View RSS Feed

Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton

Of sandpipers, sore throats,and stroke analysis

Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
1. Sore throats.

Throat sore today, so sore, in fact, that it was a chore swallowing the 8,000-10.000 Kcals that still managed to somehow wend their way through the inflamed Scylla and Charybdis of my gullet and enter my stomach.

Next Sunday, I am signed up for the 1-hour postal swim in the morning, followed by a Y meet in the afternoon. I am hoping that my sore throat is better by then. I will probably attempt to go to my swimming practice tomorrow, but will almost certainly need to swim in lane B or lane C, and keep some Ricolaaaaaaa! lozenges at the end of the pool within easy reach.

2. Stroke analysis
I am in negotiations with Jim M., our extremely knowledgeable webmaster nonpareil, for creating a new "group vlog" where interested swimmers can post video of their strokes to be analyzed by any volunteers (Chris, Ande, Patrick, Fortressa, etc.?) who might offer tips. I could do this here in my own vlog, but I think a dedicated one-stop-group-vlog site, dedicated only to swimming stroke analysis, could be very useful. I will keep you posted on the progress here.

Note: by "in negotiations" with Jim M., I mean simply that I have sent him a private message asking for advice in how to actually do a group vlog. I am waiting for him to answer, which I am sure he will do soon, given his work ethic and general levels of indefatigability.

3. Sandpipers
My brother has done another wonderful short video on a type of shore bird native to Cape May County, New Jersey, where he lives. It has a wee tiny bit of human swimming, but a lot of lovely ocean videography of waters where my new Open Water swim will be held every year from now on, a few days before or after our birthday on Sept. 24th. This is a great time of year for open water swimming in New Jersey. The crowds are largely absent, and the water is as warm as it gets all year.

Please enjoy the sandpipers!

And stay tuned for the group Stroke Analysis Video Group Blog

BORKED

Submit "Of sandpipers, sore throats,and stroke analysis" to Digg Submit "Of sandpipers, sore throats,and stroke analysis" to del.icio.us Submit "Of sandpipers, sore throats,and stroke analysis" to StumbleUpon Submit "Of sandpipers, sore throats,and stroke analysis" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

A group vlog is a fantastic idea!
    I don't know if i am allowed to have two blogs, but if so, I would love to administer such an operation!
    Hi Jim,

Saw your post here so I thought I'd just answer here instead of by PM. Short answer - I don't think this kind of thing lends itself to a group blog application. For video analysis it would be better if each person requesting video analysis by other forumites would start a new forum thread with their video link. Then anyone can start their own thread and anyone can reply, and the ongoing replies can be more interactive. If there is enough demand for this, I could create a dedicated forum for it.

Longer answer:

Interactivity :
    The forum threads allow more direct interaction among members through features such as easily being able to quote one or more prior replies (gives a better sense of who you're talking to). Blogs don't have that feature. Blogs are more of a one-way conversation from the blog owner (although I am answering you here!), while forum thread are intended for discussions among several users.

One blog per user:
    There is only one blog allowed per user with this forum/blog software. To create a second blog, you would have to create a second user account. For example, if you have 3 coaches for a given team and would like all 3 to share the responsibility of posting workouts in a shared blog, you might create a user named "MyTeam Coaches"
    and create a blog for that user. You could make it a group blog by allowing coaches 1, 2, and 3 to post to that blog form their own accounts. Regardless of which coach is posting to that blog from which account, the post will be attributed to the user "MyTEam Coaches". That's a perfect use for group blogs, as well as having a group blog for support staff to post to or something like that.

Blog post origination:
    Only the blog owner and those forum users designated by the blog owner can post new blog entries to a group blog. In order for you to open up the group vlog to all users to post their videos, you'd have to invite every single forum member (all 7,000+) to be group blog owners with you. That's just not practical.

Like I said, if there's enough demand we could set up a dedicated video analysis forum in which people can create threads requesting analysis of their videos. Existing threads doing this already could be moved there.
    I see what you mean. Why don't I try posting a new thread topic soliciting video analysis, propose the idea of a specific forum, add a poll to see if people are interested? Then we can see where it goes from there?