View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

"Sleep It Off" June 2, 2010

Rate this Entry
I consulted my doctor today about my ongoing malaise, for which JimRude has taken responsibility. He said there is a nasty 2 week malaise like virus going around and that I should just "sleep it off." I will do my best in this respect; I would just like it to be gone by the weekend during which a malaise is decidedly contra-indicated. Though Jim gallantly took full blame, I wonder if it is the result of some funk from Nationals? Several people I know have come home and been quite ill.

Mike left an interesting link to an article in the NYT re: massage. The article, which reports on a scientific study, concludes that post exercise massage “actually impairs removal of lactic acid from exercised muscle.” http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...=me&ref=health. So it made me wonder whether massage really does speed recovery (as I was opining after my post Zones massage). I suppose it could speed recovery for reasons unrelated to lactic acid. I certainly have been going the passive recovery route ... and am currently re-watching Lost with Mini.

Mike suggested that massage might help sickness. Anyone have experience with this? I've heard that, if you have symptoms, it can bring on the illness like gangbusters ...

Given that this is the lengthiest time off I've had in ages, I'm hoping it doesn't hinder my workout mojo when I return and make me a wuss. My son opined that this was a likely result of taking complete rest as opposed to recovery type exercise. Of course, none of his opinions have any valid basis either. I am trying to stave off being a "wuss" by being a Snotty Forum Poster.

BTW, Dr. Jaeger (who teaches Evidence Based Medicine at Mayo) reported back to me that Metagenics products are sold in the Mayo store, not the Mayo pharmacy. He's not sure how they got the product space. I agree with him that the marketing of supplements is far ahead of the scientific study of such supplements. Nonetheless, I have received my 7 Exfuze sample and took my first shot today!

Ok, time to get off the couch and go back to my almost full time chauffeuring duties.

Submit ""Sleep It Off" June 2, 2010" to Digg Submit ""Sleep It Off" June 2, 2010" to del.icio.us Submit ""Sleep It Off" June 2, 2010" to StumbleUpon Submit ""Sleep It Off" June 2, 2010" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

  1. aztimm's Avatar
    I've also been fighting some funk since the weekend, but thankfully I'm still able to workout. Not quite like I'd like, but probably for the best. I've been getting to bed 8:30 to 9, and pretty much asleep as soon as I lay down. I guess I could have picked up something during my mid-May adventures.

    Interesting story about the massage. When I did PT last year, they said it was good for getting rid of excess fluids, but didn't specify lactic acid. My Mom (also a physician) told me regular massages could be helpful. I think the key is to find the right person, who knows your pain tolerance, but knows what they're doing too. I'd hate to make things worse.
  2. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I've also been fighting some funk since the weekend, but thankfully I'm still able to workout. Not quite like I'd like, but probably for the best. I've been getting to bed 8:30 to 9, and pretty much asleep as soon as I lay down. I guess I could have picked up something during my mid-May adventures.

    Interesting story about the massage. When I did PT last year, they said it was good for getting rid of excess fluids, but didn't specify lactic acid. My Mom (also a physician) told me regular massages could be helpful. I think the key is to find the right person, who knows your pain tolerance, but knows what they're doing too. I'd hate to make things worse.
    I bet it was the vacation ... I hope I don't have a funk redux after my vaca.

    Sleep does seem to be the best tonic. I may be able to do some minimal "workout" tomorrow. At least I'm hoping.
  3. JimRude's Avatar
    Makes me sound like some sort of Typhoid Mary...
  4. swimmerb212's Avatar
    Whenever I get sick, I go to bed until it goes away. Seems to work pretty well. I got a nasty something two weeks before the Middlebury LCM meet last year, and woke up just in time for it, and demolished my times from the previous year. It's like a re-set button.
  5. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimRude
    Makes me sound like some sort of Typhoid Mary...
    Typhoid P90X Mary then ...
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmerb212
    Whenever I get sick, I go to bed until it goes away. Seems to work pretty well. I got a nasty something two weeks before the Middlebury LCM meet last year, and woke up just in time for it, and demolished my times from the previous year. It's like a re-set button.
    I wish I could just could hop in bed and not emerge. But there are these other 3 beings in the house who insist ...

    I've heard of people swimming PBs after being sick. That didn't work so well for me last March. But I aspire for it to work!

    I hope I will be reset soon.
  7. Kurt Dickson's Avatar
    the "malaise virus"? I think my patients would take a giant dump on my head if I used that one.

