Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you meet your goals at nationals?

Did you meet your goals at nationals?

I'm curious to know how things turned out. I know Ande and Jazz Hands had publicized goals as well as a lot of others (e.g., times, swimmer vs. swimmer...). How did things turn out? Give us an update. Some of your goals might have been to just get drunk and reconnect with old friends. Post a synopsis for those of us who did not or could not attend.

Tough like cottage cheese
    Blog Entries

Re: Did you meet your goals at nationals?

I hit most of my goals at Nats. I really had 2 sets of goals so the first was what I expected and the second was what I hoped for.

50 Fly - Expected 25.99, hoped for 25.5. Would have gone that but my breakout off the start was very poor. Went 26.03.

50 Free - Expected 23.20, hoped for 22.xx, swam 23.63 - this one was a puzzling disappointment as I don't know what went wrong.

100 IM - Expected 1:00.99, hoped for 59.99 - went 1:00.68 and I feel good that I will go faster as I'm still working on my back and breast.

100 Back - Expected 1:03 low, hoped for mid 1:02, went 1:02.77 and I can go faster as my stroke is still not very good.

50 Back - Expected 29.00, hoped for 28.50, went 28.06 and if I had nailed my finish would have gone under 28. This was my high water mark for the meet. I looked up at the board and didn't believe the time. I was on cloud 9.

100 Free - Expected sub 52, hoped for 51 low, went 52.85 - swam this race horribly, maybe it was the last event of the last day, maybe I was just too tired but my freestyle events in this meet were a disappointment but the other 4 events MORE than made up for it.

Paul
    2009 LCM Nationals in Indy - I'm coming for you.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

my goals were kind of fuzzy

I wanted to see how my times compared to my 1988 times

50 fr
    hoped to go under 22
    secretly hoped for under 21.50
    was pleasantly surprised with 21.43

50 fr (relay)
    hoped to go under 21
    went 21.19

100 fr
    wanted to break 48 but it was my last swim
    guess I left it all in the pool in the 50 bk
    so it broke me

100 IM
    thought I'd go 54 low
    went 53.70

100 bk
    hoped to have a proportional drop from zones like I did in my 50's
    so I was shooting for 52 high 53 but it was a 2nd swim
    just wasn't snappy

50 bk
    going in I hoped to break 24.99
    I was swimming well in practice with
    23.2 from a roll dive and
    24.2 from a bk racing start

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    I'm curious to know how things turned out. I know Ande and Jazz Hands had publicized goals as well as a lot of others (e.g., times, swimmer vs. swimmer...). How did things turn out? Give us an update. Some of your goals might have been to just get drunk and reconnect with old friends. Post a synopsis for those of us who did not or could not attend.

Paragon / Swimming Virtue
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ande View Post
    my goals were kind of fuzzy
    Same here. The meet was a fuzzy success for me. I originally wanted to swim a fast 100 at this meet, but I dropped that idea. I would have been doing an event that's not very fun for me, just to prove I could.

I had big time drops in my 50 fly and 50 free, but I don't put too much weight on that. Races are just estimates of where I am, and my goal in training is to constantly improve. So, in the future, I'll want to be stronger and faster. The times will reflect that eventually.

Very Active Member

I enjoyed this meet more than any in years. I was stunned by how fast the swimming was. The fastest age group, at least in the 50 yard freestyle, was the 35-39 age group, followed by the 40-44.

It was one of the best meets of my life. Lifetime best in the 50 yard backstroke and the 50 yard buttetfly. (I have been hand timed faster, but that doesn't really count.)

In my 100 I.M. I came within .3% of my lifetime best. At my age (33) I never take personal bests for granted. They come around very rarely, if at all. Everything had to come together just right for my personal records to fall. That rarely happens, so I am thankful to God.

What a blessing it was to watch the swimming. I will never forget Josh Davis' 200 yard freestyle. It was the most incredible swim I have ever seen in person.

God bless all!
    Mike
    Romans 8:1

Paragon / Swimming Virtue
    Blog Entries

Forgot to mention that my number one goal was to meet people and have fun. Got that done.

NOOOOO! I didn't get to go due to a bout of frozen shoulder and an injured back. Maybe next year?
    My goal is to die young as late as possible!

