2012 Olympics: Swimming
2012 Olympics website
2012 Olympic Swimming
Swimming Schedule and Ticket Info
[ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18354"]2012 USA Olympic Trials USMS forum site[/ame]
The Aquatics Centre for the London Olympics opened today. With two 50m pools and a diving well, maybe it will host Masters Worlds someday.
Sun Yang swam an impressive 3:42.89 400 fr at the Miami Long Course Super Challenge in GOLD COAST, Australia, on Sat January 28, 2012. Last year he went 3:40.29. He also went 1:46.84 in the men's 200 free & 49.50 in the men's 100 free
He's the one to beat in the 400 & 1500.
from swimming world
HOLY LANE LINES ---------450 euros for a one day pass to some events ?!?!?!
The building is a spectacular design. Maybe the $ admission is to help pay for it. :)
That said, it has 2,500 seats.
Backing Olympians is a big risk for sponsors, so why is gold medalist Ryan Lochte such a sure bet?
Interesting article about Coughlin's choice of events:
The only downside is access is strictly enforced through an enormous shopping mall. As my friend put it, "full of fat pasty people clutching shopping bags who probably arent even aware that the Olympic venue is next door" ...
Jessica Hardy blogging for ESPNw:
I think it's little too "natural" and futuristic for my liking.It's has a pseudo Frank Lloyd Wright design. It also reminds me of one of those creepy Johnny Depp movies- Alice in Wonderland, Willy Wonka, Edward Scissor Hands, etc.
I lived in Britian between the ages of 2-9. Europe has some really cool modern architecture. This is one of my favorites in London:
And let's just hope the British aren't building it because god knows they're not great at building things- Cars, the Titanic (technically Irish built but British designed), London Bridge, etc. There's that old British car joke something along the lines of "if it's not leaking oil it's because all the oil has already leaked out.' Let's hope the pool doesn't leak!
The joke with "The Bird's Nest" in China was that it started off as a stadium, but then the chinese build things so cheaply that they had to come in with extra support beams to keep the building standing up, and thats why it ended up looking like a birds nest.
"That was really tragic. I hope she makes the team"
And I'm pulling for her to go solid gold in all events and then a movie!
it will be interesting to see how this list looks after the Olympics
Comparison of Textile Bests to World Records
April 10, 2012
Guest editorial by John Craig
It's way too soon to make specific predictions, but what the heck...
Outside of the Lochte / Phelps contests, which races do people thing will be most compelling? IMO:
- Lochte / Irie in the 200 back. Lochte destroys him on the turns and then Irie catches up between the flags. Lochte is going to have his hands full.
- Aus men vs US men in the 4X100 free. This one probably goes without saying and will probably be the race of the meet (with the possible exception of the women's version). The key is the third and fourth swimmers. IMO, the US has talent to put some time into Targett, Sullivan and McElvoy. Berens to deliver, IMO.
- Dutch women vs. US women in 4x100 free. The US has been coming on strong in the past few months and this race will be even tighter than Shanghai, IMO. The Dutch are probably going to win but again, the key is the third and fourth swimmers. Megan Romano? Amanda Weir? Liv Jensen? Jessica Hardy? This is going to be fascinating.
- Hardy vs. Soni in the 100 breast. I don't think anyone else will hang with them, going to be very tight. Watch Breeja Larson or Efimova (Larson in trials to make the team) set a world record and prove me wrong. Larson is a complete wild card, I've personally never seen her swim LCM.
- Women's 200 IM. So many swimmers in the 2:09 range. I think the suited WR is out of reach but who knows. This is going to be a dogfight. IMO, it will take at least 2:07 low to win.
- Men's 100 back. I have no earthly idea who will win this. I'll say Lacourt is the favorite, but who knows what will happen.
- Men's 400 free. Sun Yang vs Park. This race is going to be absolutely thrilling. WR to win it, IMO.
- Women's 200 free. We were denied Pellegrini vs. Franklin in Shanghai but there's a lot of other fast women out there (in particular, I'll keep an eye on Sjoestrom). Going to be a thriller.
IMO, the men's 200 free and 100 fly will be pretty exciting but not as good as these other races. I can't wait for US trials.