    I think massage works in my study of n=1. I did a nasty 104 mile ride last november, massage afterward (no time for shower poor massage therapist...tipped a lot, however), then the next morning won an open water 4000 meter swim. I was shocked how well I felt and that my legs did not even make an attempt to cramp.

    Good luck getting your mojo back.
  8. The Fortress's Avatar
    Well, I might just perhaps have paraphrased some ...

    Yeah, I liked the sentence at the end of the article, which was essentially a "screw that conclusion" comment. So apart from the lactic acid point, there must be other benefits. Or else we're all psychologically brainwashed? Yes, this might be Jimby's take on it.
    Updated June 2nd, 2010 at 08:08 PM by The Fortress
  9. scyfreestyler's Avatar
    Funny, I heard about the massage article on the radio today and I immediately thought of posting it to your next blog! Seems like a rather limited study that doesn't even attempt to prove that massage has no recovery benefit.

    Hope you feel better soon. I would look to any persons you had gridges with as potential "providers" of the causal virus.
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    Funny, I heard about the massage article on the radio today and I immediately thought of posting it to your next blog! Seems like a rather limited study that doesn't even attempt to prove that massage has no recovery benefit.

    Hope you feel better soon. I would look to any persons you had gridges with as potential "providers" of the causal virus.
    Yeah, the study itself is intentionally self-limiting. And it was the forearm ...

    Damn, how could Geek have flown under my radar? He undoubtedly slipped something in my drink on Saturday night, hoping to derail me on Sunday without realizing my superpowers would ward off the onset of an ailment until I was done with racin'.
  11. SwimStud's Avatar
    Massage seems to trigger off brewing illnesses for some reason...I guess that the stress release/relaxation allows the illness to break through and then the body's systems are not working on fighting said muscle tension and can focus on the invader and knock it out quicker.
    I only theorise based on my experience of getting really ill really fast and then recovering rapidly too. Lots of water and green tea during the post massage phase supposedly helps flush crud out...does it work...or is it the placebo effect...I dunno.
  12. pwb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    I think massage works in my study of n=1. I did a nasty 104 mile ride last november, massage afterward (no time for shower poor massage therapist...tipped a lot, however), then the next morning won an open water 4000 meter swim. I was shocked how well I felt and that my legs did not even make an attempt to cramp.
    Kurt, I've heard you should really be doing 208 mile rides before any future OW races in Arizona where I'm going to be racing and pull a night shift right beforehand as well. Then, massage afterwards.

    Leslie -- good luck on recovery. Probably a post-meet blah gone wild. I'm funkified too and trying to rest.
  13. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Leslie -- good luck on recovery. Probably a post-meet blah gone wild. I'm funkified too and trying to rest.
    I think it's post meet exhaustion/funk that permitted an invading virus to take over my body. This is a tough one. I'm still not better at all.
  14. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    Massage seems to trigger off brewing illnesses for some reason...I guess that the stress release/relaxation allows the illness to break through and then the body's systems are not working on fighting said muscle tension and can focus on the invader and knock it out quicker.
    I only theorise based on my experience of getting really ill really fast and then recovering rapidly too. Lots of water and green tea during the post massage phase supposedly helps flush crud out...does it work...or is it the placebo effect...I dunno.
    At the moment, even a massage sounds awful. I'm doing what I can to flush crud out, but it's taking its bloody time.
  15. quicksilver's Avatar
    I wonder if it is the result of some funk from Nationals? Several people I know have come home and been quite ill.
    This is a really off beat question...but how many people do you think might have peed in the warm down pool given what a pain it is to peel those suits on and off?

    Interestingly Michale Phelps even admits to doing this. And if one in five people do it regularly...the odds might even be greater at a big meet where everyone's wrapped tight like a sausage and a bath room break is a bit of a hassle.


    http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/22...inate.hygiene/
    Updated June 3rd, 2010 at 04:38 PM by quicksilver
  16. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    This is a really off beat question...but how many people do you think might have peed in the warm down pool given what a pain it is to peel those suits on and off?

    Interestingly Michale Phelps even admits to doing this. And if one in five people do it regularly...the odds might even be greater at a big meet where everyone's wrapped tight like a sausage and a bath room break is a bit of a hassle.


    http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/22...inate.hygiene/
    There was a ton of talk about peeing in the pool. In addition, the larger women's locker room was a hike from the pool; the smaller one had a perpetual line. I'm sure the warm down pool was far worse than normal. That's kinda gross to think that might have made people sick ...