North West Austin
beside Nate, Jon, Tenille, Tyler, Amy, Brandon, Ned, & Michael Lovato
wore B70 legs

Warm UP
200 k fly no board went 2:22

MAIN SET
assigned 400 IM
did 4 x 50 drill

assigned 400
did 4 x 50

assigned 4 x 100 IM desc
DID: mike borrowed marcio's zoomer like fins & said he wanted to kick a 100 around 1:00, he went 53
so I skipped 1 -3, put on Marcio's fins trying to beat mike
I dove in & my right fin came off, but I kept going & kicked a 100 in 51

assigned 800
did 8 x 50

(this we had a little set here, but I don't remember it)

assigned 12 x 100
did: skipped it, to rest 15 minutes

50 bk
roll start
mike timed
went pretty fast but he had a timing malfunction so I don't know what my time was

50 easy

2010 MEETS:

[2010 Short Course National Championships
Thu May 20 - Sun 23, 2010
Nats are in 3 weeks & 3 days or 24 DAYS
time to get fast, strong, skinny, & rested
Days Till Nats
FRI 050 BR 100 FL
SAT 200 IM 050 BK
SUN 100 IM 050 FR

July 8 - 11, 2010
Senior Circuit #4
Austin, TX

07/23/10 - 07/25/10
2010 South Central Long Course
Southlake, Texas

Submit "Wed Apr 28th 2010" to Digg Submit "Wed Apr 28th 2010" to del.icio.us Submit "Wed Apr 28th 2010" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed Apr 28th 2010" to Google

Comments

Ande,

PM me with your kids ages / things they like to do and I can make recommendations for Scottsdale. Hiking is PERFECT this time of year in the mornings.

RE: Grand Canyon, if you're staying at the south rim, make sure you hike down the Bright Angel trail at least to the 1.5 mile rest marker. Getting inside the canyon offers a much different perspective than just being on the rim. If you weren't going to Nationals so soon after, I'd recommend doing a half day hike down to Indian Gardens and packing a picnic lunch, but that's a 9+ mile round trip and the hike back up is steep. Even if you weren't doing Nationals, I'd recommend you and your family make sure you're in hiking shape for that. The climb down is deceptively easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb

RE: Grand Canyon, if you're staying at the south rim, make sure you hike down the Bright Angel trail at least to the 1.5 mile rest marker. Getting inside the canyon offers a much different perspective than just being on the rim. If you weren't going to Nationals so soon after, I'd recommend doing a half day hike down to Indian Gardens and packing a picnic lunch, but that's a 9+ mile round trip and the hike back up is steep. Even if you weren't doing Nationals, I'd recommend you and your family make sure you're in hiking shape for that. The climb down is deceptively easy.
    I'm sure the scheduled mule rides are full, but maybe he could get in if there's a cancel? Worth looking into for the daytrip. Although not sure if riding a mule would cause any soreness so close to a meet. They are strict with the weight limit, so you could get in if someone scheduled is overweight.

If you have the time and never done it, I'd highly recommend taking one of the back ways to or from northern AZ. The 89A goes from Flagstaff down the Rim through Sedona, Jerome, to Prescott. Quite an amazing drive.

If you want to swim with the Mesa group (where next year's SCY nationals will be), check out the team website here. It isn't too close to where you'll be staying though.
    Thanks Pat,

My kids are Tess 19 & Dane 20.
    we are staying on the south side of the Grand Canyon.

Thanks for the hiking suggestions. Time to get in hiking shape. We'll probably do decent amount of hiking & photography.

We'll check out the Bright Angel trail at least to the 1.5 mile rest marker. Maybe do the half day hike down to Indian Gardens, gotta watch out for deceptively easy.

hey AZTim
    We'll check out the mule rides

We'll look into the back ways for our trip to or from northern AZ

Once I'm back in Scottsdale I'm going to be pretty busy.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

ande