View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Friday, Jan. 9

Rate this Entry
Woke up with cough and congestion threatening my ro-bust health. I'm blaming either Hulk or Thornton for this ... Decided on a yoga swimming/recovery type workout. Probably needed it anyway.

Warm up:

800 variety swim, kick, drill

Main Set:

(this is a Stud created set that I last did on Oct. 1)

2 x (200 kick, 200 swim, 2 x 100, 4 x 50, 8 x 25)
(intended to do 3 rounds, decided not to)

done as:

round #1:

200 dolphin kick on back w/MF @ 3:00
200 smooth backstroke @ 3:10
2 x 100 IM @ 1:45
4 x 50 roll backstroke drill @ 1:00
8 x 25 UW shooter w/MF

50 EZ

round #2:

200 dolphin kick on back w/MF @ 3:00
200 backstroke smooth @ 3:10
2 x 100 breast drill w/MF @ 1:45
4 x 50 dolphin kick w/ board @ 1:00
8 x 25 fly drills (2 x each fly spin drill, one arm fly, caterpillar and chest press fly)

100 C/D

Total: 2900

Submit "Friday, Jan. 9" to Digg Submit "Friday, Jan. 9" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday, Jan. 9" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday, Jan. 9" to Google

Updated January 9th, 2009 at 04:42 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I think you should elaborate on your drills a bit. I don't know the 'roll backstroke drill' is or the 'fly spin', 'caterpillar', or 'chest press fly'! Help a newbie out!:-)
    I will say that my backstroke is not any faster, but I'm getting much more comfortable at it and I know that the speed part will come from more practice and technique improvements!
    Sure thing, TJ!

Roll backstroke drill: Take 3 strokes, then do 6 kicks with arm extended with your body mostly on its side. Repeat for the whole 50. This drill, also known as "3-6 switch," is great for working on rotation in backstroke. Keep the rotation under the water. Don't let your shoulders pop out of the water too much. (I've see you do that! )

Fly spin drill: My fav fly drill. I like to do this with a monofin or fins. And unless you're an expert dolphin kicker like Ande or Chris, this is probably advisable. Push off on your stomach. Do 2 kicks on your belly, turn and do 2 kick on your right side, turn and 2 kicks on your back, turn and 2 kicks on your left side. Repeat. You're essentially "spinning" under water. (I do these as underwater 25s.) Or, you can take 4 kicks in each position. This drill is sometimes called "quarters." I first discovered this drill on the Go Swim website. Typhoons Coach on the forums uses this drill with his age groupers too.

Caterpillar drill: Lay on your stomach with hands extended a little more than shoulder width apart so that your body is in a Y position. Push gently with your chest to initiate the dolphin undulation motion. Repeat. You will be going very slowly (hence, the "caterpillar" appellation). This drill, essentially consisting of many mini undulations, is designed to teach you to press with your chest and stay flat. Don't kick on this drill. You can use fins or not. They may help keep your feet high, and leave you free to concentrate on the undulation. First saw this drill in the USMS mag.

Chest press fly: This drill is similar to the caterpillar drill except your hands are at your side. You do the same thing. Initiate the undulation with your head and chest. You're essentially going through the water like a little porpoise. I usually use fins for this drill too. Don't dolphin kick on this one either; just let your legs follow the undulation. These drills are just for getting the body/core motion correct.

Hope this helps.
    Updated January 9th, 2009 at 04:19 PM by The Fortress
    I remember seeing the last two drills in my very first issue of the USMS magazine. The spin drill sounds like fun and I may try to incorporate it tomorrow!
    My coach has really been working on my to press my shoulders into the water and look straight up rather than looking back in an effort to get my hips up. I am starting to swim relatively level on backstroke now! Yay!
    I'll also do some of the 3-6 switch drill. We do a lot of 6k and roll on our back and one arm back to work on rotation.
    I like that fly spin drill drill. Definitely adding that in to spice up my currently boring SDK on back only or stomach only.
    Not only is fly spin drill good for your stroke/kick, it's just plain pure fun. It's a standard part of my mermaid workouts.
    I do spin drill but just constantly spin...it's wicked funny

Fort I didn't create that set . That was from Kristi Lee's workout. I do enjoy it though.
    However, the 8x25, 4x50, 2x100, 1x200 thing was all me baby!
    Fort, I'm incorporating some of the drills you describe, and they help my anemic fly!

I saw someone do a version of the chest-press fly with arms at sides, but he propelled himself out of the water with each kick (I imagine it requires an Ironman core) and by this means flopped himself 25 yds and back. Definitely a lane-clearer.
    And I hope you feel better!
    <smile!>
    Excellent Vive! I still do all of them myself. The spin fly drill is my fav, but the caterpillar drill is my "comfort" drill.

For a change, I'm going to try resting & reading on the couch today instead of my usual exercising despite the cold routine.
    Leslie,

Kinda like this right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6LTlOjrbeY
    Nice! lol, Yep, pretty much like that except more kicking on each side.