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swimr4life View Post
    NOOOOO! I didn't get to go due to a bout of frozen shoulder and an injured back. Maybe next year?
    I got a whole bunch of reasons why I didn't go...don't get me started! lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands View Post
    Forgot to mention that my number one goal was to meet people and have fun. Got that done.
    That was the fabulous part! So glad to meet you Jazz! You swam great! I met zillions of great folks, ate at some great restaurants, had a blast! After pretending he was drinking me into the ground (although he apparently was counting his wife's beers), Mel gave up and ceded the drinking contest to me. I have to thank him though because if he hadn't told me about the guy who bashed his head into a wall, I might never have met K-Stew. Paul Smith took huge delight in poking fun at me for being height challenged ("What ... oh sorry for walking over you, Fort. Didn't see you there.") And his lovely wife has the best smile ever! It was great to finally meet ande -- although I refuse to cut my hair like he suggested! I also appreciate all the tips and coaching I got from people who watched my races and cheered. Thanks so much. I have stuff to work on, including my "train wreck" evilstroke, "lawnchair" starts and "meh" turns.

I loved watching everyone swim and was happy to see everyone logging PBs -- even the pregnant one! What a treat. As for my own swims, I did 5/6 PBs. Happy with that. My 50 fly was my best swim. I'm not tapering again until maybe next summer. When I do, it won't be for 3 weeks. Ran out of gas completely on a couple of my 100s. But at least I swam some hundreds!

Pretty much met all my stretch goals except for 400 IM. Got a big gulp of water on the first length of breaststroke and the legs failed me.

Actually had a PB in 200 Breast by spending just a few minutes on drills each day. Going to give it a little more attention and see what happens over the Summer.
    Last edited by Big AL; May 5th, 2008 at 08:49 PM.
    <---- optical illusion, if you look at the puppy long enough... he begins to levitate.

Very Active Member

I have to say thank you to Erik Scalise for not showing up. And, I want to also say to Erik Scalise for not showing up.

I'd been training hard for the 200 IM, and I wanted to race Erik for at least 150 yards. In the actual race, I pictured him next to me in the empty lane. It worked ... for 150 yards. My freestyle was slower than my backstroke.

Because Erik didn't show up, I won all six of my events. Didn't expect that. I got to race in all six of my events, which was sooooooo much fun.

It was also great to see everyone again, to see the old guys give me something to shoot for when I reach my 40s and to see the forumites in person.

I lost the 50 free to the "cheater" so the rest of my races are voided.
    I crack myself up. It is jealousy. It is Boredom. I Did not accomplish enough when I was young, and I hate anybody faster/younger than me.

Blog Entries

The only goal I made was breaking 28 in the 50 Free while leading off the relay with a 27.83.

All but one swim were best times so I can't complain but I did not make my planned goals which were quite lofty. This trip must still be considered a success since any PB's are all you can ask for.

Very Active Member

didn't make any of mine.

my main goals were to beat the older, larger Smith at everything but I couldn't even do it in the 1000 where he rolled over on his back and did a whale imitation while warming down after setting the record in the first 100.

oh well, there's always next year...
    Mel Dyck
    • Certified Level 2 ASCA Coach

Swimmer Bill

Yes, I did reach my goals. And I swam, too.

Thanks for asking!

Very Active Member jaegermeister's Avatar

Jazz said it best: this was so much fun it will keep me inspired for a long, long time.

As for the swimming, I did post 3 of 3 PB, but I wanted more. Just goes to show we are often our own harshest critics.

Blog Entries

I have to say I had a great meet overall. Masters bests in all my events, however I did leave a couple goals unattained. That's the thing about this sport, no matter what you do there's always something you could have done better!

On the positive side, my 1650 free was excellent and winning my first event at Nationals was exciting! My goal in the event was under 17:30. I went 17:16, so just a hair under a 1:03 pace per 100. I split the thing absolutely consistently. I think I negative split by about two seconds.

My 400 IM was also good for me at 4:28. 2:06 in the 200 fly was good and I split it pretty well. 2:07 in the 200 IM was another masters best and seeing how it was my last event of the meet it was a keeper. I placed top ten in all these events.

The downside were my 200 and 500 free. Both were bests by a very slim margin, but I really expected to be faster considering how I swam in the mile. My 200 free was a 1:50.13. My previous best was 1:50.18 from 2005. I looked at the splits between the two races and every single 50 was within 0.1 second! That kind of consistency is a little crazy. I really thought I could go about a 1:48.

Same deal with the 500. After swimming a 5:00.8 three weeks ago I thought I'd be around 4:55, but instead I just missed going under the 5:00 barrier (again) with a 5:00.36. In fact, the final 50 in my 500 was slower than the final 50 in my 1650. If I just could have come home as well. Also, I finished third and the winner was 4:58 (Erik Hochstein decided to go for a 200 split otherwise he would have won easily), so I feel like I could have won my second event with a good swim. Oh well, lots of "could haves" in swimming.

In retrospect I may have bitten off a little more than I could chew. I swam the maximum possible yardage at the meet and swam three relays. That was probably too much and I was hurting by the end of the meet. I might have to reconsider my event selection next time.

Sorry for the long-winded post. I've got a lot on my mind after this meet!

Back is faster than Fly poolraat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was an awesome meet. Very well run. Kudos to those who hosted.

This was my 2nd Nationals and I hoped only to improve on my times, particularly my 50 and 100 back, since my focus since January has been backstroke. I had 3 LIFETIME personal bests out of the 5 events I swam:

50 free I dropped 0.15s
    50 back I dropped 1.82s
    100 back I dropped 3.71s

BTW I got a 10th place (M55-59)in the 50 back. As I have been swimming for only 8 years I was ecstatic!
    Last edited by poolraat; May 6th, 2008 at 10:34 AM. Reason: wrong event
    I have entered the snapdragon stage of my life (Part of me has snapped and the rest of me is draggin ).

Blog Entries

Achieved a goal I set for myself five years ago when I joined USMS--placing at short course Nationals (1000 free)

Set Masters PBs in the 200 and 500 (but missed my goal times of sub 2:00 and sub 5:30)

Met Paul Smith and his lovely wife Laura (herself a national champion now)

Saw some great swims by several forumites (Fort's 100 back and IM, Paul's 200, 500 and 1000 free, and Kirk Nelson, Frank Thompson, Mark Mattson, and Jim Clemmons in the 500).

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    I have to say I had a great meet overall. Masters bests in all my events, however I did leave a couple goals unattained. That's the thing about this sport, no matter what you do there's always something you could have done better!

On the positive side, my 1650 free was excellent and winning my first event at Nationals was exciting! My goal in the event was under 17:30. I went 17:16, so just a hair under a 1:03 pace per 100. I split the thing absolutely consistently. I think I negative split by about two seconds.

My 400 IM was also good for me at 4:28. 2:06 in the 200 fly was good and I split it pretty well. 2:07 in the 200 IM was another masters best and seeing how it was my last event of the meet it was a keeper. I placed top ten in all these events.

The downside were my 200 and 500 free. Both were bests by a very slim margin, but I really expected to be faster considering how I swam in the mile. My 200 free was a 1:50.13. My previous best was 1:50.18 from 2005. I looked at the splits between the two races and every single 50 was within 0.1 second! That kind of consistency is a little crazy. I really thought I could go about a 1:48.

Same deal with the 500. After swimming a 5:00.8 three weeks ago I thought I'd be around 4:55, but instead I just missed going under the 5:00 barrier (again) with a 5:00.36. In fact, the final 50 in my 500 was slower than the final 50 in my 1650. If I just could have come home as well. Also, I finished third and the winner was 4:58 (Erik Hochstein decided to go for a 200 split otherwise he would have won easily), so I feel like I could have won my second event with a good swim. Oh well, lots of "could haves" in swimming.

In retrospect I may have bitten off a little more than I could chew. I swam the maximum possible yardage at the meet and swam three relays. That was probably too much and I was hurting by the end of the meet. I might have to reconsider my event selection next time.

Sorry for the long-winded post. I've got a lot on my mind after this meet!
    Kirk, you won the mile(!) so way to go. Anyhow, not being a miler myself I feel a little unqualified to make this statement, but nonetheless, I think having the mile be your first race is quite a disadvantage. 17 hard minutes of swimming takes alot out of anyone. So it really is true that you would ahve been a lot faster in any of your races had the mile not been on Thursday...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast