Thread: Arizona State Men's Swimming Cut

Very Active Member

Arizona State Men's Swimming Cut

This is a stunner to me. Here's the Swimming World link:

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...Swimming%20Cut
    Mel Dyck
    • Certified Level 2 ASCA Coach

Re: Arizona State Men's Swimming Cut

THAT'S TERRIBLE for everyone involved. It's hard to believe they tried to keep the program when they never even discussed anything with the coach!
    My goal is to die young as late as possible!

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

Very Active Member

Terrible news for men's swimming - AGAIN....
    From the Rolling Stones "Mother's Little Helper" - "What a drag it is getting old....."

Very Active Member

Bad for the sport.... no doubt.

The trend does not look good for mens collegiate swimming over the past decade.

Blog Entries

This is getting f%$king ridiculous...
    This bush league psyche-out stuff. Laughable, man - ha ha!

Participating Member

The funraising continues to reinstate the Men's swim team at Arizona State University. Go to www.saveASUswimming.com to help. Large or small every contribution counts. We appreciate your help in saving this Olympic Sport with a rich history and tradition of excellence at ASU. I donated. It was easy. I have three college age boys. Although they do not swim for ASU, I understand the need for positive opportunity and sport in college. Sport has kept my boys engaged in positive activity and out of trouble. They are healthy and focused on their education. Swimming has taught them and other young men like them so much. I also undertand that action must be taken now by those of us who care about the future of swimming in order to preserve this opportunity for young men.

Coach Dia
    SVAM Master Coach
    Last edited by coachdia; May 23rd, 2008 at 05:50 PM.

I'd be happy to donate a few bucks toward "funraising" for this cause, but the information on the linked site (by Coach Dia) is pauce.

1) Is the president of Arizona State University engaged?
    2) Is the provost?
    3) Is the board?
    4) Are Arizona's elected state representatives?
    5) Is there a heavyweight (one or more) alum spearheading a fundraising drive among other alums and friends? How much has been raised so far? Who are the lead donors? Are they publicizing their efforts to the broader community? Has a letter gone out to every alum asking for a donation? Is there an appeal in the alum mag? In the newspapers?
    6) Are national swim orgs weighing in? How?
    7) Has the president of ASU promised a stay of the program cut until fundraising has had a chance to take effect?
    8) What is the likelihood of success, especially if none of questions 1 through 7 has a positive answer?
    9) Are they just going out for beer and ice cream and paying for the Web site with my money? Where can I find out how much $$ has been raised, how much has gone toward what expenses, and so on?
    10) Is there a timeline for raising the money?

Thanks.

Apparently the men's wrestling program was just full reinstated...no details as to how much money it took to get it back:

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...imming%20Next?
    I crack myself up. It is jealousy. It is Boredom. I Did not accomplish enough when I was young, and I hate anybody faster/younger than me.

From the article:

Arizona State University Vice President for Athletics Lisa Love announced Friday that the athletic department is fully reinstating the sport of varsity wrestling, effective immediately, due to financial support from local civic leadership. [my bold]

I have sent some inquiries to the folks at saveASUswimming.com to find out what is going on with efforts to save swimming.

"Local civic leadership" suggests either deep-pocketed donors or deep-pocketed donors who twisted somebody's arm -- "No money for that new biology building if you don't keep wrestling." (Either way is OK, LOL.)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith View Post
    Apparently the men's wrestling program was just full reinstated...no details as to how much money it took to get it back:

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...imming%20Next?

Just a quick mention that I did hear back from those raising funds for ASU swimming and will follow up a bit more. Apparently they do have a figure for what it would cost to sustain the program, do have alum support, do have some support from admin, which is at least talking to them, are raising funds. I'll post more after I talk to the respondent.

VB

Participating Member

ASU men's swimming program needs $240,000.00 per year to run the program. A long term guarantor of that $240,000.00 per year, while fundraisning brings in enough money to build an endowment of 5 million. Yes, the administration is involved and has told them this is what they need. This is what the administration says they need to reinstate the program. Moneys can be donated through the web site: www.saveasuswimming.com or mailed directly. Simon Percy, who has his email linked to the site would be more than happy to answer any questions that you have.

Participating Member

ASU wrestling found their guarantor of annual funding, while they finish raising funds for the endowment fund. Lisa Love AD of ASU reinstated the wrestling program on 5/23/08. ASU will reinstate swimming if a long term guarantor of the annual budget of $240,000 is found, and a good amount of money is raised towards the targeted 5 million dollar endowment. In less than 2 weeks approxiamately 150,000 has been raised. Any one can help with a donation large or small.
    Go to www.saveASUswimming.com We can do this.

Blog Entries

What a relief that they don't need a guarantor for the $1 million raise they gave the head football coach last month considering their budgetary woes.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by gull View Post
    What a relief that they don't need a guarantor for the $1 million raise they gave the head football coach last month considering their budgetary woes.
    And Athletic Director Wolf said to Coach Sheep: give me your $5 million trust fund to guard for you and we will ALWAYS have a men's swimming program.

Sorry to be such a cynic...
    Mel Dyck
    • Certified Level 2 ASCA Coach

Unfortunately, I share your cynicism, or realistic expectation, having seen it in action: restricted funds emptied out for other purposes, annuities used for other purposes once the annuitor died and the funds became available. A piece of paper with a promise typed on it is worth how much when the institution decides to dispose of the money otherwise?

A state institution's budget is also subject to decisions by state legislature.

Good luck to Save ASU Swimming.
    VB

I have many friends that are ASU athletic supporters to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars through the Sol Devil foundation. The ones I have spoken to about swimming could care less about swimming or tennis, wrestling is another story (don't ask me why). All they care about is what Erickson is going to do next year in Pac-10 football and beating the U of A. It is sad, but it is still the fact.

They have also justified how they dropped the programs with no one knowing it was going to happen. They tell me it's business and they are somewhat right I guess. If they can justify the way Love handled the whole situation, that says something for the lack of support for anything but football at ASU. Basketball and baseball get a little attention when they do well, but fact is, the money could care less for ASU swimming.
    These amino acids are awesome, now I need a new Speedo.

Participating Member

Despite what was said before, there are many who are positive about reinstating and building an endowment for ASU swimming. We are doing what we can to save it for the young men who want to swim in college at a D-1 school with rich tradition. The money will go into a 501 3c Non Profit Corporation and will only be used to endow the operating budget of the swim team at ASU. This is the mission and purpose of the 501 3c. Any other use would be criminal (and the money will be sent back to the donors if the program is not reinstated). What we need is help, not negativity and while there are those who don't care, there are plenty of us who do. Over 7,000.00 high school and college age young adults have committed to helping the ASU team raise what they can. $150,000.00 in ten days isn't bad. But it is just a start. If everyone who actually cares, helps a little with a generous donation, we can save this program. Go to www.saveasuswimming.com We shouldn't concern ourselves with who doesn't care. We have a program to save. Young male swimmers are depending on those of us who are fotunate to give to the sport to do so now.

Coach Dia:

Please stop hectoring.
    I have had some email communis with the person at the Web site you linked, who did not give a name. There is NOTHING on the Web site to show that a nonprofit corporation has been set up, nor did the respondent say so, altho' more information was conveyed privately than is on the Web site. Your comment about negativity is unwarranted. I am prepared to make some donation; I am not prepared to work so hard to chase down basic information that should already have been made publicly available.

This effort needs big names and connections to make it work. The Web site should show lead donors. I would also like to know who is advising the fundraising activities. It is a telling comment from a poster that ASU athletic supporters are not supporting swimming. That was not reported negatively; rather, I would say, in sympathy with the plight of swimming.

As I have said, I wish ASU men's swimming good luck. I hope they succeed. The effort in providing information is slow off the ground. Without lead donors willing to publicize their names and go out and beat the bushes and hit up their friends for donations, I do not believe fundraising will succeed. Without a more informative Web site, I do not believe it will. With $5 and $10 donations from individuals, I do not believe it will. And it won't be the end of the world if it doesn't.

Regards, VB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coachdia View Post
    What we need is help, not negativity and while there are those who don't care, there are plenty of us who do.
    Apparently the Board of Regents and the Department of Athletics fall into the category of those who don't care.

Perhaps I am missing something here. The university can afford the $1.5 million per year salary of the football coach, but outside donors will have to pay for the swimming program's $250K annual budget. I feel sorry for the swimmers, but can't we think of other uses for the $5 million you are trying to raise?

Blog Entries

I have to agree with gull on this. While regrettable the program is being shut down, without any noticeable support from anyone in the administration or athletic department, this is a losing cause. If only $150K has been raised in the 3 weeks since the program was cut, it can't bode well for the overall effort. Is there something concrete from the school that states the program will be saved if the money is raised or is this more of a grassroots effort?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast