Thread: Dryland training for hardcore sprinter

Dryland training for hardcore sprinter

Just a question on what type of dryland training I should do off season. I am an extremely hardcore sprinter...I can only excel at 50s and 100s, and only in races. Practice is hard for me because of my total lack of endurance (I can swim the yardage, just i get exponentially slower as I do it). So my question is, in order to get better at my sprint events, should I do some cross-training cardio workouts like cycling, running, jumping jacks, mountain climbers; or should I just weight lift a lot. My reasoning is if I increase my endurance, I will be able to keep up a high power level throughout a 100 race, rather than just dying exponentially. However, if I weight life, I will gain even more strength than I have now and will maybe be able to power through a 100 race. What do you think? Also, what is your opinion on stretch cord workouts? I understand that they are high rep exercises, so they mostly tone muscles...how does that help a sprinter?

Blog Entries

Re: Dryland training for hardcore sprinter

I look at it this way: in a race, I need to generate a lot of power with each stroke, but I also need to be able to take X strokes. So, unless I can do my 100 LCM fly in 10-12 strokes, I'm going to need some kind of "endurance". If I can't do the 40 strokes it really takes with any level of power, then I need to work on that conditioning. Sounds like you're in the same boat.

I think the off- or early season is a really good time to focus on conditioning. It's not something you can gain in a week of cramming. I also like the word "conditioning" better than "endurance". Endurance sounds like something a triathlete would need. Gross!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

A 100 is an awful long sprint, especially LCM. Really, the only true fast-twitch (IIb) sprinting going for a 100 is in the start and turn, but that's where one can gain an advantage. I found true plyometric exercises to be exceptional these areas, as well as lifting for power.

I wonder if training for a 100 can hurt ones 50 time

Participating Member

Hello,

I would consider checking out Leslie Livingston's high-intensity workouts. She has a blog written under screenname The Fortress. You may like not only her dryland workouts which are posted in the blog but also may want to try out some of her pool workouts, perfect for sprinters.

I love using my stretch cords for strength training. Currently I use them to do about 6 types of upper body exercises and do 3 sets of 10 for each exercise. This is a good alternative to weight-lifting for me since I do not have a gym membership. Online, you can find lots of stretch cord exercises/videos for swimmers...also check out the USA Swimming strength and conditioning page for all sorts of tips and ideas: http://www.usaswimming.org/DesktopDe...ainbow&Lang